LPM Apartments - (376' - 36 Stories)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
John
Capella Tower

Re: LPM Apartments - (376' - 36 Stories)

Postby John » April 6th, 2014, 9:56 am

The plan was to include some sort of upscale restaurant at the corner of LaSalle and Spruce Place that's both public but also provides food and meal service for the residents. Many of these large scale apartment projects have this as an amenity to live there.

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » April 6th, 2014, 10:33 am

There are Trader Joe's in Chicago without parking

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » April 6th, 2014, 10:34 am

There are Trader Joe's in Chicago without parking
My bad... I guess it's validated

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » April 6th, 2014, 2:32 pm

They're only stuck in the 60's to the extent that their customers are.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » April 6th, 2014, 2:36 pm

After listening to the NIMBY's I'd say way too many MInneapolitans are stuck in the 50's, 60's, and 70's.

ndokken
City Center

Postby ndokken » April 7th, 2014, 7:24 am

I too have mentioned how awesome it would be if there was a Trader Joes. Wishful thinking, I know. Of course there's going to probably be some boushy overpriced restauarant that yet again nobody can really get too. But god forbid there be such a retailer (Trader Joes) and I'm sure many people will huff and puff thrashing their arms about in the air while screaming "NO NO NO!" And I'm sure there wouldn't be an option for Trader Joes to have it's wine store either because the City of Minneapolis prevents progress (good paying jobs) with antiquated ordinances. I for one would like to have one. Lunds (in downtown) and Kowalskis in Uptown I find ridiculously overpriced as well as burn a hole in your wallet [W]Hole Foods and Target has wilting produce/crappy selection and Rainbow Foods in uptown is too far away. Guess I'll stick to Coborns delivers for us Live-in-the-city folk without vehicles. :cry: (I am merely exaggerating)

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » April 7th, 2014, 8:41 am

Whether or not there's a Trader Joe's at this location will have nothing to do with NIMBY's. This site simply wasn't designed for a major retailer with the kind of intense in-and-out traffic that a grocery store generates.

I do find it somewhat humorous that the above comment knocks restaurants for being bougie -- Trader Joe's has got to be the very epitome of that.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » April 7th, 2014, 10:04 am

Whether or not there's a Trader Joe's at this location will have nothing to do with NIMBY's. This site simply wasn't designed for a major retailer with the kind of intense in-and-out traffic that a grocery store generates.
Yes, A Trader Joe's was never planned for this project from the get-go. The podium's street level at 14th and Spruce Place was designed for a restaurant. And yes, this project is about as 'bougie' as it gets, and I suspect whatever restaurant goes here will be overpriced and pretentious ;)

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » April 9th, 2014, 12:47 pm

The must have been having too much fun today... all sorts of fire trucks, and police and smoke...

Flodisco
Block E

Postby Flodisco » April 14th, 2014, 1:49 pm

The must have been having too much fun today... all sorts of fire trucks, and police and smoke...
I live less than a block away and there are fire trucks there quite often. I believe they are there because occasionally, on the north side of the building, there looks like there is a fire burning in one of the upper floors. It is really eerie. You'd think they would take care of it as it has been going on for 6 weeks or more.

l12
Block E

Postby l12 » April 14th, 2014, 3:21 pm

The Trader Joe's between Uptown/St. Louis Park has such a cramped and small parking lot, I somehow doubt they are such sticklers for parking. Also, Lasalle is a rather big street. Driving by recently I agree that probably the space is just too small for TJs, but I will stay dreaming.

My reason for optimism is also that that TJ has been notoriously trying to get a store in this area, but have been repeatedly stopped by Wedge supporters from going into Lyn-Lake. This might be far enough for that dispute to subside.

ndokken - i would encourage you to give WF another try, I really can't imagine how you can say their produce is crappy in selection or quality. Expensive maybe, but often cheaper than Lund's or Coborn's. And, the city did allow them to put in a liquor store downtown, the first one in MN for WF, so it sounds like it has been the other municipalities in the metro that are more of a PITA for that.

But agreed on the "bougie" level, the prices they are looking for in this building are such that TJ would be an odd fit I suppose.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » April 14th, 2014, 3:24 pm

I believe they are there because occasionally, on the north side of the building, there looks like there is a fire burning in one of the upper floors. It is really eerie. You'd think they would take care of it as it has been going on for 6 weeks or more.
It DOES look like that! I'm pretty sure it's a reflection of someone's balcony Christmas lights at One Ten Grant. You can see it whenever you walk down the Loring Greenway after dark.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » April 16th, 2014, 10:26 am

So, there's this... anyone else not really impressed with the quality of finishes? Maybe it's just the quality of the pictures, but looks to me like laminate wood flooring, relatively cheap cabinetry and really thin granite counter tops.

http://animoto.com/play/0pGjKg6DJea7p7a ... ign=player

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » April 16th, 2014, 10:27 am

I think I'll wait to pass judgement until you can see it for more than a couple of seconds.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » April 16th, 2014, 10:48 am

My reason for optimism is also that that TJ has been notoriously trying to get a store in this area, but have been repeatedly stopped by Wedge supporters from going into Lyn-Lake.
Let's be clear on this. A lot of people opposed that plan because of the suburban form of the proposal, not because of the business. Personally, I can't stand TJ for a lot of reasons.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » April 16th, 2014, 3:51 pm

Also... Repeatedly? Try once.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » April 16th, 2014, 3:53 pm

Unless you're counting the le Paris 2, which I don't count as Lyn Lake. But even then, twice.

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » April 18th, 2014, 3:38 pm

Looks like first residents will be moving in July 1st. A little sooner than I was expecting.

And I have to agree, the finishes and interiors aren't nearly at the level I'd expect from this project. They feel a little too cheap.
i talk too much. web dev, downtown. admin @ tower.ly

Matt
Metrodome

Postby Matt » May 3rd, 2014, 2:09 pm

Taken today:

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » May 3rd, 2014, 2:33 pm

Taken today:
Awesome shots. We may have been there at the same time.

(That is, I'm glad none of these pictures show me coming out of Rainbow Road.)
i talk too much. web dev, downtown. admin @ tower.ly