LPM Apartments - (376' - 36 Stories)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Andrew_F
Rice Park

Re: LPM Apartments - (1368 LaSalle Avenue)

Postby Andrew_F » September 25th, 2013, 3:36 pm

The tower might, but that base would be a huge waste of suave. It would have to go eat of Michigan, west of Wells, or north of Chicago.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » October 3rd, 2013, 6:24 am

this new milwaukee tower looks similar to LPM imo
http://www.jsonline.com/multimedia/phot ... 93772.html

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » October 3rd, 2013, 10:58 am

this new milwaukee tower looks similar to LPM imo
http://www.jsonline.com/multimedia/phot ... 93772.html
LPM does have similarity with the curved angle on the south side of the tower, but the context of this building is quite different. The curved form is meant to weave the Milwaukee skyline together and connects the US Bank Building with the lakefront art museum and condos towers to the north. It also pays homage to Lake Michigan with its sail-like image. It is a very ambitious 450 million dollar project by Northwestern Mutual Insurance company that will dramatically change the dynamics of downtown Milwaukee. Just wish we could get Target to do the same here rather than build out in suburbia :x

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » October 3rd, 2013, 11:42 am

I personally dont even think the Northwestern Mutual building is all that impressive. Doesnt have much height. Yes, it adds to the Milwaukee skyline, but that is because the Milwaukee skyline is pretty pathetic. I would argue the St Paul skyline is MUCH better.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » October 3rd, 2013, 11:46 am

really i rather like that milwaukee tower. still prefer LPM but milwaukee is building some nice buildings of late.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » October 3rd, 2013, 1:47 pm

really i rather like that milwaukee tower. still prefer LPM but milwaukee is building some nice buildings of late.
IMO, LPM and the Milwaukee tower are both great designs. The insurance building's architect is Pickard Chilton and they did a great job. I do agree Go4guy we definitely have a better skyline in Mpls, but the new tower will actually create a true skyline for them (which they didn't have in the past).

uptowncarag

Postby uptowncarag » October 3rd, 2013, 3:29 pm

Pretty sad that a 32 story tower is going to re-shape their skyline. At least it is for business and not residential. That would be a disaster with their demographics.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » October 3rd, 2013, 3:42 pm

That would be a disaster with their demographics.
Not sure what you're getting at there, but Milwaukee has had a very significant downtown residential boom. There are many parts of Milwaukee that feel much more urban (in the good vibrant way, not the scary brown people way) than Minneapolis.

MS3

Postby MS3 » October 3rd, 2013, 5:42 pm

Keep in mind that 32 story tower is 550 feet tall. I know a lot of US city's skylines a tower like that could "reshape". Good for Milwaukee.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 3rd, 2013, 6:04 pm

Keep in mind that 32 story tower is 550 feet tall. I know a lot of US city's skylines a tower like that could "reshape". Good for Milwaukee.
It would be our 6th tallest building if built here. I'm happy for MKE and any upper midwest city that gets some cool architecture and helps show the coasts we play ball.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » October 3rd, 2013, 9:28 pm

We don't just PLAY ball, we MAKE the ball!

uptowncarag

Postby uptowncarag » October 4th, 2013, 3:38 pm

Not sure what you're getting at there, but Milwaukee has had a very significant downtown residential boom. There are many parts of Milwaukee that feel much more urban (in the good vibrant way, not the scary brown people way) than Minneapolis.
I am talking jobs, white collar jobs. Lets face it, Milwaukee is not a city people talk about in the same breath as Minneapolis and the Twin Cities. It is a blue collar town.

m b p
Nicollet Mall

Postby m b p » October 5th, 2013, 11:33 am

M-town is a blue collar town that's an hours drive to a huuuuuuge white collar town (Chicago). It's sort of like... St Cloud is to Minneapolis-St. Paul as Milwaukee is to Chicago. At least that's how it felt when I was going to college in the Chicago area... excuse me... I mean 'Chicagoland.' Their economies and their residents are very much intertwined.

BTW... I'm not saying that M-town doesn't have it's own identity or culture. It has plenty.

AccordGuy
Metrodome

Postby AccordGuy » October 5th, 2013, 3:13 pm

Hello All,
This is my first ever post on urbanmsp and I'm very happy to have this forum I learn so much from. This year I have had the pleasure of meeting some of you at the last two happy hour events.
That said, I have to add that I have seen MKE grow and embrace it's blue collar history and vibe over the last twenty or so years. The downtown area is surprisingly vibrant after hours and just south of that is the 3rd Ward area which has seen many old buildings rehabbed and put to good use. This new tower near the lakeshore and the art museum will really give Milwaukee a great new landmark.
Born in Minneapolis.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » October 5th, 2013, 8:58 pm

Great to see Milwaukee moving in the right direction and starting to finally get the credit that it deserves. I've only driven through there but I've heard almost exclusively great things about MKE and it seems like the kind of town Minneapolis strives to be (at least at the urban neighborhood level).

bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Postby bapster2006 » October 6th, 2013, 2:03 pm

From the pedestrian bridge near 394, just west of downtown.

LPM 10-5-13 by bapster2006, on Flickr

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 7th, 2013, 12:30 pm

Thanks for the pics Bapster! I think from that view (from the west) The Carlyle and LPM are going to do a good job of anchoring the ends of our skyline, it's kind of funny the more historic building is in a more modern/new neighborhood, and LPM is in the more historic neighborhood. Great contrast and density for our streets AND our skyline. So much to fill in between now!

martykoessel
Landmark Center

Postby martykoessel » October 7th, 2013, 1:16 pm

Hey, am I the only one to be bothered by the line about "the scary brown people?" For me it was like fingernails on a chalk board. Has no one else noticed that downtown Minneapolis is walked by lots of brown people who are not scary and lots of white people who are clearly creepy? I know this is a development forum, but I felt compelled to call this one out and see if I'm alone here.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » October 7th, 2013, 1:18 pm

I think it was intended to be a ridiculous statement.

Also, for what it's worth, Milwaukee is a super racist town.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » October 7th, 2013, 1:23 pm

It was very much said in jest, effectively making fun of an alternate definition/perception of the word "urban".

Sarcasm/jokes are always tough on the internet, but I assure you, on MNdible's behalf, it was an attempt at humor, and it worked (for me anyways).

[and what FISHMANPET said]