LPM Apartments - (376' - 36 Stories)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Nick
Capella Tower

Re: LPM Apartments - (376' - 36 Stories)

Postby Nick » February 18th, 2015, 11:12 pm

Er, yeah, you know what I mean.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Postby bapster2006 » February 19th, 2015, 9:21 am

John, how long have you lived there? I ask because I remember in the late 80's/early 90's there was a big media frenzy about crime in the area, including assaults and muders of gay men. It may be that people still have that experience in their minds. But I would have been starting high school at the time so I have no idea if a) I'm remebering correctly and b) the media completely overexaggerated things at the time.

Just trying to explain why people may feel nervous about the area.
David, your memory is correct. I went out with a girl in 1989 and she had told me that her gay friend had been attacked with a knife and cut. Since that was my first experience with Loring Park, that memory stuck with me for many years. Now that I have gone to great events like Cultivate and Pride, and spent time there in the evening I have never felt unsafe. But I think those memories from long-ago still stick in some peoples minds.

l12
Block E

Postby l12 » February 19th, 2015, 12:20 pm

For my own preferences, I don't "get" Loring Park. Other than being close to downtown and there aren't many/any lower priced apartments within downtown itself, Loring Park doesn't seem to have a lot going for it. I suppose if you work downtown, but spend a lot of time in Whittier/Uptown, it could make perfect sense. But there are presumably a number of people living in Loring Park who A) don't work downtown and B) own a car and don't have off-street parking. I have no idea what those folks are thinking.
You kind of nailed it. As a North Loop to LP migrant, I can tell you that:

1. If you go often to Uptown/Lyn-Lake/LP/Whitter/Eat Street, which I do, or really anywhere in South or Southwest Mpls/'burbs, it gets really old driving through downtown Hennepin or First Ave traffic, stopping every block, checking the calendar for the frequent Twins or Target Center events which make this much worse, then finally coming home at night to a police roadblock that sends you all the way east to 3rd Avenue to continue your trip north and west again.

2. If you need easy access to I-94 or 35W for commuting, LP is awesome, you basically have no city traffic to deal with and get right on/off the highway. Contrast that with the North Loop where you will double your commute time and triple the frustration in stop and go Washington all the way to Cedar-Riverside highway entrances, or backtracking west to N Lyndale.

3. I have noticed that this neighborhood is extremely full of people with dogs. I don't have one, but people seem to love being able to take their dog to a park, and living in a leafy neighborhood where the dog sees squirrels & bunnies and can dig in dirt and grass. When I lived in North Loop I had to go pretty far to see even one tree or green anything.

I agree it's not ideal if you have a car and not off-street parking, but I'm not sure why you presume many people here have that situation. I am under the impression most residents either have off-street parking or go car-free. Close proximity to Hennepin, Nicollet, and Franklin gives plenty of mass transit options, and there are always plenty of Car2gos parked throughout the 'hood.

sushisimo
Landmark Center

Postby sushisimo » February 19th, 2015, 1:13 pm

1 and 2 resonate with me for sure. I lived on Oak Grove Street for 3 years (had off-street parking) and loved it At first, I was working in the western 'burbs, and it was slick and easy getting on 394. Then, I worked in the IDS, so I walked. So LP served me well in that regard.

Then I moved up near the river in '03 and hated what I had done because that area hadn't quite "boomed" yet and really lacked the neighborhood warmth that LP has. I still miss having the park, somewhat intriguing terrain and variety of buildings. And it's true, getting to Uptown is now a tedious chore, although now I've aged out of the demographic who finds Uptown appealing enough to want to go there a lot. At the time of me being in LP, Uptown was easy to get to and more age-appropriate.

At this point, I don't think I'd want to give up being near the river, but if LPM turned condo, I'd be excited and consider it, if the prices wouldn't knock me on my keister first. I'm still partial to the neighborhood's aesthetic. And proximity to the 19 :P .

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 19th, 2015, 2:19 pm

You guys go downtown to get from LP/Uptown to North Loop? I always go around the back of the burner... Royaston/11th/12th past Lees, or Lyndale (94 frontage roads).

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » February 19th, 2015, 2:59 pm

I agree it's not ideal if you have a car and not off-street parking, but I'm not sure why you presume many people here have that situation. I am under the impression most residents either have off-street parking or go car-free. Close proximity to Hennepin, Nicollet, and Franklin gives plenty of mass transit options, and there are always plenty of Car2gos parked throughout the 'hood.
Driving around the neighborhood after the work day ends gives me the impression otherwise - there appear to be a ton of people without off-street parking. I had a friend who rejected LP outright because we trolled through at 9 pm to get a good grasp on the situation and couldn't for the 15 minutes we drove around find a single spot (I kid you not). That's much less of an issue during the day (presumably when these people are at work).

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » February 19th, 2015, 3:09 pm

Anecdote: I lived on LaSalle and Groveland (not technically LP) for 5 years up until last summer. My wife and I almost never had to park more than a block away. (85% of the time, spots were within a block, 13% within two blocks, and 2% more than 2 blocks.)

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » February 19th, 2015, 3:11 pm

^I do think the parking issue dies of pretty quickly in certain areas. At the time there was some construction happening (so a few spots were taken up by dumpsters/equipment, but not many). But she was absolutely opposed to potentially walking several blocks out of safety concerns at night. I'm not a woman, so while I personally don't mind a few block walk in a pretty safe neighborhood, I can understand the concern.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » February 19th, 2015, 3:15 pm

When I lived in Uptown and worked downtown I'd either ride my bike, take the bus and drive. I had no problem going up Hennepin in the morning prior to 6am. ZOOM. Going home never would I take Hennepin or 1st Ave, I took Portland south to 26th west to Bryant, avoiding Lyndale/Lake, south on Bryant, west on Lake, south on Colfax and then west to my house on 31st. I avoided a lot of lights and traffic that way. The bus in the morning, 15 minutes, going home nearly an hour. Not recommended.

robotlollipop
Metrodome

Postby robotlollipop » February 20th, 2015, 2:36 pm

Driving around the neighborhood after the work day ends gives me the impression otherwise - there appear to be a ton of people without off-street parking. I had a friend who rejected LP outright because we trolled through at 9 pm to get a good grasp on the situation and couldn't for the 15 minutes we drove around find a single spot (I kid you not). That's much less of an issue during the day (presumably when these people are at work).
As a person who currently lives in hollywood, this cracks me up. I get done with work pretty late so that makes it worse but I'd love to find a something within 15 minutes every time I go home. It would also be nice if those hookers didn't come up to my window every time I slow down to see if I could fit in spot.

5th Ave Guy
Landmark Center

Postby 5th Ave Guy » February 20th, 2015, 3:29 pm

You guys go downtown to get from LP/Uptown to North Loop? I always go around the back of the burner... Royaston/11th/12th past Lees, or Lyndale (94 frontage roads).
It took me a year or so of living in the North Loop to figure out that this route is so much faster in both directions.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » April 6th, 2015, 2:03 pm

Lakes & Legends Brewery moving into 12,000 square feet of LPM. http://www.vita.mn/crawl/298802441.html

I didn't expect a full-blown brewery moving into this building, I have to say.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » April 6th, 2015, 2:45 pm

The name, It's terrible.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

ztr421
Nicollet Mall

Postby ztr421 » April 6th, 2015, 3:05 pm

The name, It's terrible.
Ha! It sounds a little D&D to me.

Seems like a good thing for that spot, though.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » April 6th, 2015, 3:14 pm

Not only is a taproom opening four blocks from me, but one focusing on Belgian and farmhouse ales? looks like I'm renewing my lease, that terrible name notwithstanding.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » April 6th, 2015, 3:28 pm

The name, It's terrible.
Totally. They could have gone with Legends & Leaders, since the Big Ten gave up on it.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » April 6th, 2015, 3:55 pm

The name, It's terrible.
Totally. They could have gone with Legends & Leaders, since the Big Ten gave up on it.
Dang, you beat to the joke.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » April 6th, 2015, 4:02 pm

Bad name.

Construction "within two weeks" looks p unlikely. I wonder if there are any issues with it being across the street from a school?
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

proverfent
Block E

Postby proverfent » April 6th, 2015, 4:08 pm

This is my very first post. I have been following urbanmsp for about a year now and check it religiously. I had to create an account when I saw something was going to be in LPM. As a person who is moving to LPM this summer, I am very excited to see it will be a brewery. I think it will bring something fresh and new to Loring Park. I know there are several restaurants nearby on Nicollet, as well as Lorking Kitchen, one block away, but does anyone think news of a brewery could bring any new restaurants near LPM, or Loring Park in general?

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » April 6th, 2015, 4:52 pm

I seem to recall that Dangerous Man was able to get the restriction lifted for taprooms, right?