LPM Apartments - (376' - 36 Stories)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
kregger22

Re: LPM Apartments - (376' - 36 Stories)

Postby kregger22 » December 13th, 2013, 10:00 am

I hope, and think developers will, build more residential towers around it.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » December 13th, 2013, 10:01 am

Loved the comment deriding the building because it wasn't built for Somalis. City Pages vs Strib commenters in a nutshell.
Towns!

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » December 13th, 2013, 12:09 pm

The Loring Park neighborhood is a dense jumble of architectural styles with 20-30 story towers standing next to 120 year old houses or early 20th century walk-up apartment buildings. There's even a couple tiny cottages that look like they belong in a small town. It's quirky and unpredictable. This capricious character is what really gives it a unique urban charm that can't be found anywhere else in Minnesota. LPM undoubtedly adds to this in a big way. Awesome! :D

sushisimo
Landmark Center

Postby sushisimo » December 13th, 2013, 2:48 pm

and it went on a surface parking lot, I'm sure that was doing a lot for the neighborhood that guy is saying goodbye to.
He probably had definitive character building memories associated with that parking lot, which (like most Minneapolitans) are invariably connected to Moby Dick's, the NW weather ball and his favorite pair of socks purchased at Powers Department Store. Those were the days, man. :roll:

ndokken
City Center

Postby ndokken » December 17th, 2013, 10:13 am

I love how some people are claiming that LPM is destroying the neighborhood...because you know, I'd MUCH rather see another beautiful Volunteers of America building, or the one across the street from it along with all the street urchins stumbling off Nicollet Mall

Minnekid
Nicollet Mall

Postby Minnekid » December 17th, 2013, 10:10 pm

The point on the Volunteers of America building is true because its low-income housing in the wrong spot. I don't think they can really do anything about it since it houses so many people. Personally, my old Russian grandma is very lucky to live in this building. She lives right in the middle of the city, where everything is accessible by bus and walk, for the reason that she does have a license, let alone own a car. :)

Minneapolisite

Postby Minneapolisite » December 27th, 2013, 9:36 pm

I'm pretty sure this is why the owner(s?) of the 3 story Kensington Apartments building sitting adjacent to the tower has been seeking to demo the structure which houses rare affordable downtown housing in favor of a commercial structure. Just sayin', I mean, how many studio apartments can you find Downtown in the mid-$500 range?

JordanWasaN
Block E

Postby JordanWasaN » December 28th, 2013, 2:01 am

I'm pretty sure this is why the owner(s?) of the 3 story Kensington Apartments building sitting adjacent to the tower has been seeking to demo the structure which houses rare affordable downtown housing in favor of a commercial structure. Just sayin', I mean, how many studio apartments can you find Downtown in the mid-$500 range?
I'm going to assume the only way that building is getting demo'd is through arson.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » December 28th, 2013, 12:39 pm

I'm going to assume the only way that building is getting demo'd is through arson.
Don't give anybody any bright ideas.....I'm sure that goes without saying, but I actually knew somebody (freind of a friend of a friend kind of thing) who tried to escape their monthly rent payment by lighting the building on fire, incidentally killing two of its inhabitants.

Isn't pretty much all of Loring Park in a "historic neighborhood" though?

Minneapolisite

Postby Minneapolisite » December 28th, 2013, 4:56 pm

That building did not have that designation hence the owner's plan, but I think it was recently included earlier this year according to a resident there, which I'm guessing would make it more difficult to tear down...or not. Being on the National Register of Historic Places doesn't protect buildings from demolition, so I'd hope local designation actually means something. Oh, and for some reason LPM looks more squat than expected, which I'll attribute to the big fat parking garage on the first 5 floors.

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » January 3rd, 2014, 9:09 am

Spruce side first level now has frosted glass squares being installed. These are the ones that will eventually cover a good portion of the parking ramp.

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » January 13th, 2014, 10:04 am

This was taken a few days ago, and more frosted glass has been installed by today.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/92pjkapyfsh9b ... 0Glass.JPG

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » January 13th, 2014, 8:49 pm

Somehow I expected this to be more silvery.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » January 13th, 2014, 8:58 pm

Somehow I expected this to be more silvery.
I'm thinking the frosted green glass will be the same on the crown as the podium exterior. I'm betting it will be backlit like the crown. Will look awesome at night!

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » January 14th, 2014, 9:27 am

Sorry, I meant the entire building I expected to be more silvery.

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » January 14th, 2014, 9:38 am

I have to say I'm also a bit disappointed with how the building looks. I hate that you can see all of the seems in the glass. I was expecting it to look more fluid like the IDS.

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » January 14th, 2014, 9:51 am

I have to say I'm also a bit disappointed with how the building looks. I hate that you can see all of the seems in the glass. I was expecting it to look more fluid like the IDS.
It's ok to be disappointed, but considering this project is just over half done, don't you think it's a tad premature to pass judgment on finishing details and features? You might be right, but there's a ton of time left and they still have the purple gypsum or whatever on the sides. Either way, though, it's going to be stunning, especially once the crown lights up!

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » January 14th, 2014, 10:46 am

If you want a good reference for what the end quality of this building will be, go look at images of the Lakeshore East neighborhood in Chicago, which was developed almost entirely by Magellan and designed by the same architectural firm working on LPM. The way this building looks, while not exactly like the renderings suggested, is pretty similar to Magellan's previous work.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » January 14th, 2014, 1:09 pm

If you want a good reference for what the end quality of this building will be, go look at images of the Lakeshore East neighborhood in Chicago, which was developed almost entirely by Magellan and designed by the same architectural firm working on LPM. The way this building looks, while not exactly like the renderings suggested, is pretty similar to Magellan's previous work.
No problems with the quality. I just wished it had more of a reflective quality to it. As per their presentations and like the designs seen at Lakeshore East i.e. The Lancaster and The Chandler.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » January 14th, 2014, 2:57 pm

Under certain light conditions, it does look full-on stunning.