Nic on Fifth - (290' - 26 Stories)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Nic on Fifth - (455 Nicollet Mall)

Postby mnmike » November 20th, 2012, 12:35 am

Why does every article keep saying the first residential high rise in 30 years? Lauren Village is not 30 years old. Also, I wish we could get a new height on this. From what I calculate it should be around 300 feet. I am not really clear on whether it is 26 or 27 stories...or if it was originally 33 or 34 stories! The renderings make it look like it was 34, then 27. It looks like they took off 6 residential stories and one parking story...which then I think would put it around 290 only.

Lancestar2

Re: Nicollet Residences - (455 Nicollet Mall)

Postby Lancestar2 » November 20th, 2012, 1:54 am

Apparently this is called "Nic on Fifth" now. :ugeek:

Trying saying it 5 times super fast and NOT laugh!! :lol: Where in the world do they come up with these names!

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » November 20th, 2012, 6:59 am

it's the first highrise residential within the core in decades so that statement is accurate. laurel village is not in the core.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » November 20th, 2012, 7:32 am

Happy Tuesday! I love the smell of tearing up a surface parking lot in the morning.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » November 20th, 2012, 8:05 am

it's the first highrise residential within the core in decades so that statement is accurate. laurel village is not in the core.

Then what rental highrise is "in the core" that was built 30 years ago? I can't think of any. The greenway apartments are no more in the core than 11th and Henn, and neither is The Churchill. Are they talking about Symphony place? That would only be one block closer to "the core" than 11th and Henn. What about The metro apartments? Isn't that 18 stories and right in the core...built in the 2000s? Still seems like a bad statement to me. Not that it really matters, just saying.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » November 20th, 2012, 8:56 am

centre village was built in the 80's.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » November 20th, 2012, 9:24 am

Again, not that it really matters, but Centre Village isn't anymore in the core than Henn and 11th...and it certainly isn't more in "the core" than the hideous Metro Apartments, that were built in 2001. Anyway, I still disagree with the incessant claims that this is the first all rental high rise in 3 decades...but that is all I am going to say about that, because it is off topic:) Sorry! I am glad work is starting:)

http://www.emporis.com/building/the-met ... lis-mn-usa

"•The Metro Apartments is the first high-rise residential building constructed in Downtown Minneapolis since Wilson Park Tower was completed in 1991."

spectre000
Landmark Center

Postby spectre000 » November 20th, 2012, 9:30 am

Why does every article keep saying the first residential high rise in 30 years? Lauren Village is not 30 years old. Also, I wish we could get a new height on this. From what I calculate it should be around 300 feet. I am not really clear on whether it is 26 or 27 stories...or if it was originally 33 or 34 stories! The renderings make it look like it was 34, then 27. It looks like they took off 6 residential stories and one parking story...which then I think would put it around 290 only.
I was in ESG's office a couple months ago and saw a model of this building on Skethup. If memory serves I was told it will be 291 feet tall.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » November 20th, 2012, 9:33 am

That seems right. A bit disappointing, but I am so glad the lot will be filled with something significant. I just hope it turns out attractive. How did the model look?

PS, on a random note..I came across the plans for Xcel's new building on the city's website...said it will be 161 feet, which is kind of tall for 9 floors. Must have really high ceilings. It also said they are waiving the nicollet retail frontage for that building.

spectre000
Landmark Center

Postby spectre000 » November 20th, 2012, 9:40 am

That seems right. A bit disappointing, but I am so glad the lot will be filled with something significant. I just hope it turns out attractive. How did the model look?
Well it was a computer rendering so nothing really earth shattering. But pretty cool nonetheless. It was interesting to see such a major project being designed and rendered on a free software program. Kinda remarkable.

beykite
Nicollet Mall

Postby beykite » November 20th, 2012, 4:35 pm

Well it was a computer rendering so nothing really earth shattering. But pretty cool nonetheless. It was interesting to see such a major project being designed and rendered on a free software program. Kinda remarkable.
Are you sure it wasn't Sketch Up Pro? The pay version? I was surprised how much more is possible with pro than with the free version.

As Elf said parking lot demo is underway, they were also unloading concrete barriers and setting them up along the permitter. We officially have 2 skyscrapers under construction! :D

Yourpalborno
City Center

Postby Yourpalborno » November 20th, 2012, 4:50 pm

We officially have 2 skyscrapers under construction! :D
Kinda sad we consider sub-300 foot buildings skyscrapers in this town. Are we ever going to have something over 40 or 50 stories built again in this town?

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » November 20th, 2012, 5:17 pm

Kinda sad we consider sub-300 foot buildings skyscrapers in this town. Are we ever going to have something over 40 or 50 stories built again in this town?
Now let me tell you my friend from my own experience: you are going to open up a can of worms with this comment! :lol: I've really come around and I'm excited about his happening. It will fill a long vacant surface parking lot and the street level will be beautiful. And don't worry. It won't be long before a couple really tall towers are proposed and built. There are definitely people interested in building something very prominent for Minneapolis. It's going to happen

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Postby mplser » November 20th, 2012, 5:26 pm

yeah I MIGHT call the loring project a skyscraper (it's like 375 feet tall, right?), but this one is definitely "highrise" at most.

612transplant
Nicollet Mall

Postby 612transplant » November 20th, 2012, 6:21 pm

Now let me tell you my friend from my own experience: you are going to open up a can of worms with this comment! :lol: I've really come around and I'm excited about his happening. It will fill a long vacant surface parking lot and the street level will be beautiful. And don't worry. It won't be long before a couple really tall towers are proposed and built. There are definitely people interested in building something very prominent for Minneapolis. It's going to happen
Not to call into question your sources, since I know you've mentioned this other places and I am sure it is sensitive info without being publicly released, BUT....

....I have heard "a fifty story skyscraper is imminent" for Minneapolis so often over the past six to eight years that I really struggle to believe it. I hope that within a few months or so you can make me eat crow on this board, though-- I definitely think that some of the push and pull elements necessary to making it happen are there, although I don't have anywhere near the connections a lot of people on this board do to put my own mind at ease.

Concerning the semantics of highrise vs. skyscraper: I don't think there's any hard fast rule, but have heard that a highrise is a skyscraper when it exceeds 300 feet. And, as mplser correctly points out, LaSalle will not be "sub 300 feet"...

Andrew_F
Rice Park

Postby Andrew_F » November 20th, 2012, 6:35 pm

There's no official definition of what's a skyscraper and what isn't. Check out what the CTBUH has to say about height in context: http://www.ctbuh.org/HighRiseInfo/Talle ... fault.aspx

beykite
Nicollet Mall

Postby beykite » November 20th, 2012, 7:02 pm

Oops didn't mean to derail the entire thread. We officially have two rather tall buildings under construction.

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » November 20th, 2012, 7:59 pm

I'm just can't believe all the negativity and hostility about the height not being high enough! Such a great addition to downtown by getting rid of the parking ramp and ugly space! Plus the Xcel energy offices will fill the block nicely! Also the new Whole foods apartment complex will also be another great housing project and both of them I think will have a greater impact in helping the Library Park become a reality! Amazing progress is happening that is starting to transform a block of land into a community that could be as defined and as popular as Loring Park Neighborhood is today!

But NOOOOOO! we all can't get past being bitter and pissed off about the height of the building. :roll: What about how well the building will function in the space? Tons of new apartments right on the LRT line that will be a wonderfully urban place to live with a brand new grocery store just blocks away and even more (Target & Lunds) a bit further. I see this building as a huge improvement to increasing the population too.

If you wan't to bitch about the building height I think it's about time we start a thread in the "anything goes" tab and move all the complaining, and dicussion on the correct height of a skyscraper or high rise or "suburb type building" ect ect ect ect.!

Also I suggest you reconsider moving to NYC for a few years I think you would be in HEAVEN with all the city planning and tall buildings they build! ;)

spectre000
Landmark Center

Postby spectre000 » November 20th, 2012, 9:28 pm

Are you sure it wasn't Sketch Up Pro? The pay version? I was surprised how much more is possible with pro than with the free version.
It could very well have been. I was studying the actual building more than the computer software. ;)

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » November 20th, 2012, 9:32 pm

I think we've misunderstood this post. John is saying that talking about it being taller is a can of worms, not that there's some secret 50 story building in the works. By jumping on him you're just proving his point...