Nic on Fifth - (290' - 26 Stories)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Re: Nic on Fifth - (290' - 26 Stories)

Postby Archiapolis » January 31st, 2014, 4:17 pm

What's the deal with placing the walk-in-closets behind the bathrooms in the larger layouts? I'd rather go through a closet/dressing room to reach the bathroom, especially since the 'stool' is not in a separate enclosure.
Interesting. It seems like every developer/management team sees this issue a little differently. I'd love to see a poll on this issue:
Bedroom-->Closet-->Bathroom
or
Bedroom-->Bathroom-->Closet

cddouglas
Block E

Postby cddouglas » January 31st, 2014, 5:33 pm

Those penthouse finishes look real nice. Might even call them luxurious.
They are really nice, especially for MN (more similar to Chicago rentals). We went in yesterday and ended up leasing a terrace unit. They and the penthouse floors have upgraded finishes and appliances with slide in gas ranges, large capacity French door refrigerators, range hoods, microwaves hidden in the island, tiled tub and showers, frameless glass shower enclosures, offset tiled bathroom floors, soaking tubs, customizable master closet organizers, upgraded lighting, hardware, Berber carpeting in bedrooms, and some other stuff that I forget. Many have fireplaces, powder rooms, dens, and larger terraces or balconies. Ours will have a terrace larger than some apartments I've lived in in New York. Surprisingly, except for the large penthouses on the top few floors, rents are very similar to other recently opened "luxury" buildings from what I could tell.

All units have tiled showers (no fiberglass, thank god), nicer finishes than in most rental buildings here and the choice of "classic" (dark brown cabinets and floors) or "signature" finishes (gray/black floors, white cabinets). The cabinets could be better quality from what I saw but they weren't bad.

Parking is extra, ranging from $195-$295/month. I didn't see a map of the garage yet so am not sure what the difference is for. With light rail and hourly car options, we probably won't lease another car when our lease is finished.

Storage cages are available pretty reasonably, from $40 - $65/month. I don't remember the sizes.

One question, I have followed many of the threads here for a couple years but have never posted. Why is the word l u x u r y starred out???

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » January 31st, 2014, 5:55 pm

One question, I have followed many of the threads here for a couple years but have never posted. Why is the word l u x u r y starred out???
We're big on snark here. Every once and a while a buzzword that gets overused gets censored out. Vibrant used to be censored, but not anymore.

We want to be sure to not take ourselves too seriously. Welcome to the forum!

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » January 31st, 2014, 6:03 pm

Luxury became synonymous with new and was ruined due to overuse.

POINT OF ORDER: Can I unblock luxury and change the filter to turn "hub" into "schmub"?
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » January 31st, 2014, 8:13 pm

If we're talking about over-used buzzwords, then "car sewer" is certainly due for some censoring.

cddouglas
Block E

Postby cddouglas » January 31st, 2014, 8:21 pm

l****y became synonymous with new and was ruined due to overuse.

POINT OF ORDER: Can I unblock l****y and change the filter to turn "hub" into "schmub"?
Actually, you all had a good point in blocking luxury after I thought about it. Every new building going up uses the word, even if counter tops are Formica, there is no garbage disposal, it has fiberglass tubs or showers surrounds or is a 6 story wood frame. Its very overused and rarely accurate :D

Silophant

Postby Silophant » February 1st, 2014, 4:34 pm

The tower crane came down on Friday afternoon.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

minnyapple
Nicollet Mall

Postby minnyapple » February 1st, 2014, 9:23 pm

^Now we need 4Marq's tower crane to go up!

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » February 1st, 2014, 10:14 pm

Is that not what they're doing in that picture? I see one crane lifting a piece of another crane somewhere. Perhaps they're constructing the 4Marq crane...

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » February 2nd, 2014, 2:22 pm

They haven't started any site work on 4marq yet. I thought I heard someone say that the crane from LPM apartments was going to be used for the 4marq site. I've to to imagine that the crane will be in use for another month or two on that site yet.

JackGrayson
City Center

Postby JackGrayson » February 22nd, 2014, 2:39 am

I can deny it no longer. The Nic is kind of ugly. It reminds me of the Ebeneezer senior-housing tower in the Phillips neighborhood. If only the LPM Apartments were built on The Nic site instead.

Other things the Nic on 5th looks like:

-A Breadbasket Cell Phone
-A Vending Machine
-A Hotel Room Minibar
-A Mr.Clean Magic Eraser
-A Rolling Suitcase
-A Foot-pedal operated wastebasket
-An Ice Cream Bar
-A Laundry Hamper

I could go on but I think you get my drift

Chauncey87
Nicollet Mall

Postby Chauncey87 » February 22nd, 2014, 4:10 am

It looks fine for what it is. This is the definition of infill. Most everybody from the south, west, and east wont even be able to see it. With limited views from the north. I am not advocating ugly buildings but in the context of where and how tall this building is just doesn't justify expanding the design budget. With the coming development of the block just north of here even more people will not even notice it in the skyline. As a self professed lover of skyline's this building will at first be seen by some from the north, but in a couple years get swallowed up from buildings that are in the planing stages as we speak. So really calling this building ugly is just like making fun of the teen with bad acne as in the "cure" will arrive in a couple years so get your laughs in now.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » February 22nd, 2014, 9:09 am

there's no arguing that this is a boring building. what were really getting out of it is a very VERY improved sidewalk and street presence at 5th and Nicollet. that's more important to people's day to day lives and the walkability of minneapolis. believe it or not ( I'm always looking up) when people are walking around DT aside from New comers most don't look up past oh 6floors, it just matters what seems inviting on the first couple floors.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » February 22nd, 2014, 10:30 am

The big question for me is if Opus can do better with the block north of Nic on Fifth ? They seem so corporate and conservative. Nic on Fifth just reflects those values in a sense, even though I do agree the street level is good and it looks alright as infill. They really should try ( as hard as they can) to do something more ambitious architecturally even if its 30 stories. This whole Washington/ Hennepin/Nicollet Mall area is a very rare opportunity to create a brand new focal point downtown. There are very few cities anywhere that are lucky enough to have the circumstances to achieve this potential. Our city should not allow a "business as usual" approach to urban design in this area.

City slicker

Postby City slicker » February 22nd, 2014, 10:00 pm

I agree with you John- this area has great potential. I don't want to start a height quarrel with this as its already been quarreled out, but someone posted a pic of nic on fifth here at I believe 50 stories and it looked rock solid compared to the same stout design it is now. That's how see this area. Not an area with mediocre infill.

skyrab

Postby skyrab » February 22nd, 2014, 10:23 pm

[quote="John"]The big question for me is if Opus can do better with the block north of Nic on Fifth ? They seem so corporate and conservative. Nic on Fifth just reflects those values in a sense, even though I do agree the street level is good and it looks alright as infill. They really should try ( as hard as they can) to do something more ambitious architecturally even if its 30 stories. This whole Washington/ Hennepin/Nicollet Mall area is a very rare opportunity to create a brand new focal point downtown. There are very few cities anywhere that are lucky enough to have the circumstances to achieve this potential. Our city should not allow a "business as usual" approach to urban design in this area.[/quote]

Definitely feel you on this. Thinking about one or two or three buildings 30-50 stories (forget about supertall for now), an homage to the skinny/tower w/spire Foshay Tower (and not so obelisk perhaps) yet in beautiful reflective glass skin, set-backs as it reaches up. Anyhow, off topic of Nic on 5th; but felt the need to support your sentiments.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » February 22nd, 2014, 11:07 pm

What are your guys' thoughts on consolidating downtown Minneapolis into one supertall building?

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » February 22nd, 2014, 11:18 pm

What are your guys' thoughts on consolidating downtown Minneapolis into one supertall building?
You mean copy Antoni Gaudi's (if you know who he is) 1908 Grand Hotel proposal in Manhattan ? Yes!

City slicker

Postby City slicker » February 22nd, 2014, 11:23 pm

Even if we did that it would still be 1 foot shorter than the IDS's.

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » February 23rd, 2014, 12:03 am

Maybe it's just me, but those look like corn husks