Nic on Fifth - (290' - 26 Stories)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
John
Capella Tower

Re: Nic on Fifth - (290' - 26 Stories)

Postby John » September 22nd, 2014, 8:48 pm

^^^Opus has figured out how to get a 100 million dollar loan and build a 30 story residential tower. That's an achievement for a very conservative regional developer, however, I think for the Ritz Block they need to set their sights higher design and height wise, not to mention create better street frontage with more retail. I hope the city takes them to task to do something really good that contributes to making Nicollet Mall a destination again.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » September 22nd, 2014, 8:55 pm

It sucks they are now talking about no office component on the Ritz block.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » September 22nd, 2014, 10:29 pm

Can someone take a pic of the crown lit up at night?
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » September 23rd, 2014, 7:35 am

That corner is very bright! Guessing it looks better in person than this picture?

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » September 23rd, 2014, 8:10 am

Looking at that bright podium and then the light on the crown, seems like it could use a band of light coming down the corner to connect the two. Hopefully the pancake effect will diminish as the occupancy rises.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 23rd, 2014, 12:05 pm

Saw the crown lite up last night while at the game and while while getting off the LRT. Did not see the podium lit up so thank you for that shot. There really needs to be some color bands between the white bars. I'm disappointed as it is right now.

Did another walk through the skyway yesterday as I was sure there were no windows in the skyway. Apparently there must be some thin stores that will go along the Hennepin section of the skyway that will use those windows located on the second level. We can hope that the current walls of the skyway in the exterior side are only temporary and we will hopefully see more transparent walls when retail finally makes it's way into the skyway level. Still disappointed by the recessed lighting and the dark silver wallpaper and the dark carpeting that they used on this level. It is far from screaming luxury to me. It more reminded me of a moderate priced hotel than a luxury apartment building.

bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Postby bapster2006 » September 23rd, 2014, 5:32 pm

I was curious because of all the comparisons of the lobbies of Soo Line and Nic on Fifth, so I took pics in both today. I was impressed with Soo Line, and yes, right now Nic on Fifth is a lonely place, so hopefully that changes when that big space on the skyway level fills in.

ImageSoo Line lobby 9-23-14 by bapster2006, on Flickr

ImageNic on Fifth Lobby 9-23-14 by bapster2006, on Flickr

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » September 23rd, 2014, 5:42 pm

I was curious because of all the comparisons of the lobbies of Soo Line and Nic on Fifth, so I took pics in both today. I was impressed with Soo Line, and yes, right now Nic on Fifth is a lonely place, so hopefully that changes when that big space on the skyway level fills in.

Thanks for the pictures bapster2006 Looks like you got yourself a good quality camera. I would have thought Nic on Fifth looked much uglier considering all the negativity. It reminds me of the Hyatt skyway. The dark carpet is a smart idea so stains don't show through and the lighting seems a tad dark but it's relaxing and for an apartment building (or hotel) it seems like a good idea. I guess the people demanding natural light would probably just go downstairs and outside anyways so you don't need to please everybody. It is nice to see some variety in design in the system, otherwise if everything starts looking to much alike people get confused and it's harder to navigate.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 23rd, 2014, 6:02 pm

Thanks for the pictures bapster2006 Looks like you got yourself a good quality camera. I would have thought Nic on Fifth looked much uglier considering all the negativity. It reminds me of the Hyatt skyway. The dark carpet is a smart idea so stains don't show through and the lighting seems a tad dark but it's relaxing and for an apartment building (or hotel) it seems like a good idea. I guess the people demanding natural light would probably just go downstairs and outside anyways so you don't need to please everybody. It is nice to see some variety in design in the system, otherwise if everything starts looking to much alike people get confused and it's harder to navigate.
Bapster, You got the best angle in the whole skyway. You have the light from the only outside windows behind you. I'm not sure how impressed people would be to see a pic taken from one end of the building to another. That long, dark, mundane corridor with an escalator to one side and an open door that says refuse (garbage) on the other. To me it looks like a 60's Howard Johnson Motor Lodge corridor. If they are charging those rent and giving me Howard Johnson's, then it is a deal breaker.

bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Postby bapster2006 » September 23rd, 2014, 6:45 pm

Ok Wedgeguy, you got me. I held back on this hallway pic because it was so lonely. This is coming off the skyway going east toward the escalators.

ImageNic on Fifth 2nd floor hallway 9-23-14 by bapster2006, on Flickr

Silophant

Postby Silophant » September 23rd, 2014, 7:07 pm

I'm hoping that that long, narrow retail bay on the left in that pic gets subdivided, and doors/windows cut into the wall. The current configuration is about as bad as it could possibly be from a "make the skyway appealing" perspective.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 23rd, 2014, 7:09 pm

That is a hallway only a Howard Johnson's manager could love!! You can kind of make out that one sliver of natural light on the left where the escalators do down to the sparse lobby to the street. The rest of the hallways to where the Xcel will be connected is this dark grey tunnel of love, with that lovely recessed lighting. Sorry to say that a dark skyway to most people, especially women is not a good vibe to be giving off. Dark mean claustrophobic, unsafe, uneasy, and like my first time thru, very uninviting. As dark as it was the first time I came across across the skyway and thru the doors, I first thought it was still closed to the public.

Just to the right of you is where the Powers sign is when you come off the 5th Street Towers skyway and make a gig.

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » September 23rd, 2014, 7:37 pm

I still think it looks nice... Once the Library becomes the endpoint of the skyway system it will make Nic on Fifth a corridor instead of an endpoint as it is today. I think there is a great deal of potential, with residents in this tower plus the two planned residential towers. Workers who live downtown will cross through this corridor daily so the typical weekday shops should work well. Dare I even suggest, a residential connivence store! (In the style of Oak Grove Groceries) Also this corridor would be greatly improved with some paintings and some long thin tables underneath (ideally a dark color wood) with some nice decorations and low key displays (similar to Hyatt). Can nobody see the potential of how great this corridor can and will be in 3-5 years? So yes, currently the layout of the skyway being an end-point and having only vacant walls with zero retail completely "sucks". Yet in several years it may become just another great segment in our ever expanding skyway network.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » September 23rd, 2014, 9:44 pm

Wall sconces and artwork would be all it takes to banish the dark feel.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » September 24th, 2014, 7:08 am

Wall sconces and artwork would be all it takes to banish the dark feel.
just like street lights and banners make a good street.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » September 24th, 2014, 8:34 am

just like street lights and banners make a good street.
Certainly doesn't hurt.

Ironlight
Block E

Postby Ironlight » September 25th, 2014, 9:59 pm

More lights on the rooftop of the Nic tonight (5 bands instead of 2?) ... and very bright.

As in VERY bright.

When they switched on tonight the folks at the bars in the warehouse district thought it was last call.

:ugeek:

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » September 26th, 2014, 10:02 am

When they switched on tonight the folks at the bars in the warehouse district thought it was last call.. LOL

maxbaby
Landmark Center

Postby maxbaby » September 27th, 2014, 6:25 pm

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » September 27th, 2014, 7:49 pm

It does go around all sides! Awesome.