Hennepin County Medical Center (HCMC) Clinic Expansion

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Re: Hennepin County Medical Center (HCMC) Clinic Expansion

Postby mattaudio » April 15th, 2014, 10:08 am

Looking at the 2007 master plan, they must have been able to acquire the commercial properties on this block easier than the properties on the Lehman block.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » April 15th, 2014, 10:25 am

also I think this site just compliments the entrance to the other building much better, it would be kind of nice to have two half circle drives mirroring each other and the buildings facing one another.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » April 15th, 2014, 10:30 am

Now if only we could get residential development on the eastern side of Portland between 6th and 8th, behind the HCMC ramp and the Lehman's buildings.

(the site plan above incorrectly labels Park as Portland)

BigIdeasGuy
Union Depot

Postby BigIdeasGuy » April 15th, 2014, 11:48 am

I'm just spitballing here but wouldn't it make financial sense for the county to sell ME site to a private developer and build a new ME building either in the surface parking lot or right next to existing parking ramp?

If the new block is going to cost $10M, the ME site is undoubtably worth more perhaps $15-$20M(???) and I really doubt a new ME building is going to cost anything in the neighborhood of $10M. County comes out ahead big time on the transaction plus the addition property tax revenue that would be generated by the development of a block in a prime location. Seems like a no brainer to me.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » April 15th, 2014, 11:53 am

It would be interesting to know how much overlap there is between HCMC and the ME. I'm no Quincy, but it seems like there's nothing particular about the ME facility that would require it to be downtown at all.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » April 15th, 2014, 12:04 pm

I've watched a lot of Law & Order lately, so easy access for police and sheriffs would be useful for the witty banter between detectives and the ME while the detectives ask the ME for the cause of death.

sushisimo
Landmark Center

Postby sushisimo » April 15th, 2014, 12:32 pm

Supertall Hospital.
My favorite soap opera. Scandals, affairs and ultimatums on every floor.

spearson
Landmark Center

Postby spearson » April 15th, 2014, 12:52 pm

Now if only we could get residential development on the eastern side of Portland between 6th and 8th, behind the HCMC ramp and the Lehman's buildings.

(the site plan above incorrectly labels Park as Portland)
You mean something like Sexton Phase II?

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » April 15th, 2014, 12:53 pm

No, other side of Portland... screening the ramp.

reeckman
Metrodome

Postby reeckman » April 17th, 2014, 10:46 am

The hcmcnews article says the helipad is moving east (not to the expansion block)

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » October 3rd, 2014, 6:31 am

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » October 3rd, 2014, 3:37 pm

Any details on if we will see a skyway too this new block, and to the existing parking ramp across Chicago Ave? I thought I read somewhere that the apartment building was staying? Either way not sure this project will improve walkability downtown but still it's progress in regards to development of downtown.

schmitzm03
Nicollet Mall

Postby schmitzm03 » March 13th, 2015, 2:02 pm

Planning Commission COW has renderings: http://minneapolismn.gov/www/groups/pub ... 138675.pdf

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » March 13th, 2015, 2:07 pm

looks nice!

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » March 13th, 2015, 2:15 pm

One very small thing I'd like to see removed are the signs on the corners of 9th. I know they want to see an expansion on the Chicago Ave side, but there could be some small density building on the corner of 9th and Park.

ndokken
City Center

Postby ndokken » March 16th, 2015, 9:53 am

Just curious, but has there been discussions about connecting HCMC's skyway to the rest of downtown? I know they're really trying to target the people who work in downtown or at least make it more attractive, but I think that would become more of a reality if you could just walk there from the skyway

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » March 16th, 2015, 9:58 am

One very small thing I'd like to see removed are the signs on the corners of 9th. I know they want to see an expansion on the Chicago Ave side, but there could be some small density building on the corner of 9th and Park.
Agreed. The monument signs do not belong in the 9th Street historic district. It looks like the staff report already talks about eliminating one of them (I think...). They're requesting a variance for two, as code only allows one.

Going even further, the corner of 9th & Chicago should really be reserved for future housing, not more HCMC expansion. 9th Street should be lined with as much contiguous housing as possible.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » March 16th, 2015, 10:11 am

Going even further, the corner of 9th & Chicago should really be reserved for future housing, not more HCMC expansion. 9th Street should be lined with as much contiguous housing as possible.
Right? I feel like it'd just be one more lot in Elliot Park just waiting to be filled in for years to come. Elliot Park is Swiss cheese in terms of parking lots vs buildings. Could be infill heaven for someone. I know it's not popular here, but I would really really love to see some classic row houses in a lot of the area. Anyways, back to the hospital :D

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » March 16th, 2015, 10:31 am

I've said it elsewhere but I'll say it again: We need to do something to make 9th and/or 10th more of a human scale link between Elliot Park and the CBD. Two-way traffic, tree-lined, etc. Maybe with accommodations for future Chicago Ave streetcar connection over to Nicollet, etc. We need to build bridges between DTE, CBD, and the other periphery neighborhoods, and this would be a crucial link.

fehler
Rice Park

Postby fehler » March 16th, 2015, 11:19 am

I noticed the skyway level of this new building leaves open possibilities for expansion to the west and to the south (HCMC owns the parking lot on Centennial Place?), both of which would skirt the edge of the 9th Street Historic District.

HCMC has long wished to be connected to the Skyway network, both for its own worker's convenience and to tap the downtown worker clinic market. With projects on the Sexton block and Kraus Anderson filling in, it no longer looks like a long-term pipe dream. Heck, a project on the Huberts/First Covenant block may even allow for a full loop to US Bank Stadium.