What will it take to develop DTE?

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Re: What will it take to develop DTE?

Postby min-chi-cbus » July 31st, 2012, 6:55 pm

How about the city park with a man-made lake in it, like what the visions were for the redevelopment of the Dome site if they didn't rebuild there?

mulad

Postby mulad » July 31st, 2012, 8:47 pm

Hrm... That reminds me too much of Government Plaza a few blocks to the west -- that big water feature in the middle (which gets shut off for half the year) is basically a permanent crowd-suppression device, preventing a critical mass of people from getting together. If someone wants a pond or something, I'd say it should be offset from the middle a bit.

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » August 1st, 2012, 7:03 am

Once the freeways are obsolete, we'll put one in the 94/35W/55 spaghetti junction!

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » August 1st, 2012, 9:32 am

That'll be great! We can all fly there in our new gyrocopters!

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » August 1st, 2012, 10:14 am

You could ice skate on a frozen pond in the winter....

nasa35

Postby nasa35 » August 1st, 2012, 10:31 am

This would be spendy, but why not a covered plaza/bar/nightclub block with gas heating and venting. This would piggy back the later part of the football season and make a super bowl bid probably an automatic yes.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » August 1st, 2012, 11:04 am

This would be spendy, but why not a covered plaza/bar/nightclub block with gas heating and venting. This would piggy back the later part of the football season and make a super bowl bid probably an automatic yes.
I like this idea too! It's very similar to my idea to provide heated sidewalks and heat lamps on 1st, Hennepin and Nicollet Aves downtown.

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » August 1st, 2012, 11:31 am

Seems too much like Block E. Would be geared too much to suburbanites* coming in on game days, and not do a good job serving the surrounding community or spark any development.

*Not bashing suburbanites, just saying that we need to think of what is best for the long term future of DTE as an urban residential neighborhood.

nasa35

Postby nasa35 » August 1st, 2012, 12:24 pm

Seems too much like Block E. Would be geared too much to suburbanites* coming in on game days, and not do a good job serving the surrounding community or spark any development.

*Not bashing suburbanites, just saying that we need to think of what is best for the long term future of DTE as an urban residential neighborhood.
You know, quite a few "suburbanites" used to live in the city, and to be blunt, the warehouse entertainment district would be almost empty if it weren't for "suburbanites". And how would an outdoor plaza be like Block E? A vibrant DWTN must be supported by visitors. Should NYC make DWTN unbearable to anyone but vistors? I honestly don't get this "suburbanite" bias. Maybe we should start a thread.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » August 1st, 2012, 12:26 pm

nasa, I think the point is that suburbanites come into the city for amenities and entertainment they can't find in the suburbs, so there's no point in the city building suburban-style projects to attract suburbanites when the suburbs do a better job of that.

nasa35

Postby nasa35 » August 1st, 2012, 12:33 pm

nasa, I think the point is that suburbanites come into the city for amenities and entertainment they can't find in the suburbs, so there's no point in the city building suburban-style projects to attract suburbanites when the suburbs do a better job of that.
They come there to work as well...and they're also moving DFWTN. Again, what is this issue with suburbanites? So what, they come to town and spend money. We don't want that? Color me confused.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » August 1st, 2012, 12:35 pm

I like this idea. If done correctly meaning it could be scaleable, serving thousands during events and still viable during less times. I think it could end the chicken and egg thing about this side of downtown.

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » August 1st, 2012, 12:57 pm

I get what you're saying nasa, but I don't think that DTE should try to be a regional destination. The city wants to greatly increase its downtown population by 2025 (I forget the number) and this is the place to do so. Simply by adding residents and low rise density, this area will organically become a draw, not unlike Uptown. Artificially dropping a destination in will not do much for the area IMO.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » August 1st, 2012, 1:06 pm

Why do you guys think there is some sort of pent up demand for more restaurants and bars downtown? You can't just create an entertainment district out of nothing.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » August 1st, 2012, 1:41 pm

Why do you guys think there is some sort of pent up demand for more restaurants and bars downtown? You can't just create an entertainment district out of nothing.
Eastside of Downtown.

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » August 1st, 2012, 11:04 pm

Should NYC make DWTN unbearable to anyone but vistors?
There's a reason people who actually live in New York avoid midtown like the plague.

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Postby mplser » August 1st, 2012, 11:29 pm

They come there to work as well...and they're also moving DFWTN. Again, what is this issue with suburbanites? So what, they come to town and spend money. We don't want that? Color me confused.
I really think you are taking this out of context and blowing it out of proportion. All they were saying is that this neighborhood will work better as a residential neighborhood if the amenities and such actually cater to the people who live there. Suburbanites are welcome to come if they want to, but I don't think the city has some sort of an obligation to design everything with other people in mind, ignoring it's own citizens. The city of Minneapolis should be first and foremost concerned about the people of Minneapolis. They can try to attract suburbanites too, but that should not always be their main concern.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » August 2nd, 2012, 6:12 am

Exactly. Building random destinations isn't what makes a city. A vibrant city develops its own destinations naturally.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » August 2nd, 2012, 7:07 am

Exactly. Building random destinations isn't what makes a city. A v*****t city develops its own destinations naturally.
There you go cursing again!

Konante
Nicollet Mall

Postby Konante » August 2nd, 2012, 10:52 am

I really think you are taking this out of context and blowing it out of proportion. All they were saying is that this neighborhood will work better as a residential neighborhood if the amenities and such actually cater to the people who live there. Suburbanites are welcome to come if they want to, but I don't think the city has some sort of an obligation to design everything with other people in mind, ignoring it's own citizens. The city of Minneapolis should be first and foremost concerned about the people of Minneapolis. They can try to attract suburbanites too, but that should not always be their main concern.
Wonderfully said, mplser. IMO Mpls set itself back decades by first and foremost catering to the suburban lifestyle (e.g. knocking down buildings to create parking lots). Drawing suburbanites in is and will remain a key for the city's vitality, but that needs to be a natural outgrowth of development that is first and foremost designed to cater to people who actually spend the most time there (i.e. residents). If expanding the residential population is the goal, as it should be, then that needs to remain the focus. Avoiding any sort of self-contained entertainment venue a la block e is crucial.