Trader Joe's in downtown Minneapolis

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
uptowncarag

Re: Downtown Retail News

Postby uptowncarag » May 5th, 2014, 3:30 pm

I am just curious about this push for a Trader Joe's? I have been there and I would ask anyone who likes this store, once you have been there why would you ever go back?

NickP
Target Field

Postby NickP » May 5th, 2014, 4:22 pm

It's relatively cheap and pretty decent food. That's why I went back when I lived near one.

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » May 5th, 2014, 4:24 pm

I am just curious about this push for a Trader Joe's? I have been there and I would ask anyone who likes this store, once you have been there why would you ever go back?
It's better quality than Rainbow and cheaper than Lunds, to generalize. Obviously depends on what you typically buy

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » May 5th, 2014, 4:26 pm

They do some things better than anyone else. Like frozen seafood.

That said, you don't have to be a TJ's shopper to think it would be an awesome addition to DTE.
Towns!

uptowncarag

Postby uptowncarag » May 5th, 2014, 6:12 pm

They do some things better than anyone else. Like frozen seafood.

That said, you don't have to be a TJ's shopper to think it would be an awesome addition to DTE.
Any additional retail downtown would be great. I was just curious. A third grocery store downtown would be great.

Minneapolisite

Postby Minneapolisite » May 5th, 2014, 6:26 pm

Trader Joe's has tons of yummy affordable snacks: where else am I going to get chocolate covered marshmallows for $3 a box? Their frozen dinners tend to be $3 or less and have no chemicals or partially hydrogenated oils, and are always cheaper than brands like Amy's and have larger portions (I go for the Indian and Thai ones). I can pick up a roll of sourdough, some veggies, and there are plenty of cheeses to choose from that won't break the bank, not to mention the $3/$4 (I forget) bottles of wine and they carry Oranjeboom 6 packs which I haven't found anywhere else for just $7 and they're the only place that carries the Lismore single malt scotch (they have a contract with the distillery) and for under $20. It's quite good too, the low price is just a bonus. I'd be a regular for sure if it were to open Downtown, but less so in the winter if it's several blocks away.

Still, I see we're focused on full-block retailers. We should take into consideration that dozens of small towns in MN like Bemidji have a denser walkable commercial core (not in mall form) than we do even when parking lots have made gaps. That should be very embarrassing. Along with the fact that in the case of Bemidji they also have on-street bike parking in their downtown and we have none whatsoever, nor does St Paul. They have numerous short blocks with a least a dozen businesses along each (high-density) and they tend to have pedestrian-friendly features like bumpouts: many easily have more than Downtown Mpls.

l12
Block E

Postby l12 » May 7th, 2014, 9:15 am

It's better quality than Rainbow and cheaper than Lunds, to generalize. Obviously depends on what you typically buy
Cheaper than Rainbow too. I don't understand the niche of that store. Cub quality service at Lund's prices!

TJ is not great for produce but they have a lot of unique products and all is very cheap, the frozen section is good, yogurts are good, snack foods, cheeses. Liquor store also pretty good.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » May 8th, 2014, 6:18 am

i love traders joe's quality and their brands. i wouldn't do all my shopping there but it's a nice place to pick up a few things. their frozen food is good. breads...speciality goods.

twincitizen

Re: Trader Joe's in downtown Minneapolis

Postby twincitizen » May 8th, 2014, 10:39 am

Every time I read a complaint about the size of the parking lot at Excelsior & Grand TJ's, I want to punch a baby.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 8th, 2014, 10:45 am

Yes, that parking lot is a little tight, but has anyone ever had trouble parking at Excelsior & Grand? A street grid with on-street parking provides a lot of capacity balancing. Meanwhile, that SWLRT meeting at the ice arena across the park -- yikes.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » May 8th, 2014, 10:49 am

i love traders joe's quality and their brands. i wouldn't do all my shopping there but it's a nice place to pick up a few things. their frozen food is good. breads...speciality goods.
You do know their "brands" are mostly repackaged stuff you'll find at Cub or similar places, right?

Their produce is simply awful. They have stuff rotting on the shelves.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » May 8th, 2014, 11:00 am

If my memory is right, the same holding company that own Aldi also has a stake in TJ. That is something for Google explorers.

QuietBlue
Target Field

Postby QuietBlue » May 8th, 2014, 12:01 pm

If my memory is right, the same holding company that own Aldi also has a stake in TJ. That is something for Google explorers.
Sort of. Aldi is technically comprised of two German companies, Aldi Nord (North) and Aldi Sud (South; there should be an umlaut there but I don't know how to type it) that both operate Aldi stores in different areas. Aldi Nord owns Trader Joe's, while Aldi Sud owns the Aldi stores in the U.S. So they're more cousins than siblings, if that analogy makes sense.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » May 8th, 2014, 1:41 pm

Isn't their kind of a Schism between the Aldi brothers too? One thinks the ultra low amenity low cost grocery store (our Aldi) is the way to go, another thinks a little more upscale and a few more amenities but still at a low price (TJ) is the way to go.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » May 8th, 2014, 2:14 pm

Is that why Aldi only sells left Twix and Pumas while Trader Joe's exclusively sells right Twix and Adidas?

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » May 8th, 2014, 2:52 pm

Is that why Aldi only sells left Twix and Pumas while Trader Joe's exclusively sells right Twix and Adidas?

I get the Adidas/Puma German disgruntled brother connection, but I don't get the Twix one. That's a British candy, right?

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » May 8th, 2014, 3:24 pm

Twix Left vs Twix Right. It's a commercial and a very smart marketing scheme.

WestCoastDude
Block E

Postby WestCoastDude » May 8th, 2014, 5:00 pm

This Trader Joes' will serve more than just downtown, but also the customers who live in Nordeast, Southwest, Uptown, Longfellow, Northside, U of M , and other Mpls locations, and first ring suburbs too. I bet this will be their biggest store in Minnesota. Sorry, but to think they will hide it away in North Loop or on 3rd Street, or in some tower is preposterous. Come on guys!! This store will bring folks into downtown, and you need a high visible location on a familiar street like Washington or Hennepin with easy access to the freeway. My best bet is Washington Ave near Mill district.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » May 8th, 2014, 5:56 pm

God if people drive into downtown to go to a grocery store, especially when there are Trader Joe's in other locations around the city...

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » May 8th, 2014, 8:13 pm

Uptown and SW would be better going to the one in SLP. Much less traffic headache.