Trader Joe's in downtown Minneapolis

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Trader Joe's in downtown Minneapolis

Postby Mdcastle » May 10th, 2014, 7:38 pm

Aren't there like... a million Wal-Marts between Uptown and Burnsville?
Actually, no there aren't. The only one that is is in east Bloomington, but it's very very small for a Wal-Mart (about half the size of a typical supercenter) so it doesn't have the same kind of selection. I live in east Bloomington and go their if I'm out of milk or something, but for serious shopping I go to the one in Shakopee near my mother's house, which is large for a Walmart. Burnsville is close to my house too and is average sized, but I got turned off when they first opened they didn't have nearly enough cashiers. There other closest option to uptown is Eden Prairie, but it's a bit of a chore to get in and out of there.

uptowncarag

Postby uptowncarag » May 11th, 2014, 5:33 pm

Aren't there like... a million Wal-Marts between Uptown and Burnsville?
Actually, no there aren't. The only one that is is in east Bloomington, but it's very very small for a Wal-Mart (about half the size of a typical supercenter) so it doesn't have the same kind of selection. I live in east Bloomington and go their if I'm out of milk or something, but for serious shopping I go to the one in Shakopee near my mother's house, which is large for a Walmart. Burnsville is close to my house too and is average sized, but I got turned off when they first opened they didn't have nearly enough cashiers. There other closest option to uptown is Eden Prairie, but it's a bit of a chore to get in and out of there.
I am not a fan of Wal-mart but I am someone who refuses to pay full price for anything. In order to keep being able to afford living in my uptown neighborhood I have to cut costs somewhere. Back to Trader Joe's, I think it would be great for downtown.

holmstar
Nicollet Mall

Postby holmstar » May 12th, 2014, 8:34 am

The thing about Wal-mart is that the prices aren't the only things that are cheap. Wal-mart pushes the manufacturers so hard for lower prices that they often produce cheaper (poorer quality) versions of their products specifically for walmart. If you check the model numbers, you'll often find they aren't the same as an outwardly similar model sold elsewhere. Maybe you're cool with that, but I'm tired of buying things that end up breaking with normal use, or just function poorly. Besides, are you really saving money if you have to replace that blender (for example) every year or two?

uptowncarag

Postby uptowncarag » May 12th, 2014, 3:26 pm

The thing about Wal-mart is that the prices aren't the only things that are cheap. Wal-mart pushes the manufacturers so hard for lower prices that they often produce cheaper (poorer quality) versions of their products specifically for walmart. If you check the model numbers, you'll often find they aren't the same as an outwardly similar model sold elsewhere. Maybe you're cool with that, but I'm tired of buying things that end up breaking with normal use, or just function poorly. Besides, are you really saving money if you have to replace that blender (for example) every year or two?
I only buy groceries, detergent and etc. at Wal-Mart. I know what Wal-Mart is so I don't have a problem. I also shop at Nordstrom and I know what that is. I will never pay full price for anything.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » May 12th, 2014, 3:33 pm

Walmart is terrible (and also non-hyphenated nowadays).

Can we somehow steer this back on topic? Or perhaps just stop talking until we hear some actual news?

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » December 22nd, 2014, 8:58 am

Confirmed for Sherman's mixed-use project at Chicago & Washington (next to Thresher Square): https://forum.streets.mn/viewtopic.php?f=13& ... 180#p76387

Since Minnesota law allows just one liquor store license per person/company per municipality, this will be the sole Trader Joe's in Minneapolis, unless they someday decide to open one without a liquor store. I wouldn't count on that law being changed anytime soon, as it protects the mom & pops from being completely elbowed out by grocery stores, Target, Total Wine, etc.

I'm locking this thread since any discussion of Trader Joe's in Minneapolis is now relevant to the specific location at Washington & Chicago.