Dock Street Flats - (333 Washington Avenue North)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Konante
Nicollet Mall

Re: Dock Street Apartments

Postby Konante » August 3rd, 2012, 7:52 am

no one gives a damn about uninspired (and uninspiring) 5-6-story dreck -- and appropriately so.

build towers, or don't build at all. Let me repeat that: Build towers, or don't build at all.
Not sure if serious...

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Re: 350 North Fifth Street

Postby min-chi-cbus » August 3rd, 2012, 7:58 am

I STILL maintain that we'll continue to see developers push to get projects underway this quarter after hearing that last quarter's supply boost did NOTHING to the vacancy rate.
I've been out of the loop lately so I'm curious to know if this is true. Good news if so. Is there an article or discussion somewhere?
It was on the Minnescraper Forum, so if it's not here it's lost for the time being.

http://www.midwesttrafficconsulting.com ... ojects.htm

Here's an article that touches on the grander picture of this development, at least proving that I'm not making it up...

http://www.downtownjournal.com/index.ph ... tory=17281

Here's another one....minus the office component. What on Earth is that story above it about -- hotel and mixed-use development in North Loop?? I don't know if I've heard about that!
Last edited by min-chi-cbus on August 3rd, 2012, 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Konante
Nicollet Mall

Postby Konante » August 3rd, 2012, 8:01 am

Here's the original site plan, the new rendering looks almost exactly like the old ones. So this answers a lot of questions about what is where and what buildings are staying, the road, etc etc... Excited if they get started in the Fall!

http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/groups ... 088216.pdf
The Business Journal story says it will be one building and these plans indicate that as well, but the most recent rendering makes it look like there are two buildings. Anyone else seeing that?

mulad

Postby mulad » August 3rd, 2012, 8:33 am

The building will be kind of S-shaped with courtyards in the gaps. Units in the building would probably be too deep otherwise, unable to get sufficient natural light. The rendering is looking down Dock Street, basically only an alley for accessing parking today.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 3rd, 2012, 9:18 am

It looks like it is two buildings because there is a courtyard there, and you can't see the back wall of the courtyard in the rendering. It's much more obvious in this earlier rendering.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 3rd, 2012, 9:18 am

nickmgray
Union Depot

Postby nickmgray » August 3rd, 2012, 12:32 pm

With all the construction and new proposals, things are starting to feel like we're back in 2003-2004. The scale of the projects are a lot smaller, but that's probably a good thing. I'm sure we would all enjoy seeing a tower go in here and there, but the most important aspect is that the building develop a sustainable community. The impact to the skyline is secondary.

Jfuss
Metrodome

Re: Dock Street Apartments - (333 Washington Avenue North)

Postby Jfuss » August 31st, 2012, 1:31 pm

Sorry if this has been posted already, but I found another rendering for the Dock Street Apartments...

http://the2020partners.com/wordpress/wp ... erings.pdf

Konante
Nicollet Mall

Postby Konante » September 4th, 2012, 7:41 am

Sorry if this has been posted already, but I found another rendering for the Dock Street Apartments...

http://the2020partners.com/wordpress/wp ... erings.pdf
Thanks. I like the roof deck on Third. Is the accent piece that wraps up onto the second floor (that says "dock street apartments") wood or rusty metal? I'd guess wood from the looks of it but would probably prefer a rustic metal.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » September 4th, 2012, 9:04 am

Awesome I love that view from 3rd!!!

I would venture a guess that its not rusty metal, but probably copper or a simulated copper.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » September 4th, 2012, 12:00 pm

I also really like the metallic material on the exterior of 3rd and works nicely with the roof deck. The street level on Washington is beautiful and I love the glass canopy above.

1200onthemall
Nicollet Mall

Postby 1200onthemall » September 4th, 2012, 4:07 pm

This would be a huge improvement over a nasty surface parking.

swmpls
City Center

Postby swmpls » September 4th, 2012, 7:13 pm

I'm not sure if these older drawings ever made it over from Minnescraper, but they give a nice overview of the total area and future phases of this project.

http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/groups ... 082471.pdf

I really liked the little building (Liner Building) on the eastern portion of the site. It's not too often that we see developers use up little scraps of land. It doesn't look like the little building made the cut in their most recent renders. It also seems like the building fronting Washington is a little more modern and less warehouse looking than in the drawing, it might be the windows or something. Like we've talked about with some other projects, I hope the brick (veneer) that they use gives some depth to the windows so it doesn't look cheap. Overall this project should help tie together the neighborhood which is currently split up by the train trench.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » September 4th, 2012, 9:20 pm

Where's this Building #3 in this discussion or plans? It's the 16 story proposed tower that's closest to the ballpark and abuts the I-94 Viaduct. And correct me if I am wrong, but is the 350 North Fifth project (National Bone Marrow Donor HQ) the remaining plots of land owned by Hines in the diagrams that lie on the other side of the I-94 Viaducts and next to Target Field and the Ford Building (if that's the name)?

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » September 5th, 2012, 3:23 pm

yes, 350 north 5th would be south of 94 and dock street north of it. If things go as multiple developers see fit lol...

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » September 5th, 2012, 7:26 pm

yes, 350 north 5th would be south of 94 and dock street north of it. If things go as multiple developers see fit lol...
Well, no, I'm saying Hines owns both plots.....so just one developer.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 6th, 2012, 5:28 pm

Well, no, I'm saying Hines owns both plots.....so just one developer.
I agree with you that Hines does own the whole parcel. So they would be doing both projects.

1200onthemall
Nicollet Mall

Postby 1200onthemall » September 17th, 2012, 8:56 am

I heard over the weekend from my friensds on the NorthLoop board that ground breaking ceremonies are this week for this project.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » September 17th, 2012, 9:22 am

Exciting news! Thanks for the insight. Just in time to beat the frost! ha.

1200onthemall
Nicollet Mall

Postby 1200onthemall » September 17th, 2012, 6:45 pm

Contstruction trailer was setup in the parking lot today.