RBC Plaza (former Gaviidae II)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

RBC Plaza (former Gaviidae II)

Postby Wedgeguy » May 28th, 2014, 9:35 am

Did a walk thru the skyway yesterday to see where things are with this project. I was quite surprise that all of the skyway level was vacated. The ground floor retail was still pretty much in place. The upper 2 levels are pretty much dark and have some demolition having occurred. There was some scaffolding I could not explain in the basement level where Mort's steakhouse used to be. Did notice alot of construction tracks going to and from the old Needless Makeup space as it too is gutted.

I assume that the levels 3 and 4 will be filled in for full floors once they really start to get into the renovation. I look forward to seeing how they tie this half of the block to Nicolett [sic] Mall.

http://www.rejournals.com/2014/02/05/bi ... rbc-plaza/

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Re: RBC Tower renovation

Postby mattaudio » May 28th, 2014, 10:15 am

I think this is covered in the Gaviidae II thread, right? I haven't heard of any significant renovation of the RBC tower itself.

Edit: Actually looks like most of that discussion happened in the Downtown Retail thread. Is Gaviidae II now called RBC Plaza? It's still distinguished from the RBC Tower next door, I assume.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Re: RBC Tower renovation

Postby Wedgeguy » May 28th, 2014, 10:22 am

I think this is covered in the Gaviidae II thread, right? I haven't heard of any significant renovation of the RBC tower itself.
I was under the understanding that the tower was getting some common areas spruced up, but more of the major work was making the levels 3 and 4 into full floors of the office tower. After the Renovation I don't think you would even recognize the interior of the old Gav II as being an old shopping mall. I also think that the towers main entrance will be moved to the Nicollet Mall side of the building. If you want to move this to Gav II then do so.

Like the 3rd and 4th floors, I think they plan to fill in the ground floor and get rid of the access to the basement level. In doing so they can reorient their lobby towards the Mall. I know the name is being changed to RBC Plaza. I would not be surprised if they take out the current 5 level elevator and move and replace it with one that is more tucked away that is not stealing square footage. I do not think they will have an elevator that goes beyond the ground an skyway levels. Wish I could see floor plans for what they are really going to do with pedestrian traffic flow from skyway to ground floor.

Silophant

Re: RBC Plaza / Gaviidae II renovation

Postby Silophant » May 28th, 2014, 1:15 pm

It would be nice to have an obvious ground/skyway connection on every block of Nicollet Mall. Hopefully that happens here.

Speaking of skyways, I wonder what they'll do with the 4th floor skyway across 6th St, now that it'll be offices on both sides?
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

schmitzm03
Nicollet Mall

Postby schmitzm03 » June 22nd, 2014, 6:58 am

this sign was attached to the Nicollet LRT Station railing.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 9th, 2014, 6:37 pm

Looks like all of the windows are being replaces and other added to the facade of this building. It is getting a complete makeover. Was not able to get in to see if the skyway is open or not. Curious as to how this project will end up and laid out.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » September 9th, 2014, 8:40 pm

Good news. This building looked vacant when Nieman Marcus was still open. I'm so glad the City (mostly) stuck to their guns and required CenterPoint to carve out a ground floor retail/restaurant space on the Nicollet side.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » October 5th, 2014, 5:59 pm

They really are basically rebuilding this entire thing.

Nick Magrino
[email protected]

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » October 6th, 2014, 6:25 am

oh wow they are really gutting that. thanks for the pics i havn't been down there recently.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » October 6th, 2014, 6:37 am

It is LOUD too. Even waiting for the Green Line, I'll take a Blue to the next stop just to get away from it.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » October 6th, 2014, 10:45 am

Isn't that some expensive stonework they are messing up?
Steve Mouzon's Original Green notes that buildings should be adaptable - including patchable. Why are we throwing this all away? http://www.originalgreen.org/foundations/adaptable/

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » October 6th, 2014, 10:56 am

I think it probably looks worse than it actually is.

They're cutting in new windows, because an office building has more use for windows than a department store does. They may be pulling stone down with the intention of re-installing it -- too soon to tell on that. But in any case, the primary structure of the building will stay in place and serve the new users well.

BigIdeasGuy
Union Depot

Postby BigIdeasGuy » October 7th, 2014, 6:54 pm

Any idea how big the parking ramp underneath is? Is it just under Gaviiae II or is it also under RBC Plaza?

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 7th, 2014, 7:44 pm

Any idea how big the parking ramp underneath is? Is it just under Gaviiae II or is it also under RBC Plaza?
As a good portion of the tower basically covers the roof of Retail portion, why no skylight like the Gaviidae 1, the parking is under the whole property line.

BigIdeasGuy
Union Depot

Postby BigIdeasGuy » October 7th, 2014, 8:22 pm

As a good portion of the tower basically covers the roof of Retail portion, why no skylight like the Gaviidae 1, the parking is under the whole property line.
Thanks, I asked because I was wondering if it would be possible to move the entrance of the parking ramp from 5th to 6th street. One of my big ideas, hence the name, is to connect both ends of DT by turning 5th into a green way/pedestrian mall from the new Vikings stadium to Target Field. Obviously one of the single biggest challenge to accomplishing that is having ramp's entrances/exits on 5th.

Mpls9

Postby Mpls9 » October 7th, 2014, 9:11 pm

Holy shit....looks like a bombed out building on a Hollywood set.

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » October 7th, 2014, 9:16 pm

A forced left in/left out along with giving the street a woonerf treatment for any blocks requiring parking entrances would still allow limited access while making 5th St. a pleasant east-west downtown greenway.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » October 8th, 2014, 8:26 am

A forced right in/right out along with giving the street a woonerf treatment for any blocks requiring parking entrances would still allow limited access while making 5th St. a pleasant east-west downtown greenway.
In this case, wouldn't it be left in, left out? Short of narrowing lanes or closing parking entrances, what else could even be done?

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » October 8th, 2014, 10:58 am

Fixed^

nBode
Union Depot

Postby nBode » October 8th, 2014, 11:33 am

Thanks, I asked because I was wondering if it would be possible to move the entrance of the parking ramp from 5th to 6th street. One of my big ideas, hence the name, is to connect both ends of DT by turning 5th into a green way/pedestrian mall from the new Vikings stadium to Target Field. Obviously one of the single biggest challenge to accomplishing that is having ramp's entrances/exits on 5th.
Wow, this would actually be fantastic. I think that is a great idea. Does anyone know how heavily 5th is used?
Sorry, this is getting off-topic..