Third North - (800 Third Street North)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
John
Capella Tower

Re: Third North

Postby John » August 9th, 2012, 2:39 pm

At some point in the near future, take some time out of your day to look at some other cities on Google Earth. Just pick random places...New York, Boston, Philly, whatever floats your boat. Just zoom into to like the 2 mile distance, and grab the streetview guy on the scroll bar, and plop him anywhere on the map. Chances are, whatever you see is going to be pretty boring. But there are going to be buildings built up to the street, people walking around, little businesses, etc. That's why those cities are great, not because they're full of Dr. Seuss-designed buildings.

But at this point, I'm starting to feel like a broken record myself.
I don't mind "boring" so much , but the rendering of Third North gives off a feeling of being severe and monolithic. It doesn't have an ounce of character. It's almost bizzare.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 9th, 2012, 3:28 pm

I don't see boring, especially if the cladding is as drawn... and it's LeMonolith to you... ;)

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » August 9th, 2012, 5:32 pm

^Atrocious^. But better than the stalinesque majesty of Third North. At least it has more variety in its coloration scheme.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 9th, 2012, 10:14 pm

I knew you'd like that :D The other sides and inside courtyards of that building are really great, and interesting building to read up on really. The materials and design there are far better than our building will ever get. I still don't think it's as criminal as some other recent/to be msp buildings.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » August 10th, 2012, 7:54 am

I actually like that....for some reason. It's...............different.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 10th, 2012, 9:07 am

I'm glad you like it, especially since the rest of the building becomes very dynamic. If you want to see more...

http://www.dezeen.com/2010/12/14/le-monolith-by-mvrdv/

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » August 10th, 2012, 12:32 pm

Double demo day in the North Loop - the structure on the Third North site is coming down, as is the Interchange's County office building.
"Who rescued whom!"

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » August 10th, 2012, 12:47 pm

I'm glad you like it, especially since the rest of the building becomes very dynamic. If you want to see more...

http://www.dezeen.com/2010/12/14/le-monolith-by-mvrdv/
It's quite an interesting building when you see it from more perspectives. It has a very dynamic form. Not at all like Third North. Now, perhaps when Third North is completed it will look better than how it appears from the perspective of the rendering. I have my doubts, but it's possible.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 10th, 2012, 1:04 pm

I think it will stay pretty plain, but I hope the back has some interest, like an "E" shaped footprint with courtyards, that would be good for residents at least.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » August 12th, 2012, 9:00 am

You hit the nail on the head elfangor, well said.

Avian
Union Depot

Postby Avian » August 12th, 2012, 9:41 am

I dunno, the (presumably) metal panels look textured or at least with some tone variations. Zinc and copper maybe? It just looks like a bad rendering, but not necessarily a bad building. They should have hired me for the imaging ;)

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato

mpls_tc
Block E

Re: Third North - (800 Third Street North)

Postby mpls_tc » August 21st, 2012, 8:29 pm

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » August 21st, 2012, 8:57 pm

Thanks . Much better rendering that brings out the nice tonal variations of the panels which distracts from the complex's blockiness and makes it interesting to look at. The building is actually pretty decent.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 22nd, 2012, 12:35 am

Thanks . Much better rendering that brings out the nice tonal variations of the panels which distracts from the complex's blockiness and makes it interesting to look at. The building is actually pretty decent.
Luke, come to the dark side... This rendering is much better! It definitely helps confirm they are looking to finish the building nicely. I like the subtle crown around the top.

dmdhashw
Nicollet Mall

Postby dmdhashw » August 22nd, 2012, 5:31 am

Hey, at least there isn't any concrete board (that we can see).

Konante
Nicollet Mall

Postby Konante » August 22nd, 2012, 7:54 am

Agree with the above posts. The multi-tonal panels add a lot of visual interest to an otherwise architecturally uninteresting building. I'm still concerned/irritated with the lack of commercial space but I'm swayed towards the positive by this rendering.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » August 22nd, 2012, 8:15 am

Luke, come to the dark side... This rendering is much better! It definitely helps confirm they are looking to finish the building nicely. I like the subtle crown around the top.
Is that not just the top of the elevator shaft?

I think I LOVE this new building now that I've seen the renderings in closer detail! If it shines anything like the rendering shows this could be one of the coolest (modern) 6 story buildings in the city! I'm not going to hold my breath though, especially after seeing how Mosaic went from being pretty sweet on paper to being pretty sad in reality. :(

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 22nd, 2012, 11:16 am

Is that not just the top of the elevator shaft?
No I'm talking about the little floating edge detail that runs around the entire top of the building. A lot of people have, fairly correctly, been complaining that buildings are getting built with out a cornice or a finishing edge and look to flat or chintzy or something. I think this is the perfect understated little finishing touch on this style of building.

1200onthemall
Nicollet Mall

Postby 1200onthemall » August 28th, 2012, 5:29 am

The old building is down and clean up of the site continues. Steel pilings are on-site, this seems to be moving quickly.

Konante
Nicollet Mall

Postby Konante » August 28th, 2012, 8:11 am

The old building is down and clean up of the site continues. Steel pilings are on-site, this seems to be moving quickly.
Nice. Thanks for the update.