Downtown Minneapolis Office Market

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
sushisimo
Landmark Center

Re: Downtown Minneapolis Office Market

Postby sushisimo » September 23rd, 2015, 2:28 pm

Many design/creative places go with this open format. And these places do attract a lot of Millennials, so there you go. I'm a bit older but contract in this field, and when I land in a wide open environment with everybody at one table, I just get antsy and ADD. Sure, there are "breakaway" offices or "war rooms" or "brainstorming alcoves" etc, etc. But, you just can't continually be a squatter there. Target had things called Bullpens, which are odd cubicles where they shove 5 people in each one. Bullpens, pffft. I always felt like a Matador should've flapped a red cape every time I wanted to exit it for the restroom. Where I'm at now (I'll keep the company name secret), the permanent staffers are nervous because in a few months they'll be moving into one of two new Downtown East twin towers and wonder if they'll have tiny cubicles or cubicles at all.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 23rd, 2015, 2:58 pm

Where I'm at now (I'll keep the company name secret), the permanent staffers are nervous because in a few months they'll be moving into one of two new Downtown East twin towers and wonder if they'll have tiny cubicles or cubicles at all.
If only we knew of some major downtown employer that is moving into new Downtown East twin towers. It's a riddle that we can probably crack if we all put our heads together...

Silophant

Postby Silophant » September 23rd, 2015, 3:01 pm

Thin veneers of plausible deniability are what make the world go round.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » September 24th, 2015, 9:55 am

Sushisimo, you may be able to search your secret company's internal website for "Workplace 2020" where you will find information about what the office outfitting may look like in those two new secret towers somewhere in the region. Some good info on there.

Maybe it's because I'm a "Millenial Knowledge Worker" but personally I'm excited to see lower cube walls to bring more natural light through the floors, more floating space so my team can work from home but be collaborative (or private) in the office when we need space for such, and even things like standing workspaces.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » September 24th, 2015, 10:12 am

I also work for this secret company... ;)

Sushisimo, I just sent you a PM with links. The general idea... it sounds like everyone will have their own workspace, with lower cube walls. It's like half way between cubes and bullpens.

The design team chose a 6x8-foot u-shaped workstation configuration that will be consistent throughout the new buildings. These workstations include lower (46-inch) panel heights with some frosted glass toppers that allow for seated privacy, but clear views across the office spaces. All workstations in the new Downtown East buildings will be equipped with sit/stand functionality.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 24th, 2015, 10:41 am

To be clear, I'm certainly not advocating for a return to private offices. I work in a very open environment with very minimal desk separation, and in general its good. But they skimped on the acoustic treatments necessary for this format to work well, and there aren't enough collaboration spaces or private areas to go around.

Open offices done well are just fine -- I've seen few examples where the follow-thru is what it should be. In a well executed open office environment, you really shouldn't get any reduction in real estate, because while the private desk shrinks, all of the shared spaces increase.

And hot-desking is a whole other ball of wax, which is what I was reacting to in the original article.

sushisimo
Landmark Center

Postby sushisimo » September 24th, 2015, 12:53 pm

And hot-desking is a whole other ball of wax, which is what I was reacting to in the original article.

And thanks mamundsen for the link to what the new, erm, Mel's Cargo workspaces will be like. It all seems pretty par for the course for new, corporate office environments. My contract ends tomorrow anyway, so it's not going to affect me.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » September 30th, 2015, 1:37 pm

http://finance-commerce.com/2015/09/big ... er-center/

Renovations are planned for the Baker Center since Wells Fargo is planning to move out to their new towers. Specifically, renovation plans are more focused on the investors building.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » September 30th, 2015, 3:00 pm

My dream scenario on that block would be a new tower on the half block facing Marquette replacing Investor's and Roanoke (height loaded towards 7th St), a conversion of Baker into high-end condos, maybe conversion of US Trust Building into a swanky midcentury modern hotel or something, and an atrium between it all.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » October 1st, 2015, 9:01 am

In addition to exterior renovations, I hope they also update the signage on the skyway entrances to the complex.
The website could use a new look too: http://www.bakercenter.com/ Woof!

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » October 1st, 2015, 9:09 am

In addition to exterior renovations, I hope they also update the signage on the skyway entrances to the complex.
The website could use a new look too: http://www.bakercenter.com/ Woof!
I'd like them to have their street-level entrances unlocked after 5 pm (think they lock them at five, might be slightly later).

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 1st, 2015, 11:13 am

The Baker Building it's self would be a historic structure so that one would have to be worked around. Not sure how the other 3 building would do as far as being save from possible tear down and redevelopment. What I do like about this complex is that you can take passage ways on the ground floor thru the center. Kind of a skyway on the ground floor. All 4 buildings are nicely connected to each other with out getting lost.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » October 1st, 2015, 3:20 pm

401 First Ave N has its first tenant signed: Coyote logistics

http://finance-commerce.com/2015/10/coy ... -building/

Passed by twice today and the building seems to be in full swing for construction

http://www.coyote.com/

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 1st, 2015, 4:08 pm

Cool, it is about time that the Nate's building gets completed. Strange how long that 1st Ave has been having building renovated. The Butler Square block has to be at least 30+ years now. Yet there are real holes in the street scape with the number of ground level vacancies and empty buildings. Hopefully this and the Lakeland Building renovation will help to get the avenue back up to speed.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » October 1st, 2015, 5:14 pm

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/b ... lding.html

Looks like 140 people will move from Brooklyn Park.

Munch'n
Nicollet Mall

Postby Munch'n » October 1st, 2015, 5:48 pm

With the new LRT starting construction soon, this will just be the first of many.
Meet me in Wells

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » October 1st, 2015, 6:09 pm

I sure hope so, because downtown lost 1000+ TCF employees to plymouth and god knows how many target employees this year.

Munch'n
Nicollet Mall

Postby Munch'n » October 1st, 2015, 6:26 pm

I sure hope so, because downtown lost 1000+ TCF employees to plymouth and god knows how many target employees this year.
Yeah guys from what's happening in Chicago I see very positive things coming in Minneapolis' future. Today ConAgra foods from Omaha (a fortune 500 company) moved it's HQ to Chicago. Chicago is starting to rip away companies from the suburbs, I guess they've figured out that if they want young workers they need to be near entertainment and a great transportation system. The LRT is crucial for Minneapolis' future, If I had the money I would buy near the farmers market station. :lol:
Meet me in Wells

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 1st, 2015, 6:33 pm

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/b ... lding.html

Looks like 140 people will move from Brooklyn Park.
30,000SF out of how large of building? Would that be 1/4, 1/2, or more than 50% of the leasable office space. The plus is they have room to add 110 workers before it get cramped and they are looking for new digs or more SF in the building. Says fast growing, how many workers do they add every quarter? 140 workers should help the restaurants along 1st ave, up to 250 down the road. Now that they have Coyote signed it should be easier to get others to join them in the building. Getting that first tenant can be a bitch, but once you have one signed others will seriously start looking at your property. Just look at his 510 Marquette building, how fast that filled when a big name decided to move in.

Is there a pending lease for the old restaurant space on the ground floor?

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » October 1st, 2015, 7:26 pm

Today ConAgra foods from Omaha (a fortune 500 company) moved it's HQ to Chicago.
Fun fact: Omaha tore down a huge historic warehouse district to keep ConAgra there back in the late 80s. Great investment!