Loring Vue Apartments - (415 Oak Grove Street)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
MNdible
is great.

Re: Loring Vue Apartments - (415 Oak Grove Street)

Postby MNdible » October 29th, 2012, 1:04 pm

Yes, we’ve been over all of this before, and I certainly don’t expect that I’ll change anybody’s mind, but I'll get into it again because there's a smugness on this board regarding this project that bothers me. Redisciple, you’ve been consistent with your points of view, and I appreciate that (even if I don’t agree with you on this). But many others on the board seem to think that a five story building in the Wedge is ludicrous, whereas the neighbors who thought that five stories instead of seven on Loring Hill are nothing but damned NIMBY’s.

The neighborhood support for the Magellan project has been longstanding, and the different responses to these two projects point to several things:

One of them is, unfortunately, a very nasty personality issue with the developer, who throughout the process handled himself very poorly. I don’t think developers need to grovel to neighborhood groups, but there is the old phrase about catching more flies with honey than vinegar.

Another is the idea that approvals for CUP’s relate to the actual conditions on the ground – that a site two blocks from downtown is not the same as a site that’s eight blocks from downtown, that a site surrounded by historic homes is not the same as a site surrounded by high density mixed use development. The city is empowered to apply reasonable conditions to approvals, and should do so.

As for profitability, I’ll never knock a developer for trying to make money on a project. That’s why they do them, after all. But my sympathy tends to run out when they overpay for a piece of land with the assumption that they’ll get a bunch of approvals to build in excess of what the existing zoning allows. They’re free to do so, but they’re gambling with their own money.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » October 29th, 2012, 1:56 pm

I agree with all of that. But I also support this development and think it is a positive addition to the neighborhood. I don't believe that to be a contradiction.

I do agree with you that the extension near the white house is unnecessary and should not have been built. But did the neighborhood group express concern about that specifically? It seems to me like they were much more general in their critique and vastly overstated the potential negative impact -- which screams of NIMBYism.
Towns!

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » October 29th, 2012, 2:17 pm

I agree with all of that. But I also support this development and think it is a positive addition to the neighborhood. I don't believe that to be a contradiction.

I do agree with you that the extension near the white house is unnecessary and should not have been built. But did the neighborhood group express concern about that specifically? It seems to me like they were much more general in their critique and vastly overstated the potential negative impact -- which screams of NIMBYism.
And in spite of my criticism, I also think that this project is a net positive for the neighborhood-- it's better than a parking lot, as many have correctly stated. I just think that a different project that was a touch more respectful would have been even better.

As for whether there were any negotiations over the specifics of the project, I frankly doubt it. The relationships had been poisoned, and I think the developer correctly saw that because of the past litigation, the city was going to be prone to give them all of the approvals they asked for, so there was no need for negotiations on their part. Neighborhood groups usually aren’t savvy enough to negotiate (and their committee structure of people with different viewpoints makes it very difficult). In practice, I think the negotiation is that they reject things they don’t like and hope that developers come back with something else that’s better.

minneapolisguy
Nicollet Mall

Postby minneapolisguy » October 29th, 2012, 4:18 pm

Who knows what the hang-ups these people have - but they can't seem to let them go - thats their problem - all I know is we have a beautiful 7 story building going up in this neighborhood - that will have zero impact on anyone in this neighborhood - and more tax dollars going to the city.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » October 30th, 2012, 12:55 am

^^^Well , the good news is the building is nearing completion and its here to stay for 50 years or so. This development did not displace anyone except for maybe a few squirrels. And Loring Park will remain a diverse mixed income neighborhood , even with this development and 1368 Lasalle. So Minneapolisguy, rest easy and enjoy the view!

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » November 10th, 2012, 7:00 pm

I can't wait for them to finish the sidewalk up here.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » November 10th, 2012, 7:22 pm

I walked by there on Thursday and notices that most of the masonary work is now complete and the siding looks complete on the west side and tyhe south side ,Minus the little wing that bumps out towards the house. I'm probably optimistic, but maybe it will be covered except for the final trim work by Thanksgiving.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » November 26th, 2012, 5:53 pm

Drywall was being boomed in this afternoon. Exterior work on the Oak Grove façade is almost finished. Looks to be wide open still inside.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » November 29th, 2012, 9:01 pm

Went by there today and saw inside on 1st floor drywall was up cabinets were in place and even hardwood doors were in place and walls were white. Not sure if it was just primer or finish coat (it looked a little dull and unfinished) I guess everything is really starting to come together. Also the west side they had a big tent out covering the grand steps I'm guessing to pour concrete for steps. It's starting to look like it's almost finished and ready for renters!

theroose
Block E

Postby theroose » December 6th, 2012, 4:24 pm

Visited their website today and saw this new rendering of the project right on the homepage slideshow. Thought I'd share incase others haven't seen it yet.
home-1.jpg

Aville_37
Union Depot

Postby Aville_37 » December 6th, 2012, 8:11 pm

On a side note, does anyone know what's going on with the mansion next door? I believe it's unoccupied and lastly was used for office space. Does anyone think this area would support a restaurant/cafe? I know street parking would be bit#@@#, but for residents within walking, thought maybe the mansion could be turned into a restaurant.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » December 6th, 2012, 8:25 pm

Someone bought it and was intending to raise his family there. It is occupied as far as I know. I did hear a rumor he's pissed about the building next door and stopped paying his mortgage.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

612transplant
Nicollet Mall

Postby 612transplant » December 6th, 2012, 9:45 pm

Someone bought it and was intending to raise his family there. It is occupied as far as I know. I did hear a rumor he's pissed about the building next door and stopped paying his mortgage.
Side not on the side note:

He is refusing to pay his mortgage because he doesn't like the development next door? That's replacing a parking lot? Not a couple of historic houses, not his all-time favorite restaurant, but a parking lot???

What a p!55y little baby. I swear, the more I hear about some of these Loring Park "neighbors," the less I like them :roll:

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » December 7th, 2012, 8:02 am

On a side note, does anyone know what's going on with the mansion next door? I believe it's unoccupied and lastly was used for office space. Does anyone think this area would support a restaurant/cafe? I know street parking would be bit#@@#, but for residents within walking, thought maybe the mansion could be turned into a restaurant.
I like that idea (restaurant), and if the owner continues to default on his mortgage payments then it won't be a very unrealistic idea to think this could be used as a restaurant in the very near future!

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » December 7th, 2012, 8:25 am

Lol, I am sure he has hurt the developers feelings.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » December 7th, 2012, 8:31 am

Lol, I am sure he has hurt the developers feelings.
I'm sure the bank/lending institution will understand as well!

Chef
Landmark Center

Postby Chef » December 7th, 2012, 11:07 am

Turning a house into a restaurant is rarely a good idea. It causes all sorts of problems with execution and finances due to the fact that houses are not designed to be restaurants. I was the head chef of one for four years (Duplex). Never again.

The other element is that once you turn a house into a restaurant it is cost prohibitive to turn it back into a house if the restaurant fails (and also the city generally doesn't want to rezone from commercial to residential).

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » December 7th, 2012, 11:29 am

Of course being this is an online thread that gives us the right to shame anybody we choose without knowing the entire story. :roll: Mostly because rumors are based on facts :roll: ...anyways I think a restaurant is an awful idea the lack of parking (unless they used the "church" parking lot) off of the main drag aka bad location and little foot traffic! Of course two new residential buildings full of luxury apartments with underground parking would frequent this restaurant and make it a success! :roll:

but with it being rather close to so many colleges I think it could be turned into a nice collage dorm with shared bathrooms. tons of parking for students and two entrances possible even just turned into two townhouses depending on the layout. I think it would be nice to keep it as a residential building. If the owner really dosen't want the home anymore it sure would be nice if VUE or 430 Oaks picked it up and managed it as a 2nd building to make everything easier. Of course it would be doubtful that everything I wish would come true but hey I could dream lol

minneapolisguy
Nicollet Mall

Postby minneapolisguy » December 8th, 2012, 8:03 am

The front staircase was revealed the other day - it was covered with large plastic tarps for almost a week while the concrete set - looks really really nice -

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » December 8th, 2012, 9:59 am

The front staircase was revealed the other day - it was covered with large plastic tarps for almost a week while the concrete set - looks really really nice -

Awesome! I also noted that the sidewalk was getting poured, and looked nice. The concrete retaining wall along the West sidewalk had spaces for lighting, should be real nice to walk by even at night!