Loring Vue Apartments - (415 Oak Grove Street)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
John
Capella Tower

Re: Loring Vue Apartments - (415 Oak Grove Street)

Postby John » October 7th, 2012, 10:43 am

Those small balconies are nice for adding a few plants...that's about it. I like the horizontal matte black siding. Gives the building some nice subtle texture and looks very modern.

minneapolisguy
Nicollet Mall

Postby minneapolisguy » October 11th, 2012, 5:24 pm

The crane which went up June 1st is coming down today.

minneapolisguy
Nicollet Mall

Postby minneapolisguy » October 12th, 2012, 5:40 am

one more image from the top of the hill - looking towards downtown.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » October 13th, 2012, 12:34 pm

Does anybody know what material they are going to use to create that cascading linear decorative element that sweeps down the Clifton side of the building? Is it Copper? Looks somewhat like patinaded steel to me. Anyways , I can't wait to see that added to the building's exterior! I should look wonderful.

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » October 16th, 2012, 3:12 pm

today I went by there and they had huge mounds of dirt from digging in front of the building. Also about 4ft. round black plastic pipe plus a white sewer pickup truck. that pipe looks like it would hold alot of... :lol:

Also 15th street was down to one lane (ea way i think) as they were working on the building too. Not a good day to travel through the area by car during rush hour as luckly I made my shopping trip just before the rush started.

no to exciting but it's something...

minneapolisguy
Nicollet Mall

Postby minneapolisguy » October 16th, 2012, 6:05 pm

alot of the scaffolding and plastic wrap on the west side of the building is gone and you can see all the nice brick work that has been done on this side.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » October 16th, 2012, 6:36 pm

Thanks for the pics Minneapolisguy. The nice brick with stone accents picks up the coloration of many of the buildings around it, giving it a good sense of context to the neighborhood.
Last edited by John on October 16th, 2012, 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beykite
Nicollet Mall

Postby beykite » October 16th, 2012, 8:52 pm

View from the park across the pond. I Think this fits right in scale wise. From what I've seen up close it looks like this will fit in great with the stone facade.
rsz_dsc_0535.jpg

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » October 17th, 2012, 11:27 am

I see some units will actually have a view of the lake!

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » October 17th, 2012, 12:19 pm

I see some units will actually have a view of the lake!
Not only of the pond and Loring Park , but a spectacular view of the skyline!

minntransplant
Nicollet Mall

Postby minntransplant » October 17th, 2012, 12:52 pm

Handsome, clean, and simple. I think this building will age nicely. Thanks for the pics!

minneapolisguy
Nicollet Mall

Postby minneapolisguy » October 29th, 2012, 6:27 am

Walking to work this morning I walked by the sales trailer for this property and noticed someone had wrote in chalk on the sidewalk right in front of it "100% Greed"

Clearly some of the CLPC moron's are still so very upset over this project - after 7 or 8 years - it's amazing how petty people are - I wonder if they will do the same thing in front of the new Magellan project or the Loring Park office building - or if they are still just so annoyed that they lost the battle on this project and could not keep it to 2.5 stories - pathetic..

I'll post of photo of it later tonight.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » October 29th, 2012, 6:41 am

Yeah I saw that as well, and they chalked it on the bridge leading to the trailer too. Took a picture but decided not to get into it. I want to vote for Romney sometimes...
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Postby mplser » October 29th, 2012, 9:33 am

Yeah I saw that as well, and they chalked it on the bridge leading to the trailer too. Took a picture but decided not to get into it. I want to vote for Romney sometimes...
I wouldnt go so far as to say I'd vote for romney, but some people have to realize that democracy means you have a say in your government. It doesn't mean you are the ultimate deciding factor on exactly when, where, and what is built on all privately owned land in your city... There are 100 beter examples of greedy places in this city to write things like this, but they chose here, because they don't like that their parking lot is gone...

minneapolisguy
Nicollet Mall

Postby minneapolisguy » October 29th, 2012, 9:56 am

I don't think it has anything to do with the parking lot being gone - more that the neighborhood group got themselves way too worked up over this project starting 7 years ago and they did not want anything more then 2.5 stories - no compromises!!

They didn't get that and they are mad about it - so one or more of them is acting out - pretty lame - time to get over it and move no with your life I say.

beykite
Nicollet Mall

Postby beykite » October 29th, 2012, 10:00 am

I want to vote for Romney sometimes...
Whoa whoa whoa lets all just be cool guys... No need for any drastic decisions here.

Maybe they'll get lucky and some developer who is bent on loosing as much money as he can before his impending divorce will come and build some sprawled out one story half block apartment building with another half block of surface parking. Yes, too much greed is bad. However, it is greed itself which drives people to build these kinds of developments. Developers wouldn't deal with all the hassels of the building industry just to break even.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » October 29th, 2012, 10:09 am

I don't think it has anything to do with the parking lot being gone - more that the neighborhood group got themselves way too worked up over this project starting 7 years ago and they did not want anything more then 2.5 stories - no compromises!!
For the record, the neighborhood was very interested in a compromise, but the developer asked for the absolute maximum height and FAR allowed under the base zoning and asked the city to not impose any conditions as part of the CUP to completely ignore the restrictions of the Shoreland Overlay District. The city, apparently still skittish about getting sued, gave them every single thing they asked for.

I agree that chalking is a silly thing to do, but let's not needlessly bash an entire neighborhood or distort the facts.

minneapolisguy
Nicollet Mall

Postby minneapolisguy » October 29th, 2012, 10:28 am

Not sure I agree with you on the neighborhood/CLPC members being willing to compromise - i was at many of those meetings and they wanted to stick to the 2.5 stories based on the shore land overlay district - I never saw a lot of willingness to compromise going on - saw a lot of stubbornness instead

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » October 29th, 2012, 10:47 am

Yeah, people love to throw whatever delicious red herring they like most. Loring Park people use anti-capitalism/greed, Linden Hills folk use loss of preciousness, Hiawatha corridor use traffic concerns, suburban people use fear of brown people. They mostly don't believe what they say, they are just the NIMBYs. They like to feel some power over their environment.

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » October 29th, 2012, 12:32 pm

For the record, the neighborhood was very interested in a compromise, but the developer asked for the absolute maximum height and FAR allowed under the base zoning and asked the city to not impose any conditions as part of the CUP to completely ignore the restrictions of the Shoreland Overlay District. The city, apparently still skittish about getting sued, gave them every single thing they asked for.

I agree that chalking is a silly thing to do, but let's not needlessly bash an entire neighborhood or distort the facts.
Wasn't the "compromise" to allow 3 stories to be built? Certainly he didn't have to build 7 to be profitable here, but I can't imagine how a 3 story building would make money. If I went to Subway and offered them $2 for a footlong, and they refused, could you say that they weren't willing to compromise?

I think this is the proper moment to note that CLPC still has renderings of this project up in the most prominent position on their window. Aren't there any other issues that have cropped up since? I can think of sleek 36-story issue that at least one neighborhood resident is concerned about. And it seems to me that many citizens of this neighborhood would be concerned about a ballot question up this year. My point being, if I have one, that most of us are not bashing the "entire neighborhood" for its behavior but rather the neighborhood organization.

PS that the SO overlay is a NIMBY sop is a fact that even NIMBYs admit to, and it is made most obvious by its application to Loring Pond. I believe we've had most of this discussion before.
"Who rescued whom!"