Stadium LRT Station, Ped Bridge & Plaza (MSFA block)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Navin
City Center

Re: Stadium LRT Station, Ped Bridge & Plaza (MSFA block)

Postby Navin » November 11th, 2015, 4:05 pm

(it crosses Chicago, right?)
Yes, it does. http://www.mprnews.org/story/2015/10/23 ... fig-155360

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » November 11th, 2015, 4:11 pm

Nobody's going to use this. Why take the long way up, over and back down when you can just wait for the train to pass? It would be different if it connected directly to the stadium.
My guess is they will have the intersection closed off during games. Essentially forcing anyone on foot, at that corner, to use the bridge. It's too bad that they aren't connecting it across 4th to the new ramp too. It would allow more use/flow options.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » November 11th, 2015, 9:38 pm

It's too bad that they aren't connecting it across 4th to the new ramp too. It would allow more use/flow options.
Yes, this seems like a much more valuable connection than a direct one to the stadium. I guess I wouldn't be surprised if this were added soon -- it could also be an open air connection as opposed to a skyway.

Am I remembering correctly that the skyway from the ramp to the stadium is intended only for the VIPs?

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » November 12th, 2015, 10:24 am

Which is why it was interesting that original stadium renderings showed a skyway across 4th St from the MSFA block to vertical circulation for the existing DTE ramp, which would have provided direct connectivity between the stadium and the westbound LRT platform without any rail/road crossings.

But nobody seems to remember that.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » November 12th, 2015, 11:33 am

Am I remembering correctly that the skyway from the ramp to the stadium is intended only for the VIPs?
I'm not certain, but my impression was that the skyway was needed for the VIPs, but that it's not exclusive to VIPs. It only makes sense than anyone who parks in that ramp will be able to use it, no?

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » November 12th, 2015, 11:41 am

That would seem to make sense at first blush, but my sense is that where the skyway enters the stadium, it's going directly into the VIP area. Beyond that, it would seem like it's not really designed to be able to do security screening and admission for the crushes of people that might want to use it on a cold December game day.

I don't remember where I saw these numbers, but I seem to recall that they were anticipating that 80% of attendees would be entering through the big doors off of the plaza.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » November 12th, 2015, 11:43 am

Maybe there's a security area inside the stadium? That's how it works at Target Center, where most fans enter through skyways.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » November 12th, 2015, 12:01 pm

I checked the old plans that were made public (back in 2013!), and while there is a connection between the skyway and the general admission (non-VIP) parts of the stadium, it is narrow and circuitous. So, I'm skeptical that this will be a part of "THE BEST GAMEDAY EXPERIENCE IN THE NFL".

fehler
Rice Park

Postby fehler » November 12th, 2015, 12:11 pm

I thought the VIP ramp was yet to be constructed on the lot across 4th east of Chicago, with a separate skyway. The lot we are leasing from Zigi to store dirt for Zigi's stadium.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » November 12th, 2015, 12:14 pm

The lot that Zygi* owns?

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » November 12th, 2015, 12:30 pm

Zigy owns the 2 lots to the north of the stadium. Those weird narrow lots. From the old concept diagrams, I'm sure you are correct about the VIP parking ramp. Really not sure what else would work there being the Eden House/Minnesota Recovery Center and the LRT sandwich the lots in between. Not the location of luxury apartments and condo's that is for sure. With 3rd and 4th being so busy, I find it hard to imagine what else would work there with the road elevation changes and the LRT noises.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » November 12th, 2015, 2:19 pm

Zigy owns the 2 lots to the north of the stadium. Those weird narrow lots. From the old concept diagrams, I'm sure you are correct about the VIP parking ramp. Really not sure what else would work there being the Eden House/Minnesota Recovery Center and the LRT sandwich the lots in between. Not the location of luxury apartments and condo's that is for sure. With 3rd and 4th being so busy, I find it hard to imagine what else would work there with the road elevation changes and the LRT noises.
Zigy has stated that he plans a mixed-use for those lots. Whatever that means. And if housing can work at Chicago and 4th & 3rd - it could certainly work there (IMO). And the MSFA ramp will have spots for the VIPs - at least for next fall's Grand Opening. Could that change in the future? Sure. There were sketches of the original stadium that showed the southeast corner of the stadium connected via skyway to the ramp across 6th as well.

maxbaby
Landmark Center

Postby maxbaby » November 20th, 2015, 7:50 am

Silophant

Postby Silophant » November 20th, 2015, 8:29 am

I thought I had read somewhere that final approval wouldn't happen until some meeting on Dec. 9?
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » November 20th, 2015, 8:31 am

I thought I had read somewhere that final approval wouldn't happen until some meeting on Dec. 9?
Correct. It now goes before the full board on 12/9, for final approval.

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » November 20th, 2015, 8:34 am

Correct. It now goes before the full board on 12/9, for final approval.
Serious question: Is there ANY price tag for this that would be too high for Met Council? If I were "LS Constructors" (like that is a real thing), I'd come back with an added $5M because they'd get it.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » November 20th, 2015, 8:47 am

Serious question: Is there ANY price tag for this that would be too high for Met Council? If I were "LS Constructors" (like that is a real thing), I'd come back with an added $5M because they'd get it.
I don't think that would fly. It would mean another vote, due to a price change. And that would surely result in a cancellation of this project. It's just too bad that this couldn't have been vetted better, further in advance. But alas, it wasn't. So the council is in for $4M and the Vikings $5.

nBode
Union Depot

Postby nBode » November 20th, 2015, 9:50 am

Except the Vikings are guaranteed to get all that back with ad revenue at the LRT station; so really, Vikings contribution = $0.

J2K
Metrodome

Postby J2K » November 20th, 2015, 10:01 am

I still don't see the need for this bridge. Sure seemed fine without it when the metrodome was there. I don't get it. Why didn't they build the stupid thing years ago then?

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » November 20th, 2015, 10:17 am

I still don't see the need for this bridge. Sure seemed fine without it when the metrodome was there. I don't get it. Why didn't they build the stupid thing years ago then?
Not that I'm convinced that the bridge is necessary, but the answer to this is:
With the Green Line, there are twice as many trains as there used to be when the Metrodome was there.