Nicollet Mall

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
BBMplsMN
Nicollet Mall

Re: Nicollet Mall

Postby BBMplsMN » February 6th, 2020, 9:18 am

Not sure where to post this, but it does feature the Nicollet project as an example. It's a story on comparing renderings to the reality of the finished project.

https://www.fox9.com/news/art-of-the-de ... pectations

SurlyLHT
Foshay Tower

Postby SurlyLHT » February 6th, 2020, 1:09 pm

I wouldn't mind seeing some restrictions on the renderings. Some of them look like they're out of a movie or etc. With that said the City Office building seems to match pretty well so far. Thrivent actually looks better than the renderings. Nicollet..well...long story

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » February 6th, 2020, 1:36 pm

We have definitely seen some examples of renderings that pretty closely match what was actually built, but we’ve definitely seen examples of renderings that don’t match at all. I think developers need to be held more accountable to the renderings.

I’ve gotten used to the whole Nicollet Mall re-design thing, but I’m still not the biggest fan. I don’t think it really looks much like with the renderings illustrated. It would have been so cool to have the stairway is going up to the skyway at seventh Street. During the summer, I would’ve definitely hung out there and watched people.

could this be an instance where a form based code would be more helpful. Developers would have a specific form that they must stick to. It would put more emphasis on the physical appearance of a building or a street layout, as opposed to the uses of that street. A form based code is very much based on pictures and illustrations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » February 6th, 2020, 10:32 pm

Sometimes a building looks better than the rendering , other times not so great. One thing I've noticed over the years is how frequently proposals for landscape architecture /park projects fall short of the expectations from the renderings. A lot of the issue comes down to the reality of budgetary constraints. That was definitely the case for both the renovation of Nicollet Mall and the recent Commons park project by the stadium.

Austinite
Metrodome

Postby Austinite » September 10th, 2020, 3:59 pm

Just curious what people's thought are about Nicollet now that it seems the greening has taken root. Of course not much activity currently but overall appearance?

grrdanko
Nicollet Mall

Postby grrdanko » September 10th, 2020, 8:23 pm

Just curious what people's thought are about Nicollet now that it seems the greening has taken root. Of course not much activity currently but overall appearance?
Nicollet Mall makes me sad right now. As far as the greening goes they removed all the landscaping rocks around the trees and replaced them with wood chips. This is causing many to the tree trunks to rot. I'd be willing to wager that many of the trees will be dead by next spring. It also causes a smell when used as a frequent urinal.

Austinite
Metrodome

Postby Austinite » September 21st, 2020, 11:49 am

When I was just back in town thought for the most part the greening looks really good. The roughest areas where in the middle where the plantings in the planters were obviously damaged during the riots/protests and the people continue to let animals into the planting beds around trees. Really don't understand why the city didn't include some type of low fencing in these areas. The ends of the Nicollet looked the best.

Austinite
Metrodome

Postby Austinite » October 8th, 2020, 12:14 pm

Holiday Lighting - any news if the DID/city are going to up lighting this year? There were numerous complaints the last few years about no lighting on the trees. I had contacted DID myself and they said the didn't have the ability to put up lighting - no outlets in the bedding areas. Now that they replaced the uplighting, they also installed outlets. Really hope people push them to put up some holiday lighting and decorations this year.

Austinite
Metrodome

Postby Austinite » October 12th, 2020, 4:20 pm

Holiday Lighting - any news if the DID/city are going to up lighting this year? There were numerous complaints the last few years about no lighting on the trees. I had contacted DID myself and they said the didn't have the ability to put up lighting - no outlets in the bedding areas. Now that they replaced the uplighting, they also installed outlets. Really hope people push them to put up some holiday lighting and decorations this year.
So I heard back from the Mpls. DID and was informed there will be lighting in the trees from Grant to 12th, and then from 5th to Washington. They will again be putting on a light and sound show in the mid-blocks where the art lanterns and light walk are. At least it's something. Hoping Greening Mpls. will put up some lighting in Peavey.

Austinite
Metrodome

Postby Austinite » October 15th, 2020, 9:43 am

So I heard back from the Mpls. DID and was informed there will be lighting in the trees from Grant to 12th, and then from 5th to Washington. They will again be putting on a light and sound show in the mid-blocks where the art lanterns and light walk are. At least it's something. Hoping Greening Mpls. will put up some lighting in Peavey.
Yep. Lights in Peavey too!

seanrichardryan
Capella Tower

Postby seanrichardryan » October 16th, 2020, 8:06 am

I hope they're multi-colored and not just plain white. Give it some personality DID!
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Austinite
Metrodome

Postby Austinite » October 23rd, 2020, 5:41 pm

At this point - anything is better than nothing! Since Holidazzle is going to be virtual - wonder if they will just use their lights. Really would love the city come up with something unique for Nicollet. Utilize the banner light posts - attach some cool lighted decorations...perhaps inspired by the decorations used in the 20-50's. Something perhaps nostalgic.