Nicollet Mall

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
ztr421
Nicollet Mall

Re: Nicollet Mall

Postby ztr421 » September 9th, 2013, 9:10 am

Is any one else confused by the rendering by Tom Leader Studio of Berkeley, Calif.? It looks like he's taken out Gaviidae, moved the Wells Fargo tower over to Nicollet where Gaviidae was, and removed the City Center.... that seems ambitious.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 9th, 2013, 9:14 am

Yeah, there was something weird going on with that. My take away from it is that they're proposing to open up a big chunk of City Center, back to the old Multifoods tower.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » September 9th, 2013, 10:27 am

It's SO messed up. I think there are buildings that don't even exist in mpls... Having just been in Montreal, on some of their awesome shared/pedestrian streets... I love what Daoust Lestage is proposing it's simple, easy to execute, creates a great sense of place.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » September 9th, 2013, 10:55 am

Is any one else confused by the rendering by Tom Leader Studio of Berkeley, Calif.? It looks like he's taken out Gaviidae, moved the Wells Fargo tower over to Nicollet where Gaviidae was, and removed the City Center.... that seems ambitious.
Isn't very flattering about there knowledge of our city, Nicollet Mall, and the buildings abutting it. Puts up a red flag already which I realize is unintentional but...

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » September 9th, 2013, 11:28 am

Where are the streetcars?

Look, I know some people have a fantasy of a transit-less mall, but that goes against pretty much every policy at the city and metropolitan level.

If any of these designers/consultants proposed a Nicollet Mall without transit, they shall be awarded no points and may god have mercy on their soul.

Aville_37
Union Depot

Postby Aville_37 » September 9th, 2013, 11:30 am

I'll wait to make a final judgement until I see more renderings. Right now - underwhelmed by those that seem doable, and apprehensive about those that are more ambitious as I doubt they will ever come to fruition as proposed.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » September 9th, 2013, 11:46 am

Where are the streetcars?
I'd assume that since they aren't a done deal, they don't have to be included. I'd also assume that if they show a market set up, that they are just closing some of the areas at certain times for events... I mean these are just quick submissions to get shortlisted... I'd imagine these teams were selected more based on their portfolios than these images.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 9th, 2013, 12:28 pm

At least one of the images did seem to show rails embedded in the mall.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » September 9th, 2013, 12:36 pm

I was curious about that as well.
1. Anyone know how wide the existing bus lanes are on the Mall?
2. Would two-way streetcars need less ROW if we had streetcars but not buses on the mall? Seems like this could allow better integration of the streetscape and the ROW dedicated to transit.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 9th, 2013, 6:14 pm

I was curious about that as well.
1. Anyone know how wide the existing bus lanes are on the Mall?
2. Would two-way streetcars need less ROW if we had streetcars but not buses on the mall? Seems like this could allow better integration of the streetscape and the ROW dedicated to transit.

The ROW may shrink a little, but not that noticeable as the trains and buses are pretty much the same width!

stock345
City Center

Postby stock345 » September 10th, 2013, 1:04 am

http://youtu.be/2A71ETuTyxw

Going for THE largest building ever picked up off its foundation and moved. :lol:

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » September 10th, 2013, 9:04 am

In all seriousness, is a tunnel even being considered through downtown while they're already re-doing building face-to-face construction? Businesses and transit will already be impacted, and certain fixed costs will be sunk as well. This is a once per 30 year type project, and if it's rebuilt without a tunnel I doubt we'd be able to do it in the future. Is this a priority?

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » September 13th, 2013, 1:28 pm

According to the City of Minneapolis Facebook Page
Three design teams are competing to transform and revitalize Nicollet Mall. Want to see their ideas? Come to the Guthrie Theater on Tuesday Sept. 17 where their visions will be unveiled.
http://www.nicolletmallproject.com/

Avian
Union Depot

Postby Avian » September 13th, 2013, 2:35 pm

Isn't very flattering about there knowledge of our city, Nicollet Mall, and the buildings abutting it. Puts up a red flag already which I realize is unintentional but...

Not to mention that the Nicolet Mall Project website says this:

"3 Fortune 500 companies are headquartered on the Mall (U.S. Bank, Wells Fargo and Target)"

Hmmm. Didn't know Wells Fargo moved their HQ to Minneapolis. Or their building onto the Mall. Maybe Tom Leader is on to something! ;)

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato

JMS9

Postby JMS9 » September 13th, 2013, 10:52 pm

That is interesting but i believe I heard that while yes, technically speaking, Wells Fargo is HQ'd in San Fran, most of the banks top execs are actually still here in Minneapolis and the bulk of the operations are here. I could be way off here but I recall hearing that Norwest acquired Wells Fargo, switched to the Wells Fargo name because it had a more national recognition, and calling San Fran the HQ was more window dressing than reality.

Just what I heard over the years. Could very well be 100% wrong.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 14th, 2013, 7:25 pm

That is interesting but i believe I heard that while yes, technically speaking, Wells Fargo is HQ'd in San Fran, most of the banks top execs are actually still here in Minneapolis and the bulk of the operations are here. I could be way off here but I recall hearing that Norwest acquired Wells Fargo, switched to the Wells Fargo name because it had a more national recognition, and calling San Fran the HQ was more window dressing than reality.

Just what I heard over the years. Could very well be 100% wrong.
What you say is mostly 98% correct. The so called shift to SF was more a window dressing as Wells Fargo has been in SF since it inspection. Like when Daytons moved Marshall Fields headquarters to MPLS was sacrilege to those in Chicago! Was much cheaper rent here in MPLS to have most of your banking operations and your CEO's homes are here. I think most would say that SF is a beautiful city, but not a place that they would want to live with the cost of living, transportation, and earthquakes!

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » September 16th, 2013, 8:25 am

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » September 16th, 2013, 10:10 am

it does have 3 fortune 500 hq's, but it's Xcel not wells fargo.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » September 16th, 2013, 10:39 am

Jesus. "Welfare mothers" AND "low lifes." Can the Strib *get* any more inhumane? What a sorry state of public conversation we have today.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » September 16th, 2013, 10:45 am

I'm no fan of much of the behavior on Nicollet Mall but I was pretty shocked by some of that language. Had to scroll up halfway through to check that it was, in fact, a staff editorial.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]