Nicollet Mall

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
trigonalmayhem

Re: Nicollet Mall Reconstruction Project

Postby trigonalmayhem » December 30th, 2015, 3:56 pm

So ignoring the concerns of a member of the public that rides transit is obviously the best way to prove they don't do that, right? And I know how to write in a more measured tone for a different audience.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » December 30th, 2015, 4:08 pm

FWIW, the people on this forum are far more insufferable than the average person, so if you're running into trouble here, you're probably not gonna do much better elsewhere.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

NEeaster
Metrodome

Postby NEeaster » January 13th, 2016, 7:12 pm

So I've been in touch with the person coordinating art on the new Nicollet - she said the artists selected for new art have just started working on their pieces and there should be open houses/announcements in the coming months. She said that the Sculpture Clock located near Peavey is being renovated and will be returned to that same location. Unfortunately the 3 Birds Fountain won't be returning to Nicollet as she's been directed by the city council to find a new location for it in N. Mpls. There won't be any new water features. That means the only water feature will be the existing fountain at the entrance to Loring Greenway. Disappointing.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » January 13th, 2016, 7:38 pm

That is disappointing. Hopefully the Peavey fountains get reactivated at some point.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » January 13th, 2016, 8:10 pm

So I've been in touch with the person coordinating art on the new Nicollet - she said the artists selected for new art have just started working on their pieces and there should be open houses/announcements in the coming months. She said that the Sculpture Clock located near Peavey is being renovated and will be returned to that same location. Unfortunately the 3 Birds Fountain won't be returning to Nicollet as she's been directed by the city council to find a new location for it in N. Mpls. There won't be any new water features. That means the only water feature will be the existing fountain at the entrance to Loring Greenway. Disappointing.
I'd say that the no water features is more of a future cost savings for the city not having to fill/drain the features, Maintenance on the pumps which I know from a few different other fountains have been rather expensive. There is the cost and maintenance of the actual plumbing and leaks and other fun stuff like that because of the freeze/thaw cycles here in MPLS.

I love water features, and for along it was very much for having them as parts of projects. But when they sit broken and look abandoned because there is no money in the budget to fix them, Just give me some good visual or kinetic art instead.

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » January 14th, 2016, 9:34 am

I'd say that the no water features is more of a future cost savings for the city not having to fill/drain the features, Maintenance on the pumps which I know from a few different other fountains have been rather expensive. There is the cost and maintenance of the actual plumbing and leaks and other fun stuff like that because of the freeze/thaw cycles here in MPLS.

I love water features, and for along it was very much for having them as parts of projects. But when they sit broken and look abandoned because there is no money in the budget to fix them, Just give me some good visual or kinetic art instead.
I fully agree with this last bit. Even when they are functioning and maintained, they still have to be shut down for 4-6 months of the year and they don't look great when they are shut down. The reflecting pool in front of the alumni center at the U is great when it's full, when it's not (and it isn't full of snow/ice), it looks pretty bleak. No one likes looking at a rubber membrane. All water features aren't rubber membranes but still...

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » January 14th, 2016, 9:46 am

That's the nice thing about the Peavey Plaza water features, that they were meant to be able to stand on their own as sculptural forms and as public spaces. The big reflecting pool was designed to also serve as a plaza when drained, etc.

Incidentally, I thought the Loring Greenway fountain was going to be removed? Isn't that where the "grove" or whatever of the new Mall is going?

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » January 20th, 2016, 8:37 pm

The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » January 20th, 2016, 9:13 pm

Whoops.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » January 20th, 2016, 9:34 pm

Because contractors don't know how to lay pavers? Are you kidding me? It's about the easiest thing out there. And it's been done for thousands of years. If we're pulling out all those granite pavers for poured concrete... or poorly done colored concrete... nope. Nope.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » January 20th, 2016, 9:43 pm

I don't get their explanation....the concrete pavers required a number of subcontractors to split up the work, and the costs nearly double?!

Electricianguy
Block E

Postby Electricianguy » January 20th, 2016, 9:51 pm

It is also pretty disappointing they are looking to scale back the already miniscule bus shelters.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » January 20th, 2016, 10:02 pm

Also, if the streetcar could be hustled along (*snicker*), that could help pay for pavers.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » January 21st, 2016, 1:39 am

Is anyone really surprised by this?

Dallas201
Block E

Postby Dallas201 » January 21st, 2016, 11:20 am

No, I am not at all surprised. They should have broken it up into smaller segments it was to much for one contractor to do everything. Plus having to deal with maintaining one side open for downtown pedestrians at all times only increases complications. Hope they learn from their mistake and fix their horrible flaw in sending the project to bid.

trigonalmayhem

Postby trigonalmayhem » January 21st, 2016, 12:09 pm

I'm so excited to see how the already underwhelming project gets value engineered to mostly a repaving with different public art. Who wants to take bets on whether or not they'll throw out the tabled intersections?

Also, the bus shelters are $900,000??? Seriously?! Almost a million bucks for like twelve shelters that provide almost no actual shelter from the environment ... What the hell costs so much there? If one of these breaks are they even going to be able to afford to replace it?

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » January 21st, 2016, 12:11 pm

If we're gonna go overbudget, we might as well just go all out and do a cut and over transit tunnel...
*ducks*

sushisimo
Landmark Center

Postby sushisimo » January 21st, 2016, 12:13 pm

I may be the only person who likes the northern two blocks of Nicollet Mall. The straight, concrete portion from the Library to Washington. Christ, just do that. And, save the trees. I don't need Gloria Gaynor mirror/tiles above my head. Fittingly, at first I was afraid, now I'm petrified.

trigonalmayhem

Postby trigonalmayhem » January 21st, 2016, 12:15 pm

If we're gonna go overbudget, we might as well just go all out and do a cut and over transit tunnel...
*ducks*
Agreed 110%.

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » January 21st, 2016, 12:40 pm

<insert comment about "1% engineering">
<insert comment that this was all expected>