Junction Flats - (643 Fifth Street North)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Le Sueur
Landmark Center

Re: Junction Flats - (643 Fifth Street North)

Postby Le Sueur » January 6th, 2013, 1:26 am

I don't think twincitizen meant the county missed it's only opportunity to sell. More they dug in their trenches and regardless of land value, for the foreseeable future have said, "this is the way we want things."

Chef
Landmark Center

Postby Chef » January 6th, 2013, 1:05 pm

[offtopic]
Why is it unrealistic to assume that some point in the next 10 years the HERC land will be prime real estate and a new garbage burner can be relocated somewhere out of the city's core?
Because it is unrealistic. What neighborhood or suburb would ever accept a garbage burner being built? Also, garbage trucks still run on gas. Some of the benefit of having the burner centrally located is that you don't have to truck garbage 30 miles away. Private trash haulers would not do that.

HERC will not be relocated. If it closes, that's it, done. No more burner, no more energy recovery. All that waste winds up in landfills. Target Field and the surrounding area lose free/cheap steam heat. HERC is by far the lesser of 2 evils. Get used to it (everyone), because I'm sick of making this point.

However, HERC should definitely be painted and landscaped to help it blend in a little better. The Interchange will help create pressure for this to happen[/offtopic]
Kasota Avenue - it is already an industrial area, it doesn't have any neighbors and it is centrally located.

contrast
Nicollet Mall

Postby contrast » January 7th, 2013, 9:54 pm

It would be difficult (impossible?) to suppy steam to the downtown district heating system from power plants that are not located downtown. Same goes for the one south of Accenture Tower on 3rd Ave. They may not always be pretty or well located after decades of growth, but district heating is a good economical solution for most downtown buildings. Although HERC seems to focus on electriciy generation- which doesn't need to be adjacent to the end user, steam is different situation.

When this was pretty much all industrial, the sighting for the HERC plant made sense. What other downtown block would have been a better alternative at that time?

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » January 8th, 2013, 8:18 am

^Somewhere downwind? Northeast?

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » January 8th, 2013, 12:27 pm

"The Minneapolis Planning Commission approved a proposal for a new six-story apartment building near Fulton Beer called Junction Flats at its meeting Monday night."

http://www.thejournalmpls.com/news-feed ... ulton-beer

jet777
Nicollet Mall

Postby jet777 » January 9th, 2013, 7:40 pm

I will certainly say this development would be an incredible win for that ghost town of a block. That pool and deck will have one hell of a view of either the 4th street viaduct or the HERC!

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » January 9th, 2013, 7:44 pm

I will certainly say this development would be an incredible win for that ghost town of a block. That pool and deck will have one hell of a view of either the 4th street viaduct or the HERC!
I doubt that area will remain a ghost town for long!

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » January 14th, 2013, 12:49 pm

@jet777 and @ fotoapparatic have the right idea, it just needs a bit of fleshing out.

We have to stop thinking about "moving the HERC" because that won't happen.

BUT,(wait for it) what DOES seem feasible/desirable is also somewhat likely IF we push for a progressive future which the city is already pursuing.

Bags of leaf waste going to landfill = gone! Single-sort recycling = here! Follow the trend and we are going to start seeing compost becoming a mandate. A ban on bottled water would be welcome in this city that is lucky enough to have an excellent drinking water source. The net effect of all of this is last "trash" to burn thus obviating the need for a HERC!

Enter the "River First" plan looking for "green industry." The HERC transforms and gets integrated into a composting/recycling center in the North area.

I'm being optimistic about a more hopeful and less petroleum based future here but that is what all of this "urbanism" is about right?

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » January 14th, 2013, 2:09 pm

I'm being optimistic about a more hopeful and less petroleum based future here but that is what all of this "urbanism" is about right?
Except, of course, for all of the petroleum required to move around our new "organics" trucks and then drive them to some exurban site where the composting will actually happen. Until I see some evidence otherwise, I find it very hard to believe that organics composting at a city-wide basis (as opposed to individual on-site composting) makes any more sense than burning these organics at HERC and generating electricity and steam where it is needed.

Composting must be green, right?!

Avian
Union Depot

Postby Avian » January 14th, 2013, 2:24 pm

I agree with your point. But I think Archiapolis is not talking about an exurban site. Just one in the new "green" river corridor north of downtown. That's only a mile further north than HERC is now. And it's in the middle of a light industrial center.

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » January 14th, 2013, 2:27 pm

...Bags of leaf waste going to landfill = gone!

Leaf / yard waste is already composted. It's your daily 'scraps' that are not.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » January 14th, 2013, 4:29 pm

You guys are wrecking my utopian dreams with your "realities." Curse you! =^]

In seriousness, MNdible has a good point about trucking waste "further" but Avian is right, I am talking about the "green" river corridor proposed for north of downtown. Some material would be trucked farther than the current HERC, others areas (North, northeast, etc.) would see less trucking. My point about yard waste is that it currently is NOT composting at a "central" location like the HERC (correct me if I'm wrong here). In my scenario, this "new HERC" would primarily be dedicated to composting and recycling.

With all of that said, I agree that composting on one's own site makes great sense. I am currently vermicomposting but for the average person, there is a LOT that can't be composted because of our climate/compost piles being too cold to consume a lot of material. This "new HERC" that I am proposing would fill this need.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » February 11th, 2013, 10:54 am

Looks like this one is still humming along, as the city is about to appropriate various grants from the Met Council's Tax Base Revitalization /Contaminant Cleanup Account.

$550k for this stinker (HERC reference) ;)

http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/groups ... 103970.pdf

Would you live here if you worked for Metro Transit? Or would that be a little too close to work for you?

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » March 4th, 2013, 6:33 pm

All systems go for an April groundbreaking: http://finance-commerce.com/2013/03/tra ... -in-april/ (paywall)

MotorCity2TwinCities
Nicollet Mall

Postby MotorCity2TwinCities » April 15th, 2013, 11:41 am

From the interchange webcam, it appears that they have started demolition of the building for this project today.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » April 15th, 2013, 12:47 pm

Beat me to it! I drove by this morning to see a bunch of activity in that neighborhood!

dingo
Metrodome

Postby dingo » April 16th, 2013, 7:06 pm

Live close by and noticed half of the old building was torn down today with more to come.

I personally would not choose to live there. Just driving down 6th Ave in the morning and evening it is tough to describe just how many buses are constantly turning into the Metro Transit. The buses will drive literally next to the Junction Flats all day and night pulling right behind the Holiday.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » April 16th, 2013, 10:34 pm

I really like the one bakery building with the glazed blond brick; it's very unfortunate it is being demolished. It would make an awesome restaurant space and it anchors the street nicely. Alas, more hanging balconies and oil-canned facades.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » April 20th, 2013, 3:16 pm

MotorCity2TwinCities
Nicollet Mall

Postby MotorCity2TwinCities » April 21st, 2013, 2:24 pm

JunctionFlats420.jpg