Holidazzle Market

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
MN Fats
Union Depot

Re: Holidazzle Market

Postby MN Fats » December 9th, 2015, 9:39 pm

I'd be shocked if it wasn't at downtown east commons next year.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » December 10th, 2015, 10:31 am

I don't know. If the retailers are the primary funders (it's downtown council, right? So I don't know if they are), I could see then not wanting to move it so far away.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » December 10th, 2015, 10:35 am

The Commons is definitely closer to the core of downtown retail than Loring Park is, no?

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » December 10th, 2015, 11:13 am

I don't know. If the retailers are the primary funders (it's downtown council, right? So I don't know if they are), I could see then not wanting to move it so far away.
The Commons is definitely closer to the core of downtown retail than Loring Park is, no?
Depends what kind of retail you're talking about.

If you mean "shopping", that's pretty much limited to the 4 corners of Nicollet & 7th (IDS, Macy's, City Center & Gaviidae).

If you mean people coming downtown to spend money at restaurants and bars, that tends to skew a little further south on Nicollet Mall, down to 11th/12th, much closer to the edge of Loring Park/Greenway.

Nicollet & 7th is 3,000 feet from the nearest edge of The Commons. Nicollet & 7th is 4,000 feet from the nearest edge of Loring Park (Willow & Grant). I'm not sure that's a meaningful difference, considering that neither are super close to the shopping core. Nothing will pack people into the "shopping core" like the parade did. The Commons would have the advantage of being slightly closer, plus a direct walk or LRT trip down 5th to Nicollet Mall. Loring Park has the advantage of being directly connected to the south end of Nicollet via the gorgeous Loring Greenway.

reeckman
Metrodome

Postby reeckman » December 10th, 2015, 12:04 pm

^^^Yet another advantage the Commons has is skyway proximity. The Loring Greenway on a normal winter would not be as good of access to downtown core shopping.

It would be interesting to hear from businesses whether downtown core shopping has even declined since the Holidazzle parade stopped.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » December 10th, 2015, 1:13 pm

^^^Yet another advantage the Commons has is skyway proximity. The Loring Greenway on a normal winter would not be as good of access to downtown core shopping.

It would be interesting to hear from businesses whether downtown core shopping has even declined since the Holidazzle parade stopped.
Completely unsupported by any data, I don't think the parade goers did much shopping. Too many little kids in tow. Which I always assumed was why they went away from it.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » December 10th, 2015, 3:56 pm

When I was in Loring Park for Hollidazzle it felt very sleepy. I'd think the Commons would better capture the energy of downtown.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » December 11th, 2015, 2:52 pm

Completely unsupported by any data, I don't think the parade goers did much shopping. Too many little kids in tow. Which I always assumed was why they went away from it.
They probably didn't do much for most retailers, but trying to get a seat at a restaurant nearby before or after the parade was a nightmare. And I worked at the downtown Target for a year during college and the Holidazzle rush was crazy, especially compared to other weeknights.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » December 11th, 2015, 3:54 pm

When I was in Loring Park for Hollidazzle it felt very sleepy. I'd think the Commons would better capture the energy of downtown.
Agree. Went last night and was a bit undrewhelmed. Food options might have been slightly better than last year, but it felt like a lot fewer vendors. Also, being amidst all that open space made it feel really small.