The Commons - Downtown East Park

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
MNdible
is great.

Re: The Commons - Downtown East Park

Postby MNdible » January 15th, 2016, 4:43 pm

It's not impossible, and their laziness doesn't excuse it.
Spoken like a man who doesn't have to clear his own sidewalk.

trigonalmayhem

Postby trigonalmayhem » January 15th, 2016, 4:47 pm

Yeah, it's included in my rent to pay people to do it. So I guess I'm a job creator?

The park board has a staff that does this, but they do it unequally. They show preference to certain areas and snub other areas. The places they snub just so happen to generally be areas of racially concentrated poverty. I smell a disparate impact lawsuit if they don't get their act together.

I also find it hilarious that you think areas that receive *more* sidewalk traffic somehow justifies the sidewalk being left in an unwalkable state more than places where it's less used. You do see the ridiculous nature of that statement right?

Let's leave highways unplowed because there's more cars that pound down the snow on them.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » January 15th, 2016, 4:57 pm

Come live in the Wedge where we have people who think that throwing down Ice Melt is the same thing as shoveling their walks. Then you can bitch while you twist your ankle on the frozen ice lumps that did not melt and are now froze down. So if you don't own a shovel and you don't shovel your own walk, get one and go shovel it yourself and be a great citizen. I shovel mine plus my elderly neighbors walk out of the goodness of my heart. Try it, might make you feel much better.

trigonalmayhem

Postby trigonalmayhem » January 15th, 2016, 5:06 pm

Come live in the Wedge where we have people who think that throwing down Ice Melt is the same thing as shoveling their walks. Then you can bitch while you twist your ankle on the frozen ice lumps that did not melt and are now froze down. So if you don't own a shovel and you don't shovel your own walk, get one and go shovel it yourself and be a great citizen. I shovel mine plus my elderly neighbors walk out of the goodness of my heart. Try it, might make you feel much better.
I don't see how whether or not I have to shovel has any bearing whatsoever on the park board's responsibility to shovel sidewalks around their parks in poorer neighborhoods. You're completely deflecting away from the actual issue to make some kind of a dig on me as being entitled or spoiled or something. Sorry I don't have the blue collar cred from shoveling a sidewalk myself, but that hardly means the park board gets a free pass on shoveling theirs. I'm not going to go buy a shovel and some bags of salt and haul them without a car a mile away to do the park board's job for them when I already help pay their budget.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » January 15th, 2016, 6:10 pm

Who said miles away. Do your own little neck of the wood and be that citizen that people thank. Try it!

minneboom
Nicollet Mall

Postby minneboom » January 15th, 2016, 7:06 pm

It is a shame this project is getting cut down. VJAA was working on the pavilions and it would have been an amazing way to highlight one of our best local architecture firms. Hopefully people realize that this is an important investment for our city and make additional contributions.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » January 15th, 2016, 7:16 pm

The pavillions can be put in at a later date. My thinking is there are groups that are not wanting to contribute if this is only going to be a Vikings Park, where the citizens get second dibs on use of the park. Wilfs wants those things he can pay for them. If the citizens really do get a chance to enjoy the park, then I think a few more groups would be more willing to open their wallets and help finish it out. Right now most of us look at this and say to ourselves, who is this park really for. Citizens or the Vikings? Once that question is truly answered we'll see what happens. The first year will be the defining moment for the park and it's perception for the citizen of MPLS. Viking take up all the choice dates, the the park will probably sit unfinished, or should I say basic,no frills for some time to come.
Last edited by Wedgeguy on January 15th, 2016, 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

helsinki
Landmark Center

Postby helsinki » January 15th, 2016, 7:17 pm

Honestly, I'm not sad to see the water feature go. Expensive to maintain, only seasonally in operation, unsightly when out of operation. There's a lingering cultural belief in water as expressive of luxury, and thereby denoting status (like the US lawn fetish), that is a bit silly.

I am sad to see the cafe get the axe. As the article notes, it would also be a revenue stream for park maintenance. Common sense would suggest that the city invite a private party to build and operate its own cafe/bar. Give it a liquor license and the tax receipts alone should cover a hefty chunk of annual park expenses. The bankers need to go somewhere for happy hour!

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » January 15th, 2016, 9:54 pm

Wasn't the water feature going to be a skating rink in the winter?

NEeaster
Metrodome

Postby NEeaster » January 15th, 2016, 10:13 pm

People love water - ponds, water fountains, etc. I think cutting any water feature now or in the future is a huge mistake. I realize the park is close to the riverfront - but it's still different.

NEeaster
Metrodome

Postby NEeaster » January 15th, 2016, 10:15 pm

Can someone explain to me again how this park is supposed to be funded? The Park Board pulled out so funds from surrounding developments can't go towards creation of the park, correct? I am actually still confused if that dedication fee even passed at all - I know Hennepin County was protesting such a fee.

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » January 18th, 2016, 12:15 pm

Can someone explain to me again how this park is supposed to be funded? The Park Board pulled out so funds from surrounding developments can't go towards creation of the park, correct? I am actually still confused if that dedication fee even passed at all - I know Hennepin County was protesting such a fee.
If anyone knows I would love some clarification as well. Also, can anyone confirm that Hennepin County was indeed protesting a park dedication fee? Also, also, why the F would Hennepin County protest such a fee?

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » January 19th, 2016, 11:04 am

What are the current plans for the half-block air rights above the DTE parking ramp (between Chicago, 4th St, and the LRT station)? I seem to be seeing two or more conflicting details on what this will be. Right now it's concrete pilings sticking out above the underground ramp.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » January 19th, 2016, 12:17 pm

As far as I know, nothing has been officially announced for this.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » January 19th, 2016, 1:14 pm

What are the current plans for the half-block air rights above the DTE parking ramp (between Chicago, 4th St, and the LRT station)? I seem to be seeing two or more conflicting details on what this will be. Right now it's concrete pilings sticking out above the underground ramp.
These pilings are new or just noticed. I'd think that they would have poured the footing for this section along with the ramps so that there would be some integrity and strength built into the foundation. No shifting at a later date because they were poured separately

NEeaster
Metrodome

Postby NEeaster » January 19th, 2016, 8:56 pm

I am so sick of this city and the developers in this town who present these big, grandiose plans that win the public's excitement and approval, to only have them fail to deliver. Sick, sick, sick.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » January 19th, 2016, 9:03 pm

Actually the only reason why they had to "drop" some things, is because they want to open this summer. Which means some of the pieces that were already planned for 2017, won't be built until 2017. That's what's happening if I understand correctly.

Dallas201
Block E

Postby Dallas201 » January 20th, 2016, 11:38 am

I thought it was just going to be an empty grass lot until after the super bowl anyways? Is the grass going to be phased in? I don't get it.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » February 5th, 2016, 12:39 pm

Vikings just tweeted and interesting photo...

"The Super Bowl LII Host Committee is out in California surveying the land this week."

https://twitter.com/Vikings/status/695668526254788608

They NEED to chip in more to make this a better park (even if it is not until after the Super Bowl).

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » February 5th, 2016, 2:18 pm

That photo has been around since their super bowl proposal.