Metrodome

Re: The Commons - Downtown East Park

Postby relux » April 26th, 2016, 9:05 am

Change does grow on trees!

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » May 4th, 2016, 11:22 am

They've been making progress on this every day! Its great to see!

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » May 4th, 2016, 11:47 am

I've been trying to figure out why they have been building what looks like foundation walls in the ground in several U shape formations on the north side of both blocks...then backfilling them so they are level. Wonder what their function is.

http://oxblue.com/open/ryanco/downtowneast

Carson Dyle
City Center

Postby Carson Dyle » May 6th, 2016, 10:12 pm

I'm sure these questions are answered somewhere within the 28 pages of this thread, but I can't find them easily:

What are the plans for the section of 5th street that they've closed off and are currently doing construction on? Will that be reopened?

Are they planning on tearing down the arches at the train station, or will they remain in place?

Are there any other plans to remodel the train station or the top of the underground parking garage in that same block, or will all of that remain a giant expanse of concrete?

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » May 7th, 2016, 11:53 am

I think the station and concrete ramp-slab stay the same, since they just built a multi-million dollar bridge-to-nowhere over and on it.

As for 5th, plans were to close it for event days.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » May 7th, 2016, 12:00 pm

http://www.startribune.com/minneapolis- ... 378490756/
The county road will be narrowed to two lanes and covered in red-tinted asphalt through the park. But there is no crosswalk mid-block, despite designs showing paths on either side. The absence of a crosswalk means pedestrians will have to detour to the corners to cross legally.

Under Minnesota law, pedestrians may not cross a roadway mid-block if they are between two intersections featuring traffic-control signals — unless they are using a painted crosswalk.
Zebra mark the whole damn thing.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Uptown46
Metrodome

Postby Uptown46 » May 7th, 2016, 12:08 pm

Actually 5th will be removed between Chicago and Park and integrated in to the transit station plaza along with the portion of the Medical Examiners parking lot that will be used for events. There appears to be some plans for the section of the plaza on the other side of the tracks where the bridge will land, but much of that area is listed as alternates, so we'll see how far the MSFA's money goes. The arches are staying.

Plans are here: http://www.msfa.com/content/RFP%20WEST% ... 0SET.1.pdf

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » May 9th, 2016, 7:05 am

I've been trying to figure out why they have been building what looks like foundation walls in the ground in several U shape formations on the north side of both blocks...then backfilling them so they are level. Wonder what their function is.

http://oxblue.com/open/ryanco/downtowneast
Do you mean within the park? They might be for the park pavilions/buildings that have been designed by VJAA to go in the park if I understand you correctly. I believe the budget issues are creating uncertainty as to whether or not those buildings will be built.

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » May 9th, 2016, 7:32 am

If i remember correct parts of the park were defered because of lack of funding. Have they established that funding. Is there any part of the park that is still deffered?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 9th, 2016, 8:27 am

Just think how much park funding could happen if we decided not to build expensive curb and gutter for this block of Portland that bisects the park.

Speaking of, has any of that street construction taken place yet?

billhelm
Nicollet Mall

Postby billhelm » May 9th, 2016, 8:49 am

they've already laid the curb for portland

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » May 9th, 2016, 8:51 am

There appears to be some plans for the section of the plaza on the other side of the tracks where the bridge will land, but much of that area is listed as alternates, so we'll see how far the MSFA's money goes.
This is strange, because I thought I read at one point that Alatus owned the air rights (or whatever) above that parking garage and had plans to develop it. Then I guess part of the stadium legislation shuffle it got transferred to the MSFA? Now pedestrian bridge takes a big chunk of out of it's footprint.

Btw, that bridge is huge. Way bigger than I expected.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 9th, 2016, 9:34 am

Yeah, the famed Downtown East Parking Ramp. Didn't the city take a bath on the sale of that, as well? Because the air rights were never actually used?

karlshea
Nicollet Mall

Postby karlshea » May 9th, 2016, 9:40 am

There appears to be some plans for the section of the plaza on the other side of the tracks where the bridge will land, but much of that area is listed as alternates, so we'll see how far the MSFA's money goes.
This is strange, because I thought I read at one point that Alatus owned the air rights (or whatever) above that parking garage and had plans to develop it. Then I guess part of the stadium legislation shuffle it got transferred to the MSFA? Now pedestrian bridge takes a big chunk of out of it's footprint.

Btw, that bridge is huge. Way bigger than I expected.
The air rights are not for the ramp under the light rail tracks, they are for the new MSFA ramp on the block directly north.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » May 9th, 2016, 10:00 am

You're confusing two different things.

Yes, Ryan Cos retains the air rights over the new DTE parking ramp.

What other posters are referring to is the underground garage beneath the tracks. That block was owned by Alatus until they were more or less forced to sell it to the MSFA. Alatus had purchased that underground garage (among others) with the intention of someday building something above it, on the diagonal half of the block not occupied by the tracks and stadium plaza. But now MSFA owns it and it is destined to become expanded plaza space. There isn't really any room left for above-ground development, with the expanded stadium plaza and the new pedestrian bridge takes up the rest of the formerly developable area.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » May 9th, 2016, 1:18 pm

I was walking around here on Sunday....wow is it and the surrounding area a dead zone, as is most of downtown. Obviously there is nothing here yet and it's all under construction... I hope it livens up a bit with the new residential and park. Gold Medal park was busy..but the two are pretty close. Interested to see how the area comes along.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » May 9th, 2016, 2:29 pm

I was walking around here on Sunday....wow is it and the surrounding area a dead zone, as is most of downtown. Obviously there is nothing here yet and it's all under construction... I hope it livens up a bit with the new residential and park. Gold Medal park was busy..but the two are pretty close. Interested to see how the area comes along.
Yes, I too always feel like this area lacks any sort of life. But I really think with all the newly built & proposed buildings this area will quickly transform, much like North Loop has.

bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Postby bapster2006 » May 20th, 2016, 7:27 pm

I took a walk around the area for the first time today since construction started wrapping up. Wow, this is an active area now, not only with construction, but people like me and workers.

ImageCommons Park Downtown East skyline Minneapolis 5-20-16 by Matt Bappe, on Flickr