Downtown Hotel News

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Re: TCF Bank Building Redevelopment

Postby HiawathaGuy » April 29th, 2015, 1:37 pm

Anecdotally, I was using Priceline a few weeks ago to try and find a hotel room downtown Minneapolis for a Saturday night in May. Nothing came up for under $200+ for a decent hotel room! So if hotels are lowering their prices to lure those elusive suburban hotel room seekers on the weekends... I'm not seeing that evidence.

twincitizen

Re: Downtown Hotel News

Postby twincitizen » April 29th, 2015, 2:16 pm

So with the grand opening of the Hampton Inn, it was noted that it was the first new hotel to open Downtown since 2007. I'm sure that took a few of us aback as it seems there are hotel proposals flying around left and right, from North Loop to Downtown East. It sounds like the AC Hotel on Hennepin is about to get started as well.

Some proposals have fizzled (Conrad Hotel @ Plymouth Building, Nate's Clothing Building) and others have sprung up unexpectedly (the smallish Holiday Inn Express).

Beyond AC Hotel and the Holiday Inn Express, what else is still floating around out there and might get built? Let's please just forget about the Convention Center Hotel for now, as it really only exists in the realm of rumor/fantasy at this point.

AC Hotel - New Construction
Holiday Inn Express - Conversion
Radisson Red DTE - New Construction
North Loop "Jackson/IPR Building" Hotel - Conversion
Thresher Square Hotel - Conversion
Embassy Suites (Plymouth Building) - Conversion
Canopy by Hilton (Nicollet Gateway) - New Construction
800 Washington site hotel - New Construction

Rumored Hotel (behind Latitude 45) - New Construction

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » April 29th, 2015, 2:21 pm

Don't forget the large Hilton Canopy in the Nicollet Hotel Block proposal.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » April 29th, 2015, 2:39 pm

The only other that I can think of are the additional rooms at the depot, and the rumored hotel that would go on the empty lot where the Press Box now is behind the Latitudes at 3rd Ave and 4th St. That last one is just that, speculation at this point.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » April 29th, 2015, 2:40 pm

Wait hold on. What rumored hotel?

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » April 29th, 2015, 2:53 pm

Wait hold on. What rumored hotel?
Go to 1st page of Latitude 45 for more fun reading! There was talk by Alatus that they were looking at the open space where the Press Box restaurant now sits as a possible place for a hotel once they got Latitude 45 finished. But again that was talk at least a year ago and before some of these other more concrete proposals have been locked in.

I will have to remember that Canopy Hotel is in the works too. We have kind of dropped the Nicollet block off the radar lately and I forgot that there was a hotel as part of that project.

Do we have a confirmed location for the Rad Red? Is it going for sure behind one of the Wells twins?

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » May 15th, 2015, 9:14 pm

Apparently CSM Corp. is filling an appeal against the decision of approval of adding an additional story to the Depot Renaissance hotel. They are only appealing condition #3 which stated:
The site plan shall be modified to reflect the following modifications along 5th Ave S: reduce the northerly curb cut width from 19 ft to 16 ft; reduce the southerly curb cut width from 45 ft to 20 ft all while elevating the public sidewalk in this location so that it ties in with the continuous grade along the st.
CSM really wants to have a 35 ft curb cut though. That's the meat of the appeal

http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/groups ... 140919.pdf

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » May 15th, 2015, 10:33 pm

If you read their explanation, it seems like a pretty reasonable request, especially considering that this (and the little porte cochere off of 3rd) is their only access point for what's effectively a two-block site.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » June 1st, 2015, 7:07 pm

Holiday Inn construction I think is happening? Or happening soon? The first floor is very empty.

ImageHoliday Inn! by grant.simons, on Flickr
ImageHoliday Inn! by grant.simons, on Flickr

Silophant

Postby Silophant » June 1st, 2015, 8:04 pm

I saw some construction workers in there last week. Something's happening.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Postby bapster2006 » June 3rd, 2015, 2:34 pm

Just for fun, I asked the Four Seasons if there are plans for a Minneapolis hotel. They said no.

Chauncey87
Nicollet Mall

Postby Chauncey87 » June 3rd, 2015, 3:10 pm

Hotels tend to be pretty guarded. I am not sure what credentials you showed when you asked about the Four Seasons expansion plans. Whatever the case maybe if I as an employee was asked about future hotels in any city my default answer would always be no.

bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Postby bapster2006 » June 3rd, 2015, 5:31 pm

I asked them as a regular citizen who had enjoyed their hotel in Houston through work. Just taking a chance that maybe they would say they were currently exploring the market. It's fun to ask.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » June 4th, 2015, 7:15 am

They probably just literally aren't interested in the Minneapolis marketplace right now, and who can blame them -- it's hotel after hotel project popping up right now and anyone who hasn't bought in yet is probably too late. Plus, if this convention center hotel concept is for real(sies) then there's another 1,000+ rooms that is hovering over the marketplace waiting for a spot to land. If they aren't part of the convention center hotel or anything included in some of the mixed-use projects like United Properties' Nicollet Hotel Block, then I can understand their "no" answer.

nickmgray
Union Depot

Re: TCF Bank Building Redevelopment

Postby nickmgray » June 8th, 2015, 2:52 pm

Anecdotally, I was using Priceline a few weeks ago to try and find a hotel room downtown Minneapolis for a Saturday night in May. Nothing came up for under $200+ for a decent hotel room! So if hotels are lowering their prices to lure those elusive suburban hotel room seekers on the weekends... I'm not seeing that evidence.
Keep in mind that the nice hotels get booked up in the summer for wedding groups. The smaller luxury hotels are typically the first to fill up with 3-5 wedding blocks which snatch up 10-20 rooms each. After that, the price on the remaining rooms goes up substantially.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » June 12th, 2015, 10:38 am

Hotel roundup from TC Business Mag: http://tcbmag.com/News/Recent-News/2015 ... uilding-Bo

Missing a few (in bold):
AC Hotel - New Construction
Holiday Inn Express - Conversion
Radisson Red DTE - New Construction
North Loop "Jackson/IPR Building" Hotel - Conversion
Thresher Square Hotel - Conversion
Embassy Suites (Plymouth Building) - Conversion
Canopy by Hilton (Nicollet Gateway) - New Construction
800 Washington site hotel - New Construction

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » June 12th, 2015, 11:44 am

They did not do their homework very well. All 3 of the bold type have been on the table much longer than the Radisson Red, Embassy Suites, and the 800 Washington. They need to look at this site for future references on what is going on in the city here.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » June 12th, 2015, 12:08 pm

At least one of those is still kind of pie-in-the-sky material, isn't it? The Gateway project was announced, but there's not even finals plan for it yet, no? Didn't they just say, "Hey, this is going to happen!"

It's more of a "here's a sampling of a list" rather than "this is definitive."

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » June 12th, 2015, 12:31 pm

I was going to note that as well...you have to assume the Gateway project is years away and still very much in flux. Literally anything could happen, up to and including the entire deal falling apart.

Leaving off the 300 N Washington one is a little more suspect, as that is already approved (and seemingly sort of still in question as to whether it is actually still happening)

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » June 12th, 2015, 12:57 pm

I was going to note that as well...you have to assume the Gateway project is years away and still very much in flux. Literally anything could happen, up to and including the entire deal falling apart.

Leaving off the 300 N Washington one is a little more suspect, as that is already approved (and seemingly sort of still in question as to whether it is actually still happening)
Thought someone on here said that they saw prep work being done for this project. I could be wrong. But I think it is a go myself with all of the money that has been put into designs already.