Downtown Hotel News

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Silophant

Re: Downtown Hotel News

Postby Silophant » June 27th, 2015, 1:33 pm

W Minneapolis at the Foshay and Le Meridian Chambers hotels sold for combined $101 million.

$101MM seems kinda low for the Foshay tower, even if it didn't include the other building, but what do I know.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » June 27th, 2015, 1:48 pm

My understanding is the new owners are assuming a $56M remaining mortgage on the building. If that is the case then it would be a $157 million sale which would make more sense. Most likely the current mortgage has a really great interest rate and would be better to assume that than to pay what is probably a higher going interest rate right now on a larger purchase price.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » August 11th, 2015, 12:09 pm

Walking this morning I noticed that they are replacing the windows in the Hyatt Place in Center Village. Why that was not done when they remodeled in the first place, I'm not sure. Maybe they found out too late that the old windows were not very efficient.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 22nd, 2015, 8:11 pm

They have torn down the pool area at the Marriott Depot. Also saw 2 lift buckets up around the roof level of the Renaissance section, that they are supposed to be adding a floor onto. Again, why is this work being done when winter is right around the corner.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » September 22nd, 2015, 8:14 pm

The majority of 4marq was literally built in the winter. People can work in the winter.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » September 22nd, 2015, 8:48 pm

Indeed, as far as I'm concerned, winter is a better season for construction than summer!
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » September 23rd, 2015, 7:15 am

The majority of 4marq was literally built in the winter. People can work in the winter.
clearly we all know things can and do get built in winter, but it's best for projects to get certain things done above freezing temperatures. Cost for example increases 10 to 20 percent on just a single family home built in the winter, imagine what that's like for a 75 million dollar building. That extra $10 or so million could kill some projects. Now we're experienced with it here so that rarely happens with planning, but it still compromises materials and sucks for construction workers.

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » September 23rd, 2015, 8:11 am

sucks for construction workers.
Really? The construction workers I know like having more winter projects. It means more work year round for more people. Roofing companies lay off in the winter since there isn't enough work. There is less for laborers as well. Indoor workers (finish carpenters, etc.) have winter work, but then this project wouldn't bother them since they would be working inside anyway. I'd take winter employment over having to supplement with another job.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » September 23rd, 2015, 8:47 am

It sucks to be physically outside. Not to have a job. Most people don't volunteer to do their job outside in the winter unless it's required.

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » September 23rd, 2015, 10:13 am

It sucks to be physically outside. Not to have a job. Most people don't volunteer to do their job outside in the winter unless it's required.
Well I never said they volunteered. But between the options of either A) all the jobs in the summer, easy to be outside and unemployed in the winter or B) employed year round and having to work outside most people I know choose B. So I guess I was just saying that I disagree with the assertion that "it's best for projects" to get done in the summer because it sucks for workers. Yes it sucks, but the alternative is worse.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 23rd, 2015, 10:37 am

The other downside to winter work is that the finished product tends to suffer. Workers are trying to do fussy work wearing heavy gloves. They're in a hurry to finish up so they can warm up. Adhesives aren't sticking as well as they would in warmer weather; materials are more brittle, etc.

This isn't such an issue when you're putting together the big structural elements, but exterior finishing work in the winter is a bad idea.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 23rd, 2015, 11:43 am

As I don't have plans on how they are adding a floor. If they are not taking the old roof off then they might not have as many issues with snow and moisture piling on during a blizzard and causing a ceiling collapse. There are some HVAC units that will have to get moved to add a floor. If they don't interfere with the heating of the building they maybe safe again. They have 2 months basically to get the addition at ground level build so that they will have that hopefully enclosed before the worst of the weather. I don't know the phasing of this project if the added floor will be this winter or next spring. But the gaping hole where the pool area was and the end of the building that is missing an exterior cover will need to be dealt with soon.

I'm sure part of why this was not done in the summer was they did not want to have a disruption of hotel guests during peak tourist season.

Jryan
Block E

Postby Jryan » September 23rd, 2015, 3:15 pm

Hi all. I am a former employee of this property. I can tell you that the timing of this project was done in a way to keep the disturbance of our guests to a minimum. As Wedgeguy stated above, it also is peak season for the property because of a large amount of group and transient business. Some of the events include room nights, which we can not go against contract. When heavy construction begins on the 5th floor the whole floor (nearly 50rooms in a 225 room property). I will mention that I was there when the work began and the noise has been incredibly loud and distracting. So much planning and consideration is going into the project because of all of theses moving pieces.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » June 7th, 2016, 2:17 pm

A rooftop pool above Manny’s Steakhouse? New hotel owner's considering it
http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... house.html
*LOCKED*

Gist:
The new owner of the W Minneapolis-The Foshay is considering building a rooftop pool above Manny’s Steakhouse.
“W Minneapolis currently does not have a pool. Several newly constructed projects include an outdoor pool,” the company wrote in a section of the presentation covering revenue opportunities. “During the conversion to a hotel, the roof above Manny’s was reinforced to support a rooftop venue. Engineering studies at the time validated this.”

Other discussions around revenue opportunities include converting the 30th floor museum space into an event space.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » June 7th, 2016, 2:50 pm

Uhhh could they not? One of the very very few open air observation decks left in the the US.

grrdanko
Landmark Center

Postby grrdanko » June 7th, 2016, 6:48 pm

Uhhh could they not? One of the very very few open air observation decks left in the the US.
It's not on top of the tower. A pool wouldn't fit up there anyway.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » June 7th, 2016, 7:22 pm

If the museum converted into an event space, the deck would more than likely close to the public.

matthew5080
Rice Park

Postby matthew5080 » June 7th, 2016, 7:32 pm

Losing the museum would be awful. The views from there are spectacular. However, I do agree that the W would do better with a pool of some sort to remain competitive with upcoming projects in the downtown area.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » October 31st, 2016, 7:31 am

Did we have this?
"At tail end of boom, hotelier jumps in with 'dream' project"
http://www.startribune.com/at-tail-end- ... 399117871/

Also, what happened to the project that was planned for the Pressbox/parking lots next door to the east? https://goo.gl/maps/QWdHQFV6SbA2 Sure would be nice to see this stretch of 4th St turn into a walkable gem a la 2nd St.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » October 31st, 2016, 8:01 am

Wrong block. This is the little building wedged between the Hotel Minneapolis and the CenturyLink ramp. We talked about it a bit in 2014. Glad to hear it's moving forward!
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]