City Club Apartments - 1000 Marquette Ave (Handicraft Building)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
nickmgray
Union Depot

Re: 10th & Marquette Development

Postby nickmgray » February 20th, 2015, 8:40 am

The only issue I have whit this development is the townhomes. The images I saw at first got me excited because it looked like it was going to be retail lining the street, but that's not the case. Yes, the checked pattern certainly isn't for everyone, but I'm willing to give that a pass if the developer can find a way to keep the retail on the street front.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » February 20th, 2015, 8:53 am

I still feel that its meaningful that the plans submitted to the website have floorplans and even furniture layouts for the apartments on levels 2-18, but just empty boxes for the townhomes. Maybe its a bargaining chip, and they'll change them to small retail in exchange for getting all their requested variances.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 20th, 2015, 8:54 am

Any chance that the Marquette-facing units could be live-work type units? Something with storefront potential? That's also my main/only critique. I could care less about the architecture, as could the Planning Commission.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » February 20th, 2015, 9:24 am

I'm normally not one to grip about tearing down old building, but this seems like such a waste, since it's removing two floors of retail tenants on a transit-oriented street and replacing it with walk-up units that are likely to house one person or maybe two. What's left of the former retail becomes mostly amenity space. Sounds like a great way to take away liveliness on the street. I wish there was a way to preserve the current buildings as a podium of sorts.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » February 20th, 2015, 9:29 am

This is what "June" sent me in October:
I do have some work to do with a possible redevelopment or new development on the Handicraft Guild building corner. Pratt Ordway & Village Green (Soo Line redevelopers) have a joint development agreement for that site. I'm trying to convince them to renovate the corner & for them to build a tall slender 33-story 100/120-unit 100-110K residential tower on the 1016 Marquette site. Minneapolis does need to keep some architecture from the past where possible. Those buildings are in in good shape & worth renovating rather than build some 10-story apartment building there with the same number of units.
What.... The....

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » February 20th, 2015, 9:35 am

This is what "June" sent me in October:
I do have some work to do with a possible redevelopment or new development on the Handicraft Guild building corner. Pratt Ordway & Village Green (Soo Line redevelopers) have a joint development agreement for that site. I'm trying to convince them to renovate the corner & for them to build a tall veiny 33-story 100/120-unit 100-110K residential tower on the 1016 Marquette site. Minneapolis does need to keep some architecture from the past where possible. Those buildings are in in good shape & worth renovating rather than build some 10-story apartment building there with the same number of units.
What.... The....
http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/p ... l?page=all

Been public for some time.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » February 20th, 2015, 9:45 am

I think that it's always been clear that RickJune has access to some inside information -- that has never been in doubt to me. But I hear about different projects percolating all of the time, and I'm nothing special. Just because the rumors that he heard turn out to occasionally have some basis in fact does not mean that he's a major power-broker who can change the design of a project with a single well-placed phone call.

sushisimo
Landmark Center

Postby sushisimo » February 20th, 2015, 10:48 am

.Let's compile a list of realistic ways to make this development better, in a way that city staff, the Planning Commission, and elected officials can use that information to influence a better project outcome.
1. Fire the architects.
I actually like the tower, but I'm a sucker for that stark, graphic, mid-century kind of thing (I love white in any design form). I'm also a fan of old/new juxtaposition, with the different materials and architecture styles, a la The Ivy nearby (although, there's something off with that one). The reason I'm gobsmacked is the loss of this cool, eclectic retail corner. Sure, the buildings/facades will remain, but I'm talking about keeping the current functions and tenants. There's nothing else like it downtown. On a side note, I'd like to see this tower become the Eclipse. I think it would fit in up there. /dreamworld

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » February 20th, 2015, 11:04 am

I think that it's always been clear that RickJune has access to some inside information -- that has never been in doubt to me. But I hear about different projects percolating all of the time, and I'm nothing special. Just because the rumors that he heard turn out to occasionally have some basis in fact does not mean that he's a major power-broker who can change the design of a project with a single well-placed phone call.
Don't sell yourself short, we think you're all kinds of special :D
On a serious note, isn't this about the 4th or 5th proposal for this property in the last 10 years? I know there was one office proposal that was then turned to condos that never got off the ground. There was the odd condo proposal that was essentially one condo per floor, but they were super expensive. This is the best of the ones that I've seen so far, but that's not saying much. I know it's a narrow plot, but it still seems too small for the site. I don't necessarily want height for heights sake, but it would be nice to see something at least as tall as the Hilton or Symphony Place. That arial rendering makes it look tiny.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » February 20th, 2015, 11:15 am

That's the flipside of not having a parking podium, I suppose. A standard 300-unit project winds up being 5-7 stories shorter.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

TTT
Metrodome

Postby TTT » February 20th, 2015, 11:34 am

This building looks to be iconic.

mog
Block E

Postby mog » February 20th, 2015, 12:08 pm

.Let's compile a list of realistic ways to make this development better, in a way that city staff, the Planning Commission, and elected officials can use that information to influence a better project outcome.
1. Fire the architects.
I actually like the tower, but I'm a sucker for that stark, graphic, mid-century kind of thing (I love white in any design form). I'm also a fan of old/new juxtaposition, with the different materials and architecture styles, a la The Ivy nearby (although, there's something off with that one). The reason I'm gobsmacked is the loss of this cool, eclectic retail corner. Sure, the buildings/facades will remain, but I'm talking about keeping the current functions and tenants. There's nothing else like it downtown. On a side note, I'd like to see this tower become the Eclipse. I think it would fit in up there. /dreamworld
I am glad I am not the only one that particularly loves this block. I walk by it all the time and wish we had more blocks like this. :(

helsinki
Landmark Center

Postby helsinki » February 20th, 2015, 1:18 pm

Bitter and ironic to tear down a historic structure when there's a parking lot across the street and an ugly parking ramp kitty corner. I'm sure demolishing 1004 Marquette will add to the charm.

Also a bit arbitrary and irrational to say the building isn't historic just because the Arts and Crafts Guild didn't operate there. What kind of logic is that?

Silophant

Postby Silophant » February 21st, 2015, 11:20 am

Strib article on the lack of parking.

Because I hate myself, I read through the comments. It's exclusively people pointing out that no parking spots wouldn't work for their suburban 2-car lifestyle, so no one will live here. And then, of course, blaming the city for Village Green's decision.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » February 21st, 2015, 6:40 pm

Instead of poo-poo-ing the whole development (which rarely works, I'll point out), I'm curious what realistic suggestions folks have to make this development better. Not so much in terms of design aesthetics of the upper floors, as that's clearly subjective, but in terms of treatment of the Handicraft building and the one next to it. What could be done differently to improve what's being proposed for the ground level, both new and old?

I'm seriously asking.

Let's compile a list of realistic ways to make this development better, in a way that city staff, the Planning Commission, and elected officials can use that information to influence a better project outcome.

Why does it need to be improved? Like I posted about over on SSC, this project should be a nice affordable housing options for people wanting to live downtown and don't need a car. Assuming the rendering is still very early and minor changers make the building look less checkered board that alone would be a big improvement. The street level have a nice red brick look even if it will not be actual brick it looks decent enough and has a nice design and windows that would look wonderful with street level retail. Lack of parking spaces would be great to see so cost of units can be based on the unit not unit+car space. Several parking ramps near by allow residents to have a parking space if needed. I think it's exciting to see what I think may be one of the first residential towers downtown that will discourage car usage more than it encourages it. While it's not located on the skyway the hotel next door provides a quick access point into the skyway to benefit residents too.

I would be interested to see what the intended price points are for this development before I make a final judgement call. Perhaps people have grown accustom to the luxury buildings that anything less is just "garbage". :roll: I don't have confidence this project would be allowed to be built with only 12 parking spaces, although if by some surprise this project does get approved it would be nice to see a urban focused project being built downtown! Why has nobody even discussed that possibility yet? Is it not exciting to see developer pushing for a building without car parking? It would be nice to see more pressure to decrease parking requirements to encourage more urban (car free) designs.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » February 21st, 2015, 7:14 pm

There's no parking minimum downtown anymore. The city has no more justification to deny approval based on lack of parking than it would to deny the hotel by the Lumber Exchange for being too short. I totally agree with your surprise that there hasn't been any discussion of what a game changer this is to have a new development be proposed without parking.

However, most of the complaints, on here at least, are because this building would remove the last affordable streetfront retail in downtown, in maybe historic buildings no less, and replace it with tiny studio units. I'm not too concerned about the loss of the actual buildings, but would like to see retail along Marquette instead of residential.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

helsinki
Landmark Center

Postby helsinki » February 21st, 2015, 8:14 pm

Two realistic ways to improve this project come to mind:

1. Keep retail on Marquette. The blinds to those living rooms are always going to be shut tight; it'll be an uninviting scene.

2. Retain the Facade. Instead of demolishing ALL of 1004 Marquette, at least retain the original facade instead of replicating a faux historic facade. Design the floor plan to retain use of all existing doors and windows.

nBode
Union Depot

Postby nBode » February 21st, 2015, 8:30 pm

If helsinki's suggestions were incorporated, I would be happy. I might also add that they add a small (3-5) foot setback between the old facade and the tower. I don't see why resident amenities couldn't be on the 2nd & 3rd level. There could be a small patio on the 3rd floor roof of the old buildings. Other than that, I'm fine with it. I wouldn't complain if it were taller, of course.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » February 21st, 2015, 8:37 pm

That's why I'd be happy too. I talked to some of the business owners who had to find out this threw the news and they were pissed.

trigonalmayhem

Postby trigonalmayhem » February 23rd, 2015, 10:33 am

There's a lot of opposition brewing to this because there's a gallery in part of the retail space that's going to get the boot. They have parties in their basement and probably won't be able to find another location like that nearby, so all the people who enjoy going there are going to put up a fight.

Personally I like the design and that it's being proposed with so few parking spots, but I get the feeling it's not going to have an easy road to approval and there will be a lot of fuss about historic designation for single story brick retail buildings just like in dinkytown.