New House of Charity Building (7th & Park Ave S.)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Re: New House of Charity Building (7th & Park Ave S.)

Postby Wedgeguy » April 30th, 2015, 10:23 am

First question I have is, are they tearing down the 2 buildings that are surrounding the Lehman's Garage or repurposing them? From Adam Voge's post I'd say that they are tearing down and rebuilding office and support space for their clients. I do not believe from what I've read that there is any housing component to this particular project. But it would still work well for one or two residential buildings to be built along Portland. Depending if you want a full block long wall of two separate buildings. I think it would be great space for working class housing there. There has to be some of the hospital support staff that does not make a ton of money that would like to live closer to where they work. I can't see market rate housing going up that close to the hospital with ambulances and helicopter going 24/7. Just my point of view.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » April 30th, 2015, 10:27 am

I could see something like the 10th and Marquette handicraft proposal doing well here along Portland. Market rate could work if the units were small enough.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » April 30th, 2015, 10:29 am

The Food Center is moving to 7th St. near Portland. So this scene will move to Portland and 7th if this gets done to their plan.

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.972332, ... 901T000000

Seems like a bad idea for the Portland residential corridor.
I know, if we could only just get rid of those poor, hungry people! They seem to always drag things down.
:roll:

reeckman
Metrodome

Postby reeckman » April 30th, 2015, 10:31 am

I met with Elliot Park Neighborhood staff and was told yes these will be torn down and building 5 story, 65 apartments for homeless, with Food Center relocating to 7th St at current F&C entrance. Not saying get rid of anyone, just keep the current Food Center location where it is, not as visible. Design preference.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » April 30th, 2015, 10:35 am

With it being an L shaped build you are only surmising that they will move their Food Center entrance to 7th. They could still keep their Food Center on Park and have the administrative wing in the area where the now vacated F&C printing plant now stands. Have you seen actual plans??

Just saw your new post. I agree that having the entrance and crowds on busy 7th is not exactly the safest place for the entrance. Especially if they have that kind of crowds when it is open. Park would be a better location for the Food Center entrance. Also the apartments seem to be a new twist that I was not aware of from earlier posts.

reeckman
Metrodome

Postby reeckman » April 30th, 2015, 10:41 am

I met with Lynn Regnier and have been assured further by Lisa Goodman, as currently presented by House of Charity, the Food Center entrance is moving to 7th.

reeckman
Metrodome

Postby reeckman » April 30th, 2015, 10:44 am

I feel like community input is needed on this, but not sure who else to talk to.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » April 30th, 2015, 10:50 am

I met with Lynn Regnier and have been assured further by Lisa Goodman, as currently presented by House of Charity, the Food Center entrance is moving to 7th.
I guess that both 7th and Park are busy one ways, so in the end it is a wash.

Could be that they want to move the entrance as far away from 8th street and the future residential component that they are hoping to create along 8th street. At least from the city's point of view and maybe Elliot Parks too. One of those where we don't have enough information.
With the entrance on 7th, they would be facing a parking ramp and the back side of any potential residential along Portland. Once the parking lots get built over there will be less places to park and hang once the empty lots are gone. But that could take a few years.

reeckman
Metrodome

Postby reeckman » April 30th, 2015, 11:11 am

Planning wise it makes more sense to keep the food center next to HCMC because it blends better as a use. The 65 unit residential entrance on 7th would be near existing and future residential (and much better than fronting HCMC). That ramp isn't so imposing right there, still a decent view toward the Commons and downtown. Residential can still be built on 8th and Park fronting 8th anyway. But, I asked and I assure you nothing is currently pitched to be built there.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » April 30th, 2015, 11:20 am

Will be at least 5-10 years before there is anything built on those empty lots I'm afraid. But the NL and Mill District have proven me wrong on the speed of developments that can happen.

reeckman
Metrodome

Postby reeckman » April 30th, 2015, 11:26 am

Perhaps, yes. Especially if the food center is not designed to keep crowds out of the middle of this hopeful Portland neighborhood corridor. Crowds now are relatively unnoticeable from Portland.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » April 30th, 2015, 11:41 am

That should be one of the thing that is a must for this building, flow of people in and out of the building. I have never been in the old building so I have no idea how well it is laid out for efficient access and services. That will be up to the House of Charity and their architects to get planned out. Hopefully the city will press to get the best design for that too.

Efficient design would be a win/win for everyone involved.

reeckman
Metrodome

Postby reeckman » April 30th, 2015, 11:51 am

Good point, but even if there is a waiting area inside the size of the new stadium, folks will and should have the right to come early, stay late, smoke, visit etc. outside. That's fine, and I really think the Park location works and will lend itself better in the long run. By the city do you mean city planning staff?

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » April 30th, 2015, 12:03 pm

Good point, but even if there is a waiting area inside the size of the new stadium, folks will and should have the right to come early, stay late, smoke, visit etc. outside. That's fine, and I really think the Park location works and will lend itself better in the long run. By the city do you mean city planning staff?
I guess that city planners and that staff would know how they hope development happens in the next 5,10, or 20 years.

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Postby mplser » October 29th, 2015, 10:47 am

looks like this is getting some money from the city http://www.startribune.com/mpls-ids-11- ... 338032411/

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » December 5th, 2017, 11:19 am

COUNCIL AWARDS FUNDS FOR AFFORDABLE HOUSING

Park 7, Minneapolis - $400,000 to help provide affordable housing units in downtown Minneapolis next to the Housing of Charity Food Center and Hennepin County Medical Center. The development includes 31 permanent supportive housing units for long-term homeless people, 10 of which are reserved for youth ages 18 to 25.

martykoessel
Landmark Center

Postby martykoessel » July 23rd, 2019, 12:07 pm

A crew is working on the Finance & Commerce Building today. It looks as though improvements are being made rather than preparations for demolition. Is this structure going to be incorporated into the low-income housing, or is something entirely different going on?

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » July 23rd, 2019, 3:45 pm

The city's site shows an open commercial building permit but no recent demo permits.
http://apps.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/PIApp/ ... 2924230105

Yet here:
http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/groups ... 212397.pdf
The existing one-story structure will be demolished and replaced with a new 37,445
square-foot four-story residential development with 61 studio apartments. The first floor will consist of
management offices, a bike storage room, a community room and dwelling units. The upper levels of the
building will contain dwelling units. Outside, there will be a patio area and a dog run.