Solhavn - (815 2nd Street North)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
swmpls
City Center

Solhavn - (815 2nd Street North)

Postby swmpls » August 28th, 2012, 1:55 pm

The Sol... people are planning another building in the North Loop. Looks slightly better than Soltva with the cornice, but is pretty much the same.

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/b ... ments.html

nasa35

Re: 815 2nd Street Apartments

Postby nasa35 » August 28th, 2012, 2:40 pm

We're starting to look like north Korea! Nice!

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » August 28th, 2012, 2:47 pm

At least North Korea uses concrete. We use sticks :)

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » August 28th, 2012, 2:57 pm

Looks fine to me...better yet, it is filling a parking lot! Super.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » August 28th, 2012, 3:01 pm

Looks fine to me...better yet, it is filling a parking lot! Super.
Yep. Seriously people, look at where this is located. WTF are you expecting?
Towns!

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » August 28th, 2012, 3:02 pm

Across from a newspaper plant, next to a power sub station, and about 2 blocks from an industrial wasteland! ha!

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » August 28th, 2012, 3:56 pm

Looks ok-ish. I would hope they collaborate with neighboring properties to make a pedestrian corridor to connect the two stubs of 8th Avenue N. across that long-long-long block. Ideally there would be a street, but that won't happen.

Also, when looking in Google Maps with terrain on, it appears that there is a wormhole or a rather tall peak across the street. Any ideas what is inside that Strib building? Ha-

Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » August 28th, 2012, 4:21 pm

It's a ridiculous idea to make a carbon copy of Soltva ( which actually doesn't look too bad IMO, but please.... one is enough)! It's sheer laziness, greed, and audacity on the part of the developer not to come up with something a little different. The neighborhood and Planning Commision should be sharply critical of this project. The North Loop deserves better.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 28th, 2012, 4:51 pm

I love the North Korea comparisons... again.

Two of the best, time tested, and beautiful (high density) neighborhoods in Minneapolis are Loring Park and Stevens. BOTH are comprised of buildings built all during the same 20-30 year period, nearly identical heights, and nearly identical architectural cues. I have no problem with some repetition. They aren't even immediate neighbors. North Loop already has historical buildings along with the new condo/apartment buildings. It has great variation.

COULD it be better? yeah... but does it have to be the best most unique building in order to be good development? No. Just look at our historic neighborhoods.

I love the idea of a pedestrian/bike connector between the 8ths... that would make it seem a little more of a neighborhood scale.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » August 28th, 2012, 4:52 pm

Hey, I mean if this were North Korea, I wouldn't have to worry about the $2,100 medical bill I got today. Hey-oh!
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » August 28th, 2012, 5:07 pm

Another summary update: with this new building, there would be UP TO 1,700 units proposed/approved or under construction in the North Loop neighborhood as we speak. If you assumed 2 people per unit (which is high, but fair), we'd be talking about adding nearly 3,500 people to this small sub-area of downtown.........in the CURRENT pipeline. I'm personally very impressed with this!!

dumberGuy

Postby dumberGuy » August 28th, 2012, 5:36 pm

north loop isn't "downtown". at best, it's the outer mongolia of downtown. and the more northerly one pushes "North Loop", the less downtown it is.

815 2nd street isn't a "downtown" development. This development does nothing, either to enhance or degrade, downtown.

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » August 28th, 2012, 6:10 pm

I'm curious to see how much of the parking lot they're buying. The parcel itself is 3.38 acres, but that includes the fueling station. Soltva was 100 units on 1.04 acres, so to build 138 units at the same density, they'll need about 1.5 acres. Of course, they may not be building at the same unit density, and my measurement of the parking lot space on the Strib parcel is about 2.5 acres.

Hopefully the building will be immediately southeast of the fueling station to allow for space to connect 8th Ave N as called for in the North Loop Small Area Plan, but I'm not holding my breath. Assuming the sliver of a structure you see on the left side of the rendering is the Precision Associates building (now called something much lamer), this proposal will indeed cut off any potential 8th Ave N connection. Along with UTEC, it seems we are becoming (or making permanent) the City of Superblocks.

On the other hand, it kinda looks like they're planning a shitty little narrow sidewalk into the interior of the block, so maybe there will be a bizarre zigzag walkway that no one will think is open to the public, just like the rest of the North Loop has.
"Who rescued whom!"

Minneapolisite

Postby Minneapolisite » August 28th, 2012, 6:22 pm

Could've fooled me: I'd say it's more well-connected to Downtown than the Mill District, both of which I consider Downtown. I think you'd have a hard time telling people who go up one block from Washington to Origami or Jetset or Moose & Sadie's that all of a sudden they're not downtown anymore. 3,500 residents or over 10% of the current downtown population in just North Loop will certainly benefit businesses in the immediate area the most, but there will no doubt be a spill over effect into the rest of the neighborhood and Hennepin and Nicollet near the eastern end and like me I'm sure some will bring their bikes and their impact will branch out further within Downtown a good deal since they won't be worrying about paying for parking.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » August 28th, 2012, 6:37 pm

I love the North Korea comparisons... again.

Two of the best, time tested, and beautiful (high density) neighborhoods in Minneapolis are Loring Park and Stevens. BOTH are comprised of buildings built all during the same 20-30 year period, nearly identical heights, and nearly identical architectural cues. I have no problem with some repetition. They aren't even immediate neighbors. North Loop already has historical buildings along with the new condo/apartment buildings. It has great variation.

COULD it be better? yeah... but does it have to be the best most unique building in order to be good development? No. Just look at our historic neighborhoods.

I love the idea of a pedestrian/bike connector between the 8ths... that would make it seem a little more of a neighborhood scale.
Actually , this project has a contemporary Scandinavian style to its design. I have no problem with Soltva and I think its okay. And if they were next to each other, I could see maybe having a mirror copy to create a symmetrical balance. But to exactly copy it (except for the roof line) and plop it down in another location nearby is kind of goofy. At least they could change the coloration, materials, and massing slightly for some variation. That was done in the apartment buildings you are referring to in Loring.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » August 28th, 2012, 10:53 pm

I think the 'not downtown' comment was a thinly disguised attempt at satire in relation to the definitions of Uptown in other threads.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » August 28th, 2012, 10:56 pm

Are you kidding? Downtown's revitalized, honey.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » August 29th, 2012, 7:21 am

north loop isn't "downtown". at best, it's the outer mongolia of downtown. and the more northerly one pushes "North Loop", the less downtown it is.

815 2nd street isn't a "downtown" development. This development does nothing, either to enhance or degrade, downtown.
As someone else mentioned, maybe you're joking, but for all intents and purposes, this should be considered "downtown".....at least "North Loop" should (unsure if this is IN North Loop).

SixOneTwo
Nicollet Mall

Postby SixOneTwo » August 29th, 2012, 8:03 am

Geographically, the WDNLA shall be defined as the area bounded by the Mississippi River on the Northeast, to Hennepin Avenue on the Southeast, to Washington Avenue briefly on the Southeast, to 3rd Avenue North on the Southeast, Glenwood Avenue on the South, to Lyndale Avenue on the West and Plymouth Avenue on the North ending back at the River.

http://www.northloop.org/North_Loop_Nei ... rhood.html

Konante
Nicollet Mall

Postby Konante » August 29th, 2012, 8:29 am

I appreciate the escalating cornice feature--little details like that make a big difference to me--but I genuinely hope this project does not happen. Infill is needed much more in other areas of the NL and 99% of this proposal is comprised of the same crap we see suggested every day. At least that "crap" is proposed for areas that, IMO, would benefit the city much more.