The Dayton's Project

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Didier
Capella Tower

Re: The Dayton's Project

Postby Didier » September 7th, 2021, 9:03 am

I think people we might be overestimating the number of families with children who want to live in an apartment on Nicollet Mall.

grrdanko
Landmark Center

Postby grrdanko » October 12th, 2021, 7:43 pm

The Dayton's Project announced a retail opening on November 18th and a new website.

The vendor list looks pretty lacking. Hopefully they can pick up some additional tenants before they open.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... e=timeline

MinnMonkey
Landmark Center

Postby MinnMonkey » October 12th, 2021, 8:31 pm

The Dayton's Project announced a retail opening on November 18th and a new website.

The vendor list looks pretty lacking. Hopefully they can pick up some additional tenants before they open.

Looks like they announced 10 vendors. Sounds like they have 30 lined up for opening day.

pillsdoughboy
City Center

Postby pillsdoughboy » October 14th, 2021, 10:43 am

I'd push back on the idea that local vendors that aren't ~luxurious~ is a bad thing. I find Nicollet Mall to be quite generic. It's sleek, but it seems like it could be just about anywhere (save for the skyways that give away our cold climate). I think having a lot of small, local talent will really make this development special. I'm with you in wanting more tenants, and maybe even a few higher end tenants somewhere in the building, but I think this kind of incubator is what the city needs in this part of town.

uptownbro
Rice Park

Postby uptownbro » October 14th, 2021, 11:01 am

A good mix will be needed. A few high end tenants mixed in with mostly local or small retail spaces. I think they said 30 vendors will be open in nov. I hope the owners wont try to run this like a mall but rather as stated above an incubator for retailers to get a footing downtown and then grow to a larger retail space in the CBD.

Im just glad this is finally opening(knock on wood)

grrdanko
Landmark Center

Postby grrdanko » October 14th, 2021, 4:52 pm

I'm glad it's finally opening too and I love the idea of small local vendor's but these just aren't exciting options Imho.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » October 15th, 2021, 8:05 am

The latest issue of Twin Cities Business has a feature on the project: https://www.pageturnpro.com/Twin-Cities ... ml#page/52

grrdanko
Landmark Center

Postby grrdanko » November 15th, 2021, 5:09 pm

These hours are pretty disappointing.
Monday through Saturday 10-6 & Sunday 12-5. What's even the point?

I hate to be negative, but after years of renovation they seem to be trying to make the retail portion of this project fail.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 4859253313

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » November 15th, 2021, 9:47 pm

It feels aimed at the pre-pandemic office crowd.

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » November 15th, 2021, 10:14 pm

Seems fairly similar to pre pandemic downtown retail? With less people? I hope to shop there to support it, but they’re setting those hours for a reason.

BBMplsMN
Nicollet Mall

Postby BBMplsMN » November 15th, 2021, 10:30 pm

Those hours seem reasonable for the current situation. It doesn’t mean they can’t change them if needed. Target still closes at 6 as well.

I was in the Dayton‘s building last Thursday at 5:30 and it was a ghost town. There was cheery Christmas music echoing off the bare skyway walls. I hung around for a while and only saw three other people. It was eerie. The rest of the downtown skyways were still very quiet as well. At some point people will return and the hours will adjust to them.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » November 16th, 2021, 11:45 am

We should all go down there and encourage others to and buy at least something small. Get some friends or family, get some food see the displays and markets....

uptownbro
Rice Park

Postby uptownbro » January 24th, 2022, 12:46 pm

Uncommon: a retail marketing and strategy start up is leasing a 5,000 sf suit on the sixth floor. They have ties to target.
Source :Mill City Times FB page

Not a huge deal in terms of space but it its positive news for this project as its only the second office suit leased. Hopefully a few more will follow.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 20th, 2022, 12:25 pm

Prudential is moving their employees into the Dayton's project. While this is a really nice pick-up for the project, they're only taking 28,000sf. This is a massive downsize from their current 450,000sf campus in Plymouth.

https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... enant.html

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » September 20th, 2022, 12:48 pm

More downtown activity and a big redevelopment site in Plymouth? I see this as an absolute win.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » September 20th, 2022, 1:25 pm

What does that put them at now? 7% leased?
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 20th, 2022, 1:46 pm

More downtown activity and a big redevelopment site in Plymouth? I see this as an absolute win.
Except that if this decrease in leased square footage is any kind of indication, downtown office towers are going to get decimated when it's time for other big lease holders to sign new leases.

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » September 20th, 2022, 4:08 pm

Alternatively, if the largest lease holders reevaluate their needs and reshuffle to newly proposed Class A office towers, that frees up space in our existing Class A towers for more suburban businesses looking to dump their aging campuses. Even better, if it shuffles more leases out of our Class B and C towers, we can get some more residential conversions going too.

But like with Deluxe, it probably has far more to do with this being a company that has major operations elsewhere and is choosing quality over quantity than a harbinger that every one of our major employers is going to choose to downsize their office space by 90%. Especially given how many of them are beating the RTO drum right now.

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » September 20th, 2022, 4:43 pm

I’ve walked through there multiple times and have never seen Andrew Zimmern.

StandishGuy
Nicollet Mall

Postby StandishGuy » September 25th, 2022, 10:44 am

IMO maybe the owners of the Dayton's Project should consider converting at least some space into housing. The huge floor plate probably makes that pretty challenging, however. ..