The Dayton's Project

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Silophant

Re: Downtown Minneapolis Macy's Building

Postby Silophant » January 4th, 2017, 12:46 pm

So here's a somewhat positive thought to contrast with the doom-and-gloom that some are probably feeling: what if a well-run, but lower-end department store such as Herbergers or JCP were to be brought into to the revamped building? That wouldn't be so bad, right? They might not carry the same higher-end brands as Macy's, but the lower and middle-end merchandise is basically identical (Dockers, Nike, Columbia, et al) and that stuff's gotta make up like 75% of the store. Macy's has been so poorly ran in recent years (dated finishes/fixtures, disheveled stores), you'd be hard-pressed to guess that it was even supposed to be a notch above the likes of Herbergers/JCP, if you weren't told.
Pretty much what I've been thinking since the rumor came out. Even after their abandonment of the upper floors, the DT Macy's is still gigantic. It's got a similar footprint as the one at MOA, but takes up five floors instead of three. Obviously there isn't enough demand downtown to sustain a department store 1.66x the size of the one at the biggest shopping destination in the region, but I'm not at all convinced that there's not enough to support one that takes up, say, the first floor, or a portion of the first and second floors, or whatever.
What's going to happen to the skyway connection when this closes? Will people have too :o use the streets!?
Nope. I guarantee the skyway connection stays open (well, probably some temporary closures), just like the Sak's/Walgreens one did during that renovation.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » January 4th, 2017, 12:47 pm

Wishful thinking. They'll likely do what they did with Block E. Just put up some fake walls and go on with life.

5th Ave Guy
Landmark Center

Postby 5th Ave Guy » January 4th, 2017, 3:25 pm

Important question: what happens to Winston's? Been getting my hair cut there for 10 years.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » January 4th, 2017, 3:28 pm

Hopefully the buyer can be a benevolent curator of some of the most beloved stores/services within the Macy's buildings (barber, Oak Room?, dunno what else) while redevelopment plans take shape.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » January 4th, 2017, 3:56 pm

Yeah, the 12th floor restaurants and the barber shop seem like they should be able to stand alone. The basement stuff (travel agency, shoe repair, food court) maybe not so much.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

jtoemke
Landmark Center

Postby jtoemke » January 4th, 2017, 4:10 pm

It's not going to be another department store. Multiple tenants. Building preserved but interior renovated. It looks good. Just be patient.

billhelm
Nicollet Mall

Postby billhelm » January 4th, 2017, 4:21 pm

That's one of the busiest stretches of skyway in the whole system. It's not going anywhere.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » January 4th, 2017, 11:21 pm

What about the 4th floor woman's restroom?
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » January 5th, 2017, 10:49 am

Strib reports that Oak Grill, Sky room, and lower level food will close 1/27.

matt91486
Nicollet Mall

Postby matt91486 » January 5th, 2017, 4:30 pm

Bah, I was hoping the Sky Room would survive. I don't eat downtown all that much, but I do like to get a sandwich from there when I do.

billhelm
Nicollet Mall

Postby billhelm » January 5th, 2017, 7:33 pm

spearson
Landmark Center

Postby spearson » January 9th, 2017, 11:03 am

I'm bummed about this. Love the 12th floor eating area. Love the few holiday events on the 8th floor. Because I walk through it every day, it's probably the only place I've shopped for clothes in the last few years.

I really hope the women's bathroom is preserved in some way. it's classic, as well as the features around the old jewelry store (old doors and milwork plus the old rotating wood doors just inside the street access doors.

That 12th floor is packed for lunch every single day so I really hope that can be re-opened somehow.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » January 9th, 2017, 2:20 pm

Inventory Clearance sale started today. 20-40% off the whole store. Do we know a close date for the store yet?

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » January 9th, 2017, 4:13 pm

Inventory Clearance sale started today. 20-40% off the whole store. Do we know a close date for the store yet?
The wife will love that!

martykoessel
Landmark Center

Postby martykoessel » January 9th, 2017, 4:30 pm

Macy's might be pulling our legs on this clearance thing. I need a new pair of Levi's, so I checked to see how the sale might help out. The jeans (and everything else) were marked up to the original price before applying the discount. In the case of a pair of 501 Levis, that means 20% off of $63 something. Not much of a bargain from my point of view. A case in point on why our downtown Macy's is going away. With luck, something more appropriate to the average wallet takes its place.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » January 9th, 2017, 5:10 pm

Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

BBMplsMN
Nicollet Mall

Postby BBMplsMN » January 9th, 2017, 5:48 pm

What are the chances that Barnes and Noble opens the smaller location they were looking for as part of the Macy's space. The Star Tribune article had a quote from the current property owner saying B&N wanted a smaller space, but they weren't able to provide it in the current location. Does that imply that they might still be looking to have a presence downtown?

twinkess
Target Field

Postby twinkess » January 9th, 2017, 9:33 pm

Seconded. The discounts aren't even at 1 day sale levels yet. Hold off.

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » January 9th, 2017, 9:45 pm

I will say stuff is going fast. I don't know how much will be around for the deepest discounts. I happened to look in a few areas, and all but one of the All-Clad pans were gone, and there were only a few flannel sheet sets left.

sanguinic
Metrodome

Postby sanguinic » January 11th, 2017, 7:19 pm

A farewell to Dayton's restaurants, in the Strib:

http://www.startribune.com/going-going- ... 0420505/#1