Writing Campaign

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
NEeaster
Metrodome

Writing Campaign

Postby NEeaster » January 4th, 2016, 6:47 pm

Is anyone interested in starting a writing campaign to gather feedback/signatures from downtown neighborhood residents about stores, etc. that they's like to see an support downtown? We could forward it to city council members as well as building owners/management companies.

NEeaster
Metrodome

Re: Writing Campaign

Postby NEeaster » January 5th, 2016, 9:30 pm

So I guess people just like to whine and complain but don't actually want to try to do anything to bring about change...

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » January 5th, 2016, 10:19 pm

That's it
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » January 5th, 2016, 10:20 pm

Yes none of us here do real things to try to help downtown

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » January 5th, 2016, 10:28 pm

I dunno, sell us on it. Are there particular businesses you can think of that are threatened by the city government that need an outpouring of support?

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » January 6th, 2016, 9:27 am

When I first read the post, I thought it was saying "We should write to city council members to tell them what businesses need to be downtown" which I found odd. They know pretty well what isn't downtown, and it's not as if they can make a business materialize without someone having the means and the will to open one.

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Postby Tiller » January 6th, 2016, 9:55 am

It sounds like it would also be used to bludgeon the private sector (look at all the people who want your store/restaurant here!). Idk if this is something that ever happens though.

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » January 6th, 2016, 10:28 am

As someone who works at a place where we are the target of these sort of writing campaigns all the time, no. It does not work.

trigonalmayhem

Postby trigonalmayhem » January 6th, 2016, 11:12 am

The only way I can see this working is if the city throws some kind of subsidy at a business, and that is questionable in the very best of circumstances. Then again I'd rather have my tax money pay for a dunkin donuts in loring park than a stadium, so ...

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » January 6th, 2016, 11:30 am

You're much better off getting involved in the process. Join your neighborhood board, get to know your councilmember personally.

As for requesting certain businesses, I think you should just email them. If you have a list of businesses, perhaps forward that to the Downtown Council. The Downtown Council is really the established advocacy group for making downtown better.

Michael
City Center

Postby Michael » January 6th, 2016, 11:59 am

This:
You're much better off getting involved in the process. Join your neighborhood board, get to know your councilmember personally.

As for requesting certain businesses, I think you should just email them. If you have a list of businesses, perhaps forward that to the Downtown Council. The Downtown Council is really the established advocacy group for making downtown better.
Unless they get into the thousands of signatures, writing campaigns are actually pretty easy to ignore. In addition it is tremendously difficult to create something focused using that approach as virtually no one agrees 100% on anything (look at this board).

The best approach is to start attending the public meetings, get to know to people who influence and/or make the decisions and build relationships. the ROI will generally be much higher.

at40man
Rice Park

Postby at40man » January 7th, 2016, 9:44 am

When the economics are in favor for a desired store to open in particular location, then it probably will.

If it does not, then the beauty of capitalism is that YOU! can open a store or become a franchisee.

reeckman
Metrodome

Postby reeckman » January 7th, 2016, 11:22 am

Yes contact the business. I emailed Trader Joe's twice in 2012 insisting they locate on Park and 3rd and gave reasons to get in on DTE. They promptly replied thanks but no thanks, but now that it's actually happening near there it's fun to think it made a difference.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » January 7th, 2016, 12:21 pm

I've emailed Express once/year for maybe 2-3 years now about (re)opening an Uptown location or considering a downtown location.

Lately, I've also been email harassing USBank about their abysmal branch & ATM coverage in basically all of SW Minneapolis. (It's shockingly bad considering this is their home city)

NEeaster
Metrodome

Postby NEeaster » January 9th, 2016, 10:10 am

I have emailed emailed City Center, Gaviidae, etc. and individual stores that I'd love to see move downtown individually - sometimes I get a response, more often not.