Medical Examiner's Office - 530 Chicago Ave

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
acs
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Medical Examiner's Office - 530 Chicago Ave

Postby acs » January 15th, 2016, 4:40 pm

I know some here could lose consciousness as they read this, but I would actually support a height restriction on some of the blocks to the south/southwest of the park, in order to maximize natural sunlight on the park. A bright park is a happy park. I'm not suggesting something abominable like 4 floors, but whatever height maximizes the most direct sunlight (maybe 12-15 floors). Like Central Park, NYC.
AAAAARRRGHBLglhasdfsfdd!!!!!!!!

bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Postby bapster2006 » January 15th, 2016, 6:15 pm

What we have to remember here is that during the warm months a building would have to be extremely tall to cast a shadow all the way across that street into the park. The sun is just far too high in the sky for that.

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » January 17th, 2016, 9:18 pm

How adequate is their current facility? Do they just want to move to be closer to the center of the area they serve (which includes Scott and Dakota Counties) or to get out of Dodge because of the new stadium?

The First Covenant Church block just about became parking too. In the late 1980s and early 1990s when I attended the closely related Minneahaha Academy, both organizations had aging, ill-suited buildings (In the church's case it was too big, and in the school's case it was too small), and both considered decamping for the suburbs, perhaps Plymouth. They rejected it because although the majority of members/students came from the suburbs, it was evenly spread out over the suburbs. When Breck's chapel was burned down by disgruntled students they decided to get out of the city and bought and expanded the old Golden Valley school, and Minnehaha Academy took over the old Breck location as the South Campus. This also put an end to the option of demolishing the original 1912 portion of their building and rebuilding since they no longer had money. Meanwhile First Covenant felt their property was worth more than what the Met Sports Council was offering besides the location issue.

I've been back to the school, all the wood floors, high ceilings, cast iron radiators and plaster of the old buildings have been remodeled and they demolished the 1949 gymnasium/auditoriums and built separate auditorium and gyms (a new auditorium was envisioned with the 1977 structure but not funded); and the 1977 and recent addtions, as well as the South Campus have been remodeled to look old on the outside...

The church I recall a plan to sell off the 1950s education wing for redevelopment, but they now seem to have backed off and instead leased it long term to the Mill City Charter School, and from what I can tell the church is much more local city residents now.

SixOneTwo
Nicollet Mall

Postby SixOneTwo » January 18th, 2016, 10:58 am

How adequate is their current facility? Do they just want to move to be closer to the center of the area they serve (which includes Scott and Dakota Counties) or to get out of Dodge because of the new stadium?
My understanding is that the current facility is woefully inadequate. They are well overcapacity, especially since taking over medical examiner duties for Scott and Dakota County. And the current opioid epidemic isn't helping either.

BigIdeasGuy
Union Depot

Postby BigIdeasGuy » January 22nd, 2016, 9:01 am

Governor Dayton included the new Medical Examiner building in his bonding bill proposal so this still has some life.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » December 26th, 2016, 1:17 pm

'Hennepin County plans to move medical examiner’s office to suburbs'

http://www.startribune.com/hennepin-cou ... 407982196/
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » December 26th, 2016, 8:03 pm

So if we assume that the entire medical examiners complex is gone, are there any environmental concerns that need to be addressed? Is the land underneath the current building clean?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » December 26th, 2016, 8:06 pm

Also, is this in a height-restriction zone?

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » December 26th, 2016, 9:48 pm

So if we assume that the entire medical examiners complex is gone, are there any environmental concerns that need to be addressed? Is the land underneath the current building clean?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maybe there are ghosts? (giggle)

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » March 3rd, 2017, 5:32 pm

Intent now to relocate to the Boys School site in Minnetonka, redevelop it for $58 million. Then sell their downtown 2 acres for top dollar.

http://www.startribune.com/hennepin-cou ... 415348444/