Century Plaza / Convention Hotel rumoring (archive)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
nasa35

Re: 330 South 12th

Postby nasa35 » September 11th, 2012, 10:01 am

Anybody want to throw in a rendering of a 40 to 50 level tower on this parcel? Curious to see how it would change the skyline. From my vantage point to the south it looks like it would block Norwest and/or Foshay :o
Here's a quick image using a photo by a photographer who goes by the handle of CarbonSilver. A 50-story hotel would be in the 550' range which puts it a bit shorter than the Campbell-Mithun building. From this angle it separates itself from the core and it would be prominent from 35W.

Fun to imagine, anyway...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
I like. Thanks Avian.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » September 11th, 2012, 10:42 am

I'm glad it's not as tall as I was picturing 50 stories... I thought I wasn't going to like it at all so far out of the core, but that would be alright.

My biggest concern skyline-wise is what it would look like looking north from I35w south of the city. That seems to be a lot of people's 'favorite view' of the city...

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » September 11th, 2012, 10:44 am

Thanks for the photo Avian! A 50 story hotel would be a great addition to the skyline. Would be visually very dramatic as you approached downtown from 35W. Let's cross our fingers and hope this project happens! :D

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 11th, 2012, 11:32 am

Aside from the obsession with tall buildings, do we really want this project to happen?

I ask this as a serious question, and it has two parts:

1. Is there really demand for this quantity of hotel rooms, and to what degree should the city/county subsidize such an undertaking? Presumably the study will tell us this, but there are a lot of indications that the convention industry's best days are behind us, and that the capacity for hosting large conventions is already massively overbuilt in this country.

2. Is this the right location for this hotel? It may be, but I'm frustrated that it feels too far removed from the downtown core.

As an aside, after looking at a lot of convention centers and their hotels, it's unfortunate that the Metrodome/new Vikings Stadium is so far removed from the convention center. Many cities seem to get pretty good synergy by locating these two functions immediately next to each other.

nasa35

Postby nasa35 » September 11th, 2012, 11:45 am

Aside from the obsession with tall buildings, do we really want this project to happen?

1. Is there really demand for this quantity of hotel rooms, and to what degree should the city/county subsidize such an undertaking? Presumably the study will tell us this, but there are a lot of indications that the convention industry's best days are behind us, and that the capacity for hosting large conventions is already massively overbuilt in this country.

2. Is this the right location for this hotel? It may be, but I'm frustrated that it feels too far removed from the downtown core.

As an aside, after looking at a lot of convention centers and their hotels, it's unfortunate that the Metrodome/new Vikings Stadium is so far removed from the convention center. Many cities seem to get pretty good synergy by locating these two functions immediately next to each other.
Bussing the two teams a mile and a half wouldn't be an issue.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » September 11th, 2012, 11:47 am

^Right, or they could at least build the hotel inbetween the CBD, the Convention Center, and the new Vikings Stadium....

nasa35

Postby nasa35 » September 11th, 2012, 11:51 am

^Right, or they could at least build the hotel inbetween the CBD, the Convention Center, and the new Vikings Stadium....
I agree that would be much better as well as a bit more sensible.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 11th, 2012, 12:25 pm

You're missing the point -- convention bookers, who might want to use the Vikings Stadium for a marquee event during their convention, don't want to have to load 35,000 people onto buses or give them directions. They want it right next door. Same thing for the convention hotel -- while a regular hotel would look at a broad range of factors when deciding where to build their hotel, for convention bookers, it needs to be right next door.

If you can't offer those things, they'll look at a city that can.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » September 11th, 2012, 12:46 pm

I'd personally rather have 2 privately developed 600 room hotels, one in DTE near the stadium, maybe 50 stories with some apartments/condos, on the block south of the Armory. It could be great when the Armory is used for events, close to the stadium, Government Buildings and HCMC. Then a 20-30 story one for the Convention Center. on the southern half of the 9th st and 3rd ave surface lot. Mostly for the convention purpose.

Maybe things would get real crazy and Best Western would re-develop the Normandy in for a... ha. ha. ok, I couldn't even type it.

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » September 11th, 2012, 1:03 pm

I've always thought the Normandy Inn would make a great luxury condo/apartment conversion.

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » September 11th, 2012, 1:13 pm

I've always thought the Normandy Inn should have an unfortunate meeting with a wrecking ball. :p

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » September 11th, 2012, 2:33 pm

My gut had an unfortunate meeting with a wrecking ball the few times I ate at Normandy Kitchen. So, good call.

reeckman
Metrodome

Postby reeckman » September 11th, 2012, 3:52 pm

The Normandy may benefit from a theme-changing facelift but let's not get carried away. It's more respectable than that, and much better than another parking lot.

About the convention center hotel: the location is ridiculous because there isn't enough to do near there, currently, for those staying at the hotel. But if the walkable offerings around there improve, it could be synergistic because that could also de-isolate the Hilton Garden Inn and Grant Park. It may be wishful thinking but I hope the downtown core can eventually extend east-southeast of Brit's Pub :|

mullen
Foshay Tower

Re: Convention Center Hotel - (330 South 12th Street)

Postby mullen » September 12th, 2012, 6:22 am

this is spot-on. convention centers and convention center hotels are rather a relic of the 80's & 90's. there has been numerous studies showing bookings being way down in these centers from previous decades. business/meeting can be done simpler and cheaper with today's technology. so then you have trade shows and events such as cheerleading competitions and the sort. i just don't see the market for minneapolis. are the hotels we have filled as it is?

and our triangle of event centers within our core is not a great selling point. i remember when the original intent was to site a new convention center on hennepin ave, closer to the core and entertainment/hospitality junctions of downtown. this is where a city like indianapolis has us beat.

but perhaps this study will prove the need for a large hotel....i certainly would hope it be private venture. you always have to wonder if it's such a great deal why public money needs to be involved at all. the answer is it's such a risk for the reasons listed above.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » September 12th, 2012, 9:48 am

Maybe my L5 Streetcar Line could be built to connect the convention center/hotel with the Metrodome area...
http://goo.gl/maps/nJa3i

Some of the other lines, including L4, would also provide connectivity from the Convention Center area.

reeckman
Metrodome

Postby reeckman » September 12th, 2012, 11:19 am

Street car would be nice. You should connect with Metro Transit and Met Council to present and optimize these if you haven't already.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 13th, 2012, 8:09 am

Read yesterday that the Millenium Hotel across from the Hyatt will be closing down for 4 months for a $20 million make over. They felt it best to get it done quick and not draw it out like the Hyatt did. Will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » September 13th, 2012, 8:18 am

Do they have any plans or anything out there?

Edit* I found them

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... ge_gallery

They are taking off the amazing retro bronze trim. That is pretty much the best part about the MIllennium.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » September 13th, 2012, 8:21 am

I was shocked to read how old that Millenium Hotel is... sounds like it was built in 1963!

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » September 13th, 2012, 8:45 am

Do they have any plans or anything out there?

Edit* I found them

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... ge_gallery

They are taking off the amazing retro bronze trim. That is pretty much the best part about the MIllennium.
Yes, that patina copper detail is a really nice piece from the early 60's. This hotel must have been strikingly modern when it was built. The interior rehab looks great, but once again, the exterior facade should be updated a bit ( but retaining the patina copper detailing from the 1960's). That's the same problem I had with the renovation of the Hyatt: nothing done to the exterior to update the look. Cheapskates! :x