U.S. Bank Stadium

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Re: U.S. Bank Stadium Construction Updates

Postby Wedgeguy » November 19th, 2015, 2:10 pm

I actually like the idea of something quirky and Minnesotan like this. It's a unique use of a corner that really doesn't face the direction that most of the fans will arrive though... I would make sense to have the screen face Medtronic Plaza and the LRT platform. Sort of like the Target Field video screen.
Think they are looking more for ad revenue from at the # of cars that will be driving along 6th and passing by it on their way out of DT.

fehler
Rice Park

Postby fehler » November 19th, 2015, 2:21 pm

I like it, especially at the corner closest to Elliot Park (well, between Elliot Park and the DTE LRT). Fun thing for kids to run/hop/climb/crawl over. So long as the running/hopping/climbing thing is allowed. And if the sail is just a big video screen, whatever.

Now can someone tell me what the whale penis being installed on 11th Avenue is supposed to be?

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » November 19th, 2015, 2:44 pm

I like it, especially at the corner closest to Elliot Park (well, between Elliot Park and the DTE LRT). Fun thing for kids to run/hop/climb/crawl over. So long as the running/hopping/climbing thing is allowed. And if the sail is just a big video screen, whatever.

Now can someone tell me what the whale penis being installed on 11th Avenue is supposed to be?
The Whale penises are Markers where directional signage will be placed. There will be additional phallic symbols of differing sizes going up around the stadium!! :lol:

moda253
Nicollet Mall

Postby moda253 » November 19th, 2015, 2:45 pm

I think the idea of the viking ship is fun -- but so far, the execution of the idea looks a little Vegas-cheap for my taste.
Don't they have to actually build it before we can talk about the execution of it? That cart is a wee bit ahead of the horse right now.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » November 19th, 2015, 2:47 pm

My execution is to kill it before they even build the fugly thing.

moda253
Nicollet Mall

Postby moda253 » November 19th, 2015, 2:48 pm

phallic obsession, and demonizing phallic symbols is very late 1990's. Don't fear the penis.

moda253
Nicollet Mall

Postby moda253 » November 19th, 2015, 2:51 pm

My execution is to kill it before they even build the fugly thing.

Yeah but you lose.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » November 19th, 2015, 3:14 pm

phallic obsession, and demonizing phallic symbols is very late 1990's. Don't fear the penis.
Thank you, you made my day there!! :D :lol:

Rube Dali
Nicollet Mall

Postby Rube Dali » November 20th, 2015, 12:26 pm

The seats, at least on the East side, are getting covered up by tarps on interior cams 3 & 4. Speaking of seats, anyone know why they took out two sections of seats next to the future Club Purple? Expanding it, perhaps? Or possibly removed for something else?
Buildings, what buildings?

nfschauer
Nicollet Mall

Postby nfschauer » November 20th, 2015, 5:17 pm

New webcam facing the East! Finally!!!

Chip Whitley
Metrodome

Postby Chip Whitley » December 3rd, 2015, 4:15 pm

The main video board is going up this week and it looks like it could be ready for testing as soon as next week. It's hard to believe we've come as far in this project to the point where the main video board is a week away.

On an unrelated note, the Vikings posted a picture comparing the new men's bathroom to the old men's bathroom. The bathroom does look a lot better without the classic trough. However, I must admit that the amount of purple in the stadium is getting to me. I'm saying this as a Vikings fan, a stadium supporter, and a PSL owner for the new stadium. The purple seats annoyed me but I'll deal with it. However, the men's bathroom literally has a purple wall. I can only imagine my grandpa coming down for a state football game, walking into the bathroom, seeing a purple wall, and walking out. The Vikings branding of the stadium seems a little too far in my opinion.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » December 3rd, 2015, 4:23 pm

What's wrong with purple? I saw the picture, it's really classy modern glass tile. People urinate in disgusting hole in the wall toilets all over and you're concerned grandpa is so insecure in his ability to urinate that some tile will dissuade him? Yikes.

Chip Whitley
Metrodome

Postby Chip Whitley » December 3rd, 2015, 4:32 pm

What's wrong with purple? I saw the picture, it's really classy modern glass tile. People urinate in disgusting hole in the wall toilets all over and you're concerned grandpa is so insecure in his ability to urinate that some tile will dissuade him? Yikes.
I think you're missing my point. I do agree that the layout of the tile is nice and modern.

I'm not saying my 80 year old grandpa is insecure... about anything, I'm just saying that if he walked into a bathroom and saw a purple wall before he saw any urinals or another guy, he might easily walk out.

Do you disagree that the purple, Vikings branding is borderline too much? It's a multi-purpose stadium, when the Vikings aren't playing, in my opinion, it shouldn't be obvious literally everywhere you go that it's the Vikings stadium. Disagree?

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » December 3rd, 2015, 7:05 pm

I guess I disagree... :)

I should hope there is adequate signage around that if someone mistakes it for a lady's room, they'll be reassured.

I also think that the Metrodome had purple all over it... that there's going to be a massive vikings ship outside, and plenty of other things signifying that this is the Home of The Vikings, and I'd assume most people attending the stadium for any public sporting games or events are probably pretty excited that they get to see the home of their favorite football team.

I'm kind of happy that the Vikings are doubling down on purple, because I think the fans could be prouder of it...

I understand your concern of course, but as long as the purple tile wasn't outrageously more expensive than a neutral of the same style, I'm not really concerned about public use.

David Greene
IDS Center

Re: USBank Stadium LRT Station, Ped Bridge & Plaza (MSFA blo

Postby David Greene » December 3rd, 2015, 9:47 pm

Mortenson crushing minority workforce goals.

http://www.mprnews.org/story/2015/10/23 ... ity-hiring
Interesting how mandates to break down systemic barriers make the seemingly impossible possible.

Good on Mortenson and all involved.

intercomnut
Rice Park

Postby intercomnut » December 5th, 2015, 2:52 pm

Strib does a story on the ETFE roof material. It includes a brief video tour of the dome:

http://www.startribune.com/high-tech-ro ... 360644121/

Avian
Union Depot

Postby Avian » December 5th, 2015, 7:51 pm

Just thought I'd post this tidbit. Yeah, what does it have to do with stadium? Nothing. Other than the new stadium will probably host a few of these type of contests...:)

Minnesota Brass Inc. Drum and Bugle Corps wins the DCA World Championship in 2011 with a show about Vikings...

Introduction, Prayer, War, Funeral Pyre, Valhalla.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8QFeY8Y3C8

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato

intercomnut
Rice Park

Postby intercomnut » December 5th, 2015, 8:46 pm

Strib does a story on the ETFE roof material. It includes a brief video tour of the dome:

http://www.startribune.com/high-tech-ro ... 360644121/
Whoops.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » December 5th, 2015, 9:10 pm

Just thought I'd post this tidbit. Yeah, what does it have to do with stadium? Nothing. Other than the new stadium will probably host a few of these type of contests...:)

Minnesota Brass Inc. Drum and Bugle Corps wins the DCA World Championship in 2011 with a show about Vikings...

Introduction, Prayer, War, Funeral Pyre, Valhalla.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8QFeY8Y3C8
Avian, do you have a MBI connection? I've been around the corps (less lately) since 2001!

They do hope to bring DCI Minnesota to the new stadium. Regional Drum Corps show held annually in July. It's been at TCF Bank Stadium most years. Also the annual MN Marching Band championship, Youth in Music, will be held at US Bank Stadium on Oct 8, 2016! Hopefully annually every October.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » December 15th, 2015, 4:31 pm

Glass is being installed on the main entrance facing the future commons.