Rice Park

Re: U.S. Bank Stadium Construction Updates

Postby matthew5080 » May 12th, 2016, 5:51 pm

Our new nordic inspired artwork.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » May 13th, 2016, 4:40 pm

They were testing the lighting system last night! A friend sent me a snap, it looked really cool. Here's a video they posted. (Sorry about the mobile link)

http://m.vikings.com/media-vault/videos ... 976fa790a7

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » May 13th, 2016, 4:42 pm

They were testing the lighting system last night! A friend sent me a snap, it looked really cool. Here's a video they posted. (Sorry about the mobile link)

http://m.vikings.com/media-vault/videos ... 976fa790a7

And sorry you'll have to change huns to v-ikings because teenage girls... I mean moderators.

SamHartmen

Postby SamHartmen » May 14th, 2016, 12:09 am

It's a spam link..

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » May 14th, 2016, 6:56 am

No its not. As I said below the link you have to change huns to v I k I n g s within the link. Because the moderators have chosen to be childish.

Carson Dyle
City Center

Postby Carson Dyle » May 15th, 2016, 11:13 pm

Some Nordic Village-inspired art coming to stadium plaza: http://www.startribune.com/minnesota-vi ... 378897221/
"Art" does not come painted with a corporate logo. We call that "advertising".

Do you mean to tell me that they even sold naming rights to the gigantic slab of poured cement (er "plaza") out front?

moda253
Nicollet Mall

Postby moda253 » May 16th, 2016, 9:25 am

Can we just get this out of the way....Every single possibility to make money off this stadium is going to be made and probably then some. Just get over it. The more money this thing makes the more tax dollars are generated. That is a good thing.

And please just because something has a signature on it doesn't mean it isn't art. There are people that consider billboards art. There are people that consider neon signs art. I don't know how anyone tries to make an absolute statement defining art.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » May 16th, 2016, 9:42 am

Can we just get this out of the way....Every single possibility to make money off this stadium is going to be made and probably then some. Just get over it. The more money this thing makes the more tax dollars are generated. That is a good thing.

And please just because something has a signature on it doesn't mean it isn't art. There are people that consider billboards art. There are people that consider neon signs art. I don't know how anyone tries to make an absolute statement defining art.
Thank you. I couldn't agree more. Naming rights are very commonplace today. So not thinking that the Plaza won't have Medtronic's name in many locations - including on the huge art piece, after they've paid millions and millions of dollars is foolish. If you don't like it - just look away.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » May 16th, 2016, 9:46 am

Some Nordic Village-inspired art coming to stadium plaza: http://www.startribune.com/minnesota-vi ... 378897221/
"Art" does not come painted with a corporate logo. We call that "advertising".

Do you mean to tell me that they even sold naming rights to the gigantic slab of poured cement (er "plaza") out front?
I was being a little tongue and cheek...see use of "Nordic Village," a discarded name for what is now, um, East Town.

That said, I don't really mind this, whether people think it's art or advertising. It actually looks pretty cool and adds to what will otherwise be an empty plaza. Given that Medtronic already has the naming rights to the plaza (this isn't a first - the Mdewakanton Sioux have naming rights outside of TCF Bank Stadium for the Tribal Nations plaza), is it really bad that they put something on it, even if it has plaque with their name?

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » May 16th, 2016, 9:49 am

Shorter version of this thread: "Everyone else does it, so it's cool."

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » May 16th, 2016, 9:50 am

I'll take more public art no matter what form it comes in, but frankly I'm more excited about what will be placed in the commons or on Nicollet mall than anything here.

moda253
Nicollet Mall

Postby moda253 » May 16th, 2016, 12:09 pm

Morse closer in focus is architectural design not artistic? At least in some circumstances? And if so what happens when a company slaps their name on the front of it? All artistic quality is out the window?

Chip Whitley
Metrodome

Postby Chip Whitley » May 31st, 2016, 12:04 pm

It's hard to believe we're in the last month of construction. I recall reading somewhere that construction was supposed to be wrapped up by July 4th weekend. Makes sense considering they are starting tours July 23 and they'll probably need a few weeks to clean the place, bring in food/ advertising, and other things not related to construction that need to be done before showing it to the public. It's funny how close to being done it actually is. When you track the construction regularly, it's easy to lose track of the progress but it's nice to see everything coming together.

5th Ave Guy
Landmark Center

Postby 5th Ave Guy » June 3rd, 2016, 7:57 am

The big windows are open. So at least you can see the back of the giant video board in front of them.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » June 3rd, 2016, 11:32 am

They also seem to be testing a big lit-up thing on the southwest side of the stadium (is that the sail on the "ship"?).

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » June 3rd, 2016, 2:02 pm

They also seem to be testing a big lit-up thing on the southwest side of the stadium (is that the sail on the "ship"?).
Yes, that's the "sail".

Carson Dyle
City Center

Postby Carson Dyle » June 7th, 2016, 4:47 pm

Is the video board on the front face of the stadium finished? Will that much of the frame remain exposed? Seems like it's been like this for weeks, but I would have expected it to be finished by now. The thing is awful looking the way it is.

robotlollipop
Metrodome

Postby robotlollipop » June 7th, 2016, 5:12 pm

Where it says USbank Stadium? I like it.

jbraski
Block E

Postby jbraski » June 7th, 2016, 10:14 pm

Stadium is all light up tonight with all purple lighting inside for Prince's birthday tribute. Check out the webcam on the Vikings website...looks amazing!

One question for folks out there...does anyone know any more details about the zinc siding they used on the stadium? It looks pretty neat, but there many panels that don't really match in color. It's almost as if they should have either gone all one exact shade, or just had random shades scattered throughout. My hopes is that these will all fade and blend in time, but the question is how long will that take?

@Carson, it looks like they are continually working on the frame around the front outside screen, very slowly however. There are even parts of the daktronics screens that have unfinished edges if you look on the high-res webcam shots. Hopefully the finished product looks better and more complete.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » June 7th, 2016, 10:44 pm

The zinc panels are supposed to fade over time and settle on a particular color. My guess is the different shades are due to timing of implementation.