U.S. Bank Stadium

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
nfschauer
Nicollet Mall

Re: Minnesota Multi Purpose Stadium

Postby nfschauer » July 31st, 2014, 7:29 am

Today is the day one of the steel pieces is put up. What they did a couple of days ago was to measure and ensure everything would fit and be in place for today.

twinkess
Target Field

Postby twinkess » July 31st, 2014, 9:08 am

Looks like it is in already.

topher hoefer
Block E

Postby topher hoefer » July 31st, 2014, 11:10 am

Is anyone else surprised the steel is green? I don't remember any color in the renderings. I kinda hate the green. White or natural silver would have been better.

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Postby mplser » July 31st, 2014, 11:20 am

The green towers are temporary supports only. I dont think it will be green

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » July 31st, 2014, 11:21 am

Its just another subtle hint that this will be the Packer's second home stadium.

nfschauer
Nicollet Mall

Postby nfschauer » July 31st, 2014, 12:49 pm

Yup, they're temporary. Someone has probably already posted this, but here's Mortenson's day by day construction timeline visual. It shows the green supports coming down after a while.

http://blogs.mprnews.org/stadium-watch/ ... o-minutes/

topher hoefer
Block E

Postby topher hoefer » July 31st, 2014, 3:44 pm

That makes more sense. I bet the white ones laying on the ground are the final structure pieces, being prepped for raising into place.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » July 31st, 2014, 3:53 pm

I'm sure color coding the steel structures helps minimize the construction confusion.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 5th, 2014, 2:13 pm

I went by today and that huge HUGE white piece of structure looks awesome standing up like that. I'm excited to see this whole engineering feat happen!

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 5th, 2014, 2:24 pm

Wow. This looks awesome on the webcam

MN_Build.org
Block E

Postby MN_Build.org » August 5th, 2014, 6:13 pm

How cool is this shot?

Tom H.
US Bank Plaza

Postby Tom H. » August 13th, 2014, 11:42 am

Looks like another large piece of structural steel is being installed at the east end of the site. Seems a little strange, since the animation (posted earlier) showed the cantilevered steel beam at the west end of the site being installed before the eastern one. It looks like both are supposed to be installed by the end of August, in any case.

nfschauer
Nicollet Mall

Postby nfschauer » August 13th, 2014, 12:05 pm

My dad works on the stadium and I was asking about why the steel was flip-flopped, I'll need to show him the video to explain. In any event, it does look as though they're building the green support on the West side of the stadium and the white triangle structures that will go outward on the West side look about complete.

MN_Build.org
Block E

Postby MN_Build.org » August 14th, 2014, 5:43 pm

Does anyone have any information on what exterior improvements will be made around the new stadium? In particular I am wondering if any improvements will be made with the Downtown East light rail station and the block it sits on? Seems as though this area is a little outdated. Something definitely needs to be done with the area above the underground parking ramp. Right now it is just concrete with footings every 10 feet or so. It would be a shame for this area to still be like this between the new stadium and the park to west of it.

Also wondering, with less significance, about the triangle that sits on the corner of Chicago ave. and 6th st? Right now there is just a rundown metrodome sign on this land. Seem like some greenery would be nice here.

Are any of these improvements planned with the new stadium project or is that going to be a separate project all together? I can't seem to find anything mentioned about it on the new stadium website nor the MN Sports Facilities website.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » August 14th, 2014, 7:40 pm

I was under the impression that the triangle above the parking ramp was supposed to be part of the Yard. You can see in the old renderings that it has park-y landscaping: http://stmedia.startribune.com/images/6 ... 051414.jpg

Rich
Rice Park

Postby Rich » August 15th, 2014, 8:35 am

Also wondering, with less significance, about the triangle that sits on the corner of Chicago ave. and 6th st? Right now there is just a rundown metrodome sign on this land. Seem like some greenery would be nice here.
5th Street east of Chicago will cease to be. And the triangles between 5th and 6th Streets will become part of the stadium property, where they’ll be filled mostly with trees and grass. The new stadium will have ten times more greenery and probably ten times more pedestrian space than the Metrodome had.

minnyapple
Nicollet Mall

Postby minnyapple » August 15th, 2014, 10:05 am

I came across this different live webcam view on Mortensons website last night.

http://www.mortenson.com/Home/Sports/Pr ... ium/Webcam

nickmgray
Union Depot

Postby nickmgray » August 15th, 2014, 10:48 am

This image is old, but the final street alignment will probably be very close to what's depicted here. It'll be intresting to see how this will affect daily traffic patterns into downtown since drivers wil be forced to go down to 7th is they come from 94.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » August 15th, 2014, 11:26 am

MnDOT/Mpls are planning to switch the 94 exit from 5th Street to 7th Street, and the existing ramp bridge will be repurposed as a connection to Cedar Riverside.

MN_Build.org
Block E

Postby MN_Build.org » August 15th, 2014, 4:04 pm

I see, yeah I have seen all of those renderings before. They are just a little old now and I was wondering if there had been anymore updates since the design phase? I remember that it seemed like the landscape design around Target field changed a half dozen times during construction, but the were updated made available to the public about it. It just makes me a little nervous that they aren't going to as ambitious as they were initially.