U.S. Bank Stadium

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
nBode
Union Depot

Re: U.S. Bank Stadium Construction Updates

Postby nBode » July 25th, 2016, 6:32 pm

I biked by today and there was some sort of event going on, with people entering the lower south side doors. Maybe the surface was for that (Couldn't tell what the event was).

Also, no broken windows.

bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Postby bapster2006 » July 25th, 2016, 7:05 pm

I was one of the people in the stadium today for a special tour. We went through all the clubs and the locker room. It was probably the only time I will look into the showers or stand in one of the special boxes by the field. It's impressive for sure.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » July 25th, 2016, 7:42 pm

With regards to the boxes on field level on the side lines. If anyones is considering buying those, don't. Worst seats in the stadium. You basically just get to watch the backups on the sideline. Terrible viewing. And I am sure a bunch of poor schmucks paid big bucks for those.

VikingFaninMaryland
Nicollet Mall

Postby VikingFaninMaryland » July 25th, 2016, 7:50 pm

Hiawatha, I don't think "venue" means what you think it means. But I get what you're saying.

I wonder how the football season will affect what events they'll be willing to schedule in the stadium from August through January. They can do some amazing things in rearranging the floor and playing surface, but it's not always fast or easily done. Switching back and forth in a matter of days has risks.
All they have to do is schedule an event when the Vikings have an away game. That creates a 2-week window.

Also, I think they will have to put down the floor barrier and on top of that the soccer pitch (real field turf).

Carson Dyle
City Center

Postby Carson Dyle » July 25th, 2016, 8:58 pm

This was late on Sunday. I guess it's possible that I misinterpreted and they were pulling it up and not putting it down...
Looking at the indoor camera at

http://www.earthcam.net/projects/minnes ... &mode=pano

It looks like they picked up much of the floor on Friday evening, then put it all back down again on Sunday. Right now they're setting up tables again, plus what looks like a runway to a round stage in the center.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » July 26th, 2016, 7:43 am

Also, I think they will have to put down the floor barrier and on top of that the soccer pitch (real field turf).
That's what I assumed. The football field would be a poor surface for soccer. Plus, aren't the field markings permanent on the Vikings field?

Record Machine
Metrodome

Postby Record Machine » July 26th, 2016, 8:07 am

I hope you're kidding...
Not at all. The men's rooms at TCF Stadium are a train wreck. Troughs are insanely efficient. Literally zero need for individual stalls for men.

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » July 26th, 2016, 10:17 am

I hope you're kidding...
Not at all. The men's rooms at TCF Stadium are a train wreck. Troughs are insanely efficient. Literally zero need for individual stalls for men.
I have to agree - troughs are very efficient at stadiums (stadia?) and they are MUCH cheaper ("everything" running to one sanitary outlet vs. MANY individual pipes, fixtures, etc.

I can confirm: bathrooms at TCF are terrible (unit urinals) but it also has to do with entry/egress through swing doors (instead of open spaces with screening walls like airport bathroom entries)

Other than leering, what are the objections to the trough?

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » July 26th, 2016, 10:20 am

What if someone sees my penis!

Or even worse, what if I see someone else's?

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » July 26th, 2016, 10:26 am

Speaking for the pee shy, no moar troughs.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » July 26th, 2016, 10:47 am

I believe that troughs are no longer compliant with the plumbing code. This may be for sanitary reasons, or may be because the plumbing code is written by plumbers who would rather install 8 urinals than one trough.

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » July 26th, 2016, 11:26 am

I believe that troughs are no longer compliant with the plumbing code. This may be for sanitary reasons, or may be because the plumbing code is written by plumbers who would rather install 8 urinals than one trough.
You have driven to the heart of the issue. I'm all for more union jobs but we have to find a way to build sustainably given the resources that we have left AND provide people with meaningful employment and sadly the kind of thinking that creates regulations requiring 8 urinals rather than one trough is antithetical to sustainability.

If the plumbing code weren't a barrier...

Trough WITH dividers!

'Twould be cheaper/more efficient AND provide privacy from leering.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » July 26th, 2016, 11:59 am

Am I the only one who hasn't had a substantial problem peeing at TCF? I've attended almost every home game since it opened, and can count on one hand the number of times I waited more than a minute to get a urinal.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » July 26th, 2016, 12:40 pm

I have also not found it to be a problem. Maybe I've just gotten lucky a couple dozen times in a row?
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » July 26th, 2016, 1:13 pm

Gopher season ticket holder for 9 years (and counting).

Bathroom situation isn't great for the reasons that I mentioned above that could have been solved at the space planning/budgeting phases along with a modern plumbing code.

The problem that I experience in my section area is the bathroom queues extending out across the concourse to the field side which creates log jams as lines of people moving in a perpendicular direction try to weave through each other. The line to get INTO the bathroom is the problem. You fight the traffic getting food/drinks to use the bathroom, then you fight the traffic for the bathrooms to get food/drinks.

Once you actually get in the room, the lines inside for the facility are okay. BUT, they'd be even more efficient with a trough...<grumble>

seamonster
Nicollet Mall

Postby seamonster » July 26th, 2016, 2:20 pm

As I told my brother, "Remember the good ol' days, when you'd wear shorts to the Metrodome, and feel the blowback spray from the kid next to you hit you in the shins as you stepped up to the pee trough? Yeah...that was awesome."

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » July 26th, 2016, 2:26 pm

https://sotastickco.com/collections/all ... 8081529607

The troughs have already made it to nostalgia T-shirt level.

MattW
Rice Park

Postby MattW » July 26th, 2016, 2:26 pm

As I told my brother, "Remember the good ol' days, when you'd wear shorts to the Metrodome, and feel the blowback spray from the kid next to you hit you in the shins as you stepped up to the pee trough? Yeah...that was awesome."
(plus) 1

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » July 26th, 2016, 4:45 pm

I have been a season ticket holder for the Gophers since TCF opened. Never had to wait more than a few minutes to pee. I also make a point to not go right at halftime. If you go during the course of the game, you don't miss much of the action on the field. I actually think a trough is much more inefficient, since it must cycle water thru constantly. When the bathrooms aren't busy, that is a huge waste of water.

VikingFaninMaryland
Nicollet Mall

Postby VikingFaninMaryland » July 26th, 2016, 5:40 pm

That's what I assumed. The football field would be a poor surface for soccer. Plus, aren't the field markings permanent on the Vikings field?
The current artificial turf can be modified to accommodate a soccer field - in fact, it was designed to do so. The permanent markings on the field can be removed and replaced with green turf. Some of the markings are not permanent and can be removed.

The reason for the natural grass is that the visiting teams demand a natural pitch to play on.