U.S. Bank Stadium

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
moda253
Nicollet Mall

Re: U.S. Bank Stadium

Postby moda253 » July 1st, 2015, 1:29 pm

It's kinda crazy how *little* we're hearing from the anti-development/big developer/etc contingency in Minneapolis about this whole thing. I know, powers that be are much higher/stronger in this case (and it's already a done deal). But man. A whole stadium was demolished (think of the material waste), with a much larger one with airplane-sized advertising going on and nary a peep. All the while folks show up to planning commission meetings to fight a parking variance request and talk about neighborhood character.

Anyway. Even for a stadium, this naming signage seems quite excessive.
More than 80% of the metrodome was recycled.

http://www.startribune.com/project-recy ... 252954591/

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » July 1st, 2015, 1:31 pm

Sure, recycling is great. But it requires a large amount of energy. Keeping an existing stadium is still significantly less resource and energy-intensive than demolishing a stadium (even if 80% is recycled) and building a new one in its place.

Reminds me of the statistic that the energy it takes to mine/process/build/transport a new car is roughly the equivalent to the average fuel that new car will burn in its first nine years.

moda253
Nicollet Mall

Postby moda253 » July 1st, 2015, 1:36 pm

Sure, recycling is great. But it requires a large amount of energy. Keeping an existing stadium is still significantly less resource and energy-intensive than demolishing a stadium (even if 80% is recycled) and building a new one in its place.

Reminds me of the statistic that the energy it takes to mine/process/build/transport a new car is roughly the equivalent to the average fuel that new car will burn in its first nine years.

We probably never should have rubbed two sticks together. The waste, destruction, and pollution since that day has been just devestating for the planet.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » July 1st, 2015, 1:49 pm

Rubbing two sticks together would produce more value to society than a new Vikings stadium, however.

moda253
Nicollet Mall

Postby moda253 » July 1st, 2015, 1:59 pm

Rubbing two sticks together would produce more value to society than a new Vikings stadium, however.

Oh now yer just being silly.

I'm sure there is some loss and an effect on the environment but those products that were reycled went to projects that were going to happen regardless. So those products were going to be made and transferred one way or another. And yeah it probably isn't a complete wash but still expecting the rest of the world to operate in a zero waste environment is pretty unrealistic. At some point that stadium was going to have to be replaced. It lived out it's intended lifesapn of 30 years. And while I don't believe there was any real imminent threat of the team leaving.... at some point they would eventually leave and without a major tenant the metrodome would have been torn down and the destruction was going to happen.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » July 1st, 2015, 2:03 pm

I think Alex's original point is that the rabid anti-development folks that think that no building should be torn down ever because of waste (nevermind that renovation creates a non zero amount of waste) were and have been noticeably silent on this issue. Almost like they don't actually care about zero waste, just stopping development.

So I think it was only tangentially related to the stadium.

Munch'n
Nicollet Mall

Postby Munch'n » July 1st, 2015, 8:39 pm

This got an update from the Chicago architecture blog.

http://www.chicagoarchitecture.org/2015 ... e-prairie/

"Valhalla on the prairie"
Meet me in Wells

moda253
Nicollet Mall

Postby moda253 » July 2nd, 2015, 3:54 pm

Poor job of reporting. IT won't be open until the 2016/17 season... I mean the 2015/16 season is only 2 months away so they'd better hustle to make that deadline!

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » July 15th, 2015, 8:38 pm

It was never totally clear to me why the price tag had to be $1 billion, but we're in pretty elite company.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/32e1bc54 ... s-stadiums

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » July 16th, 2015, 7:06 am

the commenter below that chicago arch blog post is rich:

"It’s a nightmarish boondoggle, a grotesque monument, an anti-avian thunderdome"

thunderdome! well it is a football stadium. seems u either love or loathe this building. but design wise
is it really grotesque? sports hold all cities hostage with their facility demands, so setting that aside i prefer
just viewing this building for how it relates to the city aesthetically.

Viktor Vaughn
Target Field

Postby Viktor Vaughn » July 16th, 2015, 7:46 am

"A grotesque monument" to misplaced priorities, broken politics, and submission to blackmail. You can't separate the building from how it got built. Architecture-wise, it's bound to be iconic. An icon is defined by 'a person or thing regarded as a representive symbol of something.' So just what does US Bank Stadium symbolize?

Hey, you brought it up.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » July 16th, 2015, 7:56 am

My vote is to rename the light rail station "Anti-Avian Thunderdome Station".

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » July 16th, 2015, 9:27 am

"A grotesque monument" to misplaced priorities, broken politics, and submission to blackmail. You can't separate the building from how it got built. Architecture-wise, it's bound to be iconic. An icon is defined by 'a person or thing regarded as a representive symbol of something.' So just what does US Bank Stadium symbolize?

Hey, you brought it up.
I think it symbolized that end of a glacial edge where a large heap of dark matter all piles up!! Just kidding. I myself like it and see bits of the alumni center at the U with it's slabs with angled glass windows fracturing the different facets of the walls.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » July 16th, 2015, 8:27 pm

Hey, you brought it up.
by your argument every structure ever built is iconic. you're letting your hatred of the stadium debate cloud your judgement. is it a good building or not? take off your political blinders.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » July 17th, 2015, 10:16 am

Jeff Anderson ‏@andersonj

U.S. Bank Stadium's roof ridge truss has been de-centered, meaning it's now supporting its own weight & relying on stadium structure.

https://twitter.com/andersonj/status/622059110809251840

I'd call this a major milestone! The design is growing on me more and more everyday. It will be interesting to see the interior open up with the supports removed.

UrbWave
City Center

Postby UrbWave » July 18th, 2015, 10:20 am

Looks like the skyway connection is going up.

twinkess
Target Field

Postby twinkess » July 18th, 2015, 12:39 pm

Looks like the skyway connection is going up.
I think LRT_OP_DUDE was saying that's why the light rail is closed downtown this weekend.

nfschauer
Nicollet Mall

Postby nfschauer » July 20th, 2015, 8:50 am

US Bank sign going up today, and seat delivery is set for August 10th.

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » July 20th, 2015, 8:54 am

US Bank sign going up today, and seat delivery is set for August 10th.
Where are they going to put signage up at this stage of construction? Seems way early for that.

nfschauer
Nicollet Mall

Postby nfschauer » July 20th, 2015, 8:55 am

Maybe should have been a bit more specific....They're having a naming rights event and the sign will be on the east side of the stadium, so the first of who knows how many! Too bad there are no webcams capturing that side, but I'm sure someone will be posting a pic soon.