U.S. Bank Stadium

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
fehler
Rice Park

Re: Minnesota Multi Purpose Stadium

Postby fehler » May 22nd, 2014, 8:32 pm

Considering AirBNB'ing my LRT accessible home for the week. Wonder what the going rates will be?

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » May 22nd, 2014, 8:40 pm

I've got some friends that are a couple blocks away, they're thinking the same.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » May 23rd, 2014, 7:35 am

I'd say it's a bigger deal than any singular large convention would be, but perhaps not as big of a deal as the Olympics (duh) or even the Final Four (although that's closer). It's certainly a bigger deal with more exposure than the All-Star Game for MLB here in 2014, and I'm excited for that.

This is good news everybody, not sure why people are being negative. Indy managed to get people talking about its city when it hosted the Super Bowl a couple years ago, so I'm sure Minneapolis can pull off the "dog and pony show" just as well when the time comes.

moda253
Nicollet Mall

Postby moda253 » May 23rd, 2014, 8:29 am

I'm going to have to disagree on the "national and international exposure," at least to people that aren't super in to sports. This isn't like the Olympics where Mary Carillo has time to go to Siberia for a human interest piece, it's a football game, as well as a lot of activities and press for people that are super into football.

Well you would be wrong. If it isn't the largest televised sporting event it is up there pretty dang high. People that don't watch football watch the superbowl. Because they attend the parties that people throw just to throw. The TV is on, and they watch the commercials or catch the blurbs about such and such happening in the city where it is happening. Now maybe you don't watch much or any of it ever. but there is a reason the ads cost so much to run on super bowl sunday.

moda253
Nicollet Mall

Postby moda253 » May 23rd, 2014, 8:33 am

I don't know, saying the game is going to have a national and international impact on our global image, when I have no knowledge about any city that has hosted a Super Bowl ever, it kind of makes me doubt that. I feel like the appeal to this is fairly limited to people that are just interested in football.

Not to poo poo on holding the Super Bowl here, because if you ignore the cost of the stadium it all sounds like not an awful deal, but I feel like maybe the impact is being overstated.
So basically you are saying you are ignorant and because you are ignorant what you think is obviously true?

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » May 23rd, 2014, 8:33 am

I know people watch the super bowl, but outside of some exterior shots of the stadium, does the host city feature at all during the actual game? Reporters aren't doing human interest pieces about the host city between downs, so I'm not sure where exactly this "exposure" is coming from, unless by exposure we literally mean that people will hear the words Minneapolis and Minnesota (they won't say St Paul).

nickmgray
Union Depot

Postby nickmgray » May 23rd, 2014, 9:31 am

The exposure comes mainly from news segments leading up to the event. It's nothing like the Olympics, but there will be stories about game day preparation and the NFL experience in the sports section of news shows across the country for 3-4 days leading up to the game.

on game day, there's probably a good 4-6 hours of pre-game coverage on TV where they interview players for other teams. They usually set up 2-3 stages across the city at landmarks so that the people watching don't have to see the same set for those 4-6 hours. This is where they might talk about the city a bit and highlight a specific landmark, but that's about it. They will most likely be spending a lot of time talking about the Vikings stadium as well.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » May 23rd, 2014, 9:42 am

yes the host city receives tons of media attention. for good and ill. remember how badly jacksonville was portrayed during the run up to their super bowl? espn and nfl network will be here all week doing live shows. the game that year will be on NBC. the various NBC shows will probably spend a week here or have numerous live and taped stories. Today show, tonight show, the evening news all will have presence. Jimmy Fallon will probaby do a week of shows from minneapolis.

and then all the various print and web based stories. the game itself will feature some live shots into and out of commercials.

Rich
Rice Park

Postby Rich » May 23rd, 2014, 10:17 am

The 21 most-watched TV shows ever in the U.S. are all Super Bowls. It’s clearly the biggest American media event. And when pregame coverage shifts from the game itself to the host city isn’t it usually ultra positive? It’ll be nothing but media celebs shown at interesting local venues interacting with charming people, with the theme of “look how much fun we’re having”.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » May 23rd, 2014, 11:30 am

Indy got a ton of positive press. Which was kind of surprising to me...
Towns!

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » May 23rd, 2014, 11:41 am

If Winter Carnival and Crashed Ice can be coordinated to go on in the week prior to the game day, that will go a long way. We didn't have LRT last time we hosted, it will help visitors get around town to events and hotels a heck of a lot better than last time. Now we just need to lift the ban on growler sales on Sunday and allow bars, clubs, restaurants to stay open later ... at least during the weeks surrounding the game day.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » May 23rd, 2014, 12:04 pm

They're doing something similar for the All-Star game by allowing (some) bars to stay open until 4:00 a.m. Personally, I don't know why we don't always allow this, as only a fraction of all bars will actually keep operations running until 4:00, if for no other reason than demand after 2:00 seriously starts to dwindle. If I had to guess I'd estimate that for every 10 people who are still out at 2:00 a.m. closing time, about 4 or 5 of them would stay out until 3:00 a.m., and maybe 2 or 3 of them until 4:00 a.m.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » May 23rd, 2014, 12:16 pm

They're doing something similar for the All-Star game by allowing (some) bars to stay open until 4:00 a.m. Personally, I don't know why we don't always allow this, as only a fraction of all bars will actually keep operations running until 4:00, if for no other reason than demand after 2:00 seriously starts to dwindle. If I had to guess I'd estimate that for every 10 people who are still out at 2:00 a.m. closing time, about 4 or 5 of them would stay out until 3:00 a.m., and maybe 2 or 3 of them until 4:00 a.m.
nah you just don't go out till later, at least that's my experience in Chicago and Reykjavik

BigIdeasGuy
Union Depot

Postby BigIdeasGuy » May 23rd, 2014, 12:49 pm

You have to remember that there are 2 weeks between the AFC and NFC championship games and the Super Bowl so in some ways it will be 2 weeks worth of coverage. I would guess that the 1st week will be pretty much sports networks only (ESPN/ESPN 2/ESPN The Ocho, NFL Network, NBC Sports will all be here) and they all need to fill 168 worth of content a week. There will be plenty of time for puff pieces about how the Twin Cities are doing hosting the Super Bowl. I would guess that most will take the easy way and it will be based on the weather but it's still going to be great press and free media for Minnesota.

3 more things:
1. I'm assuming the Target Center renovation is scheduled to be completed by then, because if it isn't it's going to be a big problem
2. The owners of the Armory would be crazy to not have their renovation completed by then. You're looking at a really unique event space right next to the new stadium, they could rent the thing out for BIG $$$
3. Is the new exit on 7th from 94 to downtown going to be completed by then? Because if people are still trying to use 5th it's going to be a mess. Along with that 5th from the new Stadium to Hennepin needs to become(hopefully permanently) a green pedestrian/transit mall by then as well.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » May 23rd, 2014, 12:53 pm

3. Is the new exit on 7th from 94 to downtown going to be completed by then? Because if people are still trying to use 5th it's going to be a mess.
That's happening next summer, and 5th will terminate at Chicago in a right angle, removing the weird double road of 5th/6th.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » May 23rd, 2014, 1:02 pm

Where are you guys getting the idea that Crashed Ice would be coordinated with the Super Bowl?

The NFL isn't going to let Red Bull come in and piggyback on the publicity of the league's marquee event. It's called ambush marketing, and I'd be shocked if there wasn't a requirement preventing host cities from allowing competing events. MLB has a similar agreement with the All-Star Game this summer.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 23rd, 2014, 1:14 pm

Good thing Crashed Ice is in St. Paul. I guess sometimes it is convenient to have two core cities. Bring it on!
Not sure how this is ambush marketing. It's not like they'd be taking over the yard or anywhere near it. They'd just be capitalizing on other events. Synergy.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » May 23rd, 2014, 1:17 pm

It'd probably be pretty impossible to get a hotel room for crashed ice if the Super Bowl is also in town. I assume people come from far enough for that to need a hotel, right?

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » May 23rd, 2014, 1:18 pm

Now we just need to lift the ban on growler sales on Sunday and allow bars, clubs, restaurants to stay open later ... at least during the weeks surrounding the game day.
I wonder if the NFL knew when it made its decision that unless the law is changed, it will be illegal to buy beer during the Super Bowl in the host city. The ban really needs to be lifted before then or the media coverage will quickly start mocking Minneapolis for the ridiculousness. It's the type of thing that reinforces the perception of Minneapolis as some fly over backwater to people on the coasts
Last edited by ECtransplant on May 23rd, 2014, 1:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 23rd, 2014, 1:18 pm

Maybe that was part of the plan... they can make more money by vending beer.