U.S. Bank Stadium

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
IllogicalJake
Target Field

Re: Minnesota Multi Purpose Stadium

Postby IllogicalJake » May 22nd, 2014, 10:42 am

Did a little checking. The JW Marriott in Indianapolis was proposed in 2007 as part of the Indianapolis Convention Center redesign. Indianapolis did not win the SuperBowl bid until May of 2008. As i said. proposed hotel project will probably be pushed through faster to make sure they are ready for the event, but no one in their right mind would say "we're getting the superbowl, we should build a hotel." There has to be enough market demand in place on a regular basis since it takes a decade or two to recuperate the initial cost of building a hotel.
You're right – the JW was proposed in 2007 along with Lucas Oil Stadium's construction, RCA Dome's destruction, and the redesigned CC.

Indy also suffered from a lack of hotel rooms. I don't think that's as much an issue here. But with all of the development surrounding Vikings Stadium right now that's still unfinalized, I don't see any outlandishness in a hotel being included in there. It's a new major events area that's only going to bring more people downtown.

Of course, now cue the "10 times a year" people to say none of it's worth it..
i talk too much. web dev, downtown. admin @ tower.ly

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » May 22nd, 2014, 10:43 am

So as someone that doesn't care about sports, what does the SuperBowl bring other than a single game? It sounds like quite a bit more.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » May 22nd, 2014, 10:54 am

So as someone that doesn't care about sports, what does the SuperBowl bring other than a single game? It sounds like quite a bit more.
This reminds me of the story about give a man a fish or teach a man to fish. If one can't find something out of all the events and the extra Winter Carnival events, then one wonders what exactly might amusement you find for yourself. If one is dead set in believing that there is nothing there for them, then there won't be. My advise for anyone who thinks this won't bring them any enjoyment is go make your own.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 22nd, 2014, 10:56 am

This SuperBowl comment delete was sponsored by GoDaddy and Bud Light. Go Pack!
Last edited by mattaudio on May 22nd, 2014, 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » May 22nd, 2014, 10:58 am

That's... not what I was asking. I don't care about football, so I will be staying away from the Super Bowl, but I'm aware that other people care about it.

My question was literally "what does the SuperBowl bring." Not for me, but just what does it bring? There's something about a tent? What events are there? I have no concept of a Super Bowl beyond t game, and it's obviously more than that, so I'm wondering what events happen around a Super Bowl besides the actual game? People are talking about how this is going to spotlight the city as if it were an Olympic games, but I don't know anything more about Indianapolis after them holding a Super Bowl other than that they held a Super Bowl, so I'm wondering if this is going to bring the wide demographic attention to the city as some people think it will.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » May 22nd, 2014, 11:11 am

Hopefully, it won't be -20 degrees on February 4, 2018. That's what most people will remember about our city ;)

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » May 22nd, 2014, 11:17 am

FMP,

The Super Bowl is a week long event. During the week, the teams, NFL owners/front office people, all the media, and some fans will be in town for the entire week. Most fans will be in town for a long weekend. One of the big events that takes up a lot of space is the NFL Experience. In that, you have all sorts of different games you can play (throwing accuracy, punting, field goals, etc..) Many major networks will have studios assembled near the stadium. There are also all sorts of parties put on by corporate sponsors. Fund raisers for associated non-profits. All of this gets bigger and bigger as the week goes by and gets closer to the big game. Also, it isnt just the 72,000 fans in the stadium that comes to town. Media from every imaginable network sends people to the host city. And most of those are support staff that will not actually attend the game, but will need a hotel, places to eat, places to drink. And a lot of that is on the company dollar, so they arent afraid to spend.

Sorry if I rambled, but this is what I know just from following Super Bowls of the past from the comfort of my couch. Never actually been to one.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » May 22nd, 2014, 11:18 am

It also bring national and global exposure. If the host city plays their cards right, they can really show off their city instead of just having everything focused on the stadium like when the Cowboys host.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » May 22nd, 2014, 12:36 pm

With the hotels now proposed and those that are being refurbished or will for sure be in St. Paul and those new hotels out at MOA, I don't see and room deficit for the games that can't be accessed by the LRT. This does not include the Bloomington Strip and other hotels in the area. But if you have the money for SB tickets you will be staying DT or DT St. Paul or at the MOA hotels for sure. Again by 2018 what has been proposed and are now being built will be more than enough to cover the SB.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » May 22nd, 2014, 1:14 pm

Regardless of the super bowl, I think we still need one legit luxury hotel. I know the Conrad might be moving forward but the market could still use a Four Seasons/Ritz/Park Hyatt level hotel.
Towns!

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » May 22nd, 2014, 1:18 pm

I'm going to have to disagree on the "national and international exposure," at least to people that aren't super in to sports. This isn't like the Olympics where Mary Carillo has time to go to Siberia for a human interest piece, it's a football game, as well as a lot of activities and press for people that are super into football.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » May 22nd, 2014, 2:04 pm

Eh, I pretty much avoid football like the plague and know nothing about it...but around that time of the year I can't help but know what city the Super Bowl is in, what is happening there, etc... It is in the news constantly.

That said, let's just hope temps are around average at least for that time of the year, in the upper 20s...or we will never hear the end of it.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » May 22nd, 2014, 2:07 pm

But there is still going to be national news coverage that technically won't reallybe about sports but more about the event and the various parties, let alone merchandise. It might even lead the national news stories, especially on slower days.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » May 22nd, 2014, 2:09 pm

I'm going to have to disagree on the "national and international exposure," at least to people that aren't super in to sports. This isn't like the Olympics where Mary Carillo has time to go to Siberia for a human interest piece, it's a football game, as well as a lot of activities and press for people that are super into football.
I disagree. Even the most casual of sports fans follow the Super Bowl. People may not watch any sports at all during the year, but they will hear a lot about the Super Bowl.

mulad

Postby mulad » May 22nd, 2014, 2:22 pm

The Olympics last something like 17 days including the opening/closing ceremonies, and have things going on at many venues in parallel. The Super Bowl is focused around one event at one venue on one day, though there would certainly be other things going on in the preceding days (maybe a few afterward too).

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » May 22nd, 2014, 2:43 pm

The Olympics last something like 17 days including the opening/closing ceremonies, and have things going on at many venues in parallel. The Super Bowl is focused around one event at one venue on one day, though there would certainly be other things going on in the preceding days (maybe a few afterward too).
Did anyone actually compare the game to the Olympics? Of course they're not the same thing. But the Super Bowl has been growing over the past several decades and is only continuing that trend. Of course that won't change the fact that it's largely US-focused.

We could debate back and forth about the impact of the Super Bowl all day. My advice to everyone is to read up on the events that occured in each Super Bowl city leading up to the game in recent years, and the impact it had or didn't have. That's the real way to get an assessment of what to expect. Otherwise, arguing about who will and won't care about the game is a bit pointless, isn't it?
i talk too much. web dev, downtown. admin @ tower.ly

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » May 22nd, 2014, 2:49 pm

With the hotels now proposed and those that are being refurbished or will for sure be in St. Paul and those new hotels out at MOA, I don't see and room deficit for the games that can't be accessed by the LRT. This does not include the Bloomington Strip and other hotels in the area. But if you have the money for SB tickets you will be staying DT or DT St. Paul or at the MOA hotels for sure. Again by 2018 what has been proposed and are now being built will be more than enough to cover the SB.
Requirements to host a Super Bowl:
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/inde ... 423AAyvNlj

1) Stadium seating capacity: 70,000 seats.
2) Hotel rooms: 25,000 within an hour's drive.
3) Weather: Average high temperature in early February must be at least 50 degrees or the stadium must have a dome.
4) Space: Enough to hold a media center and the NFL Experience theme park.
5) Staffing: Three times above the level for a normal sellout crowd.
6) Power: Provide power at no cost to the NFL, television networks and other media.
7) Advertising: Give the NFL the ability to cover existing stadium advertising during the game and replace it with its own advertising.

It seems you can find that number vary a bit when searching (as I found 19,000 up to 25,000 mentioned).

Minnesota's bid for the 2018 Super Bowl includes a commitment for 19,000 full-service rooms at more than 180 hotels across the Twin Cities — and a long list of requirements from the National Football League.
http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/b ... l?page=all

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » May 22nd, 2014, 3:36 pm

I don't know, saying the game is going to have a national and international impact on our global image, when I have no knowledge about any city that has hosted a Super Bowl ever, it kind of makes me doubt that. I feel like the appeal to this is fairly limited to people that are just interested in football.

Not to poo poo on holding the Super Bowl here, because if you ignore the cost of the stadium it all sounds like not an awful deal, but I feel like maybe the impact is being overstated.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » May 22nd, 2014, 3:37 pm

So it's settled then?

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » May 22nd, 2014, 4:10 pm

70,000 seat will not equate into 70,000 rooms even with the media and networks. As in the past and in other cities you will have people renting out their apartments or condo's was well as empty apartments for the week or days up to the SB. I see the LRT as a way for guests to get around as most of the activities will be centered in the 3 areas that I talked about earlier. St. Paul will been for the winter experience with an early winter carnival, the Red Bull Crush course, possibly some hockey. Minneapolis will have plenty of stuff at the convention center , the mega tent, and I would say now there is a business case for putting money into the Amory to use that as a SB venue and also as a facility for other uses. But us the SB as a pump prime for money to get that building up to par and back into regular uses. Bloomington will have the airport and the MOA even though I doubt the NFL will want to do much with that facility. But I'm sure that MOA will do what they can to tie themselves into the SB mania to get people to come to the mall sometime during the weekend. I just hope they require the taxis to all be upgraded before the SB as a majority are sub par at the moment.

No matter how global this gets, the Metropolitan area will be getting a large stimulus of cash coming into the cities. While some will be drained off by corporate coffers, many restaurants and retailers will actually see a spike in their sales and hopefully will make what was a slow winter and give it a nice boost to get them into spring. I do see some media coverage of the city happening as TV stations and print do up the winter SB which it generally is not. Just look at all the stories about how the weather was going to affect the New York games due to the polar vortex and what the temps would be. I will help us have our 15 minutes of fame. Hopefully it will fill our tax receipts too while people are spending.