U.S. Bank Stadium

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
HuskyGrad
Union Depot

Re: U.S. Bank Stadium Construction Updates

Postby HuskyGrad » May 3rd, 2016, 10:38 am

Hahaha bait and switch...... really????? It's a friggen video board. Design elements change during the process at times. It isn't like tehre hasn't been a ton of upgrades to the building during the process but yeah they were just hoping that nobody was going to notice that they promised media mesh and then switched to a standard board.
Well it's most certainly an update that takes away from the stadium architecturally. Media mesh would have been a great solution to balance architecture and revenue.

Here's some info on the technology.
http://www.daktronics.com/Web%20Documen ... 645309.pdf

Drizzay
Metrodome

Postby Drizzay » May 3rd, 2016, 11:31 am

They have the markings down on the asphalt for the turf sections. You get an idea of how close the stands will be to the field.

It will be nice to finally see some green inside the stadium.

moda253
Nicollet Mall

Postby moda253 » May 3rd, 2016, 3:24 pm

Hahaha bait and switch...... really????? It's a friggen video board. Design elements change during the process at times. It isn't like tehre hasn't been a ton of upgrades to the building during the process but yeah they were just hoping that nobody was going to notice that they promised media mesh and then switched to a standard board.
Well it's most certainly an update that takes away from the stadium architecturally. Media mesh would have been a great solution to balance architecture and revenue.

Here's some info on the technology.
http://www.daktronics.com/Web%20Documen ... 645309.pdf
Yeah I know what the tech is but is this really that noteworthy? At least it isn't those god awful LED stacks at the guthrie.

J2K
Metrodome

Postby J2K » May 3rd, 2016, 4:10 pm

Media mesh looks like crap anyways. That's what the Twins have at Target Field and it's called the Twins tower or something like that. It's located in the outfield in right field next to the parking ramp and there's a clock on top. Not a good look IMO.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » May 3rd, 2016, 4:22 pm

Seriously. Everyone here hates fun. I think our city should be bright and playful and energetic. Led lights and screens do just that, and so does media mesh to an extent. Does anyone really know how often it will be used and at what brightness? They're just testing it right now.

MN Fats
Union Depot

Postby MN Fats » May 3rd, 2016, 5:52 pm

Just a guess, but I would think it would be similar to those on Xcel Energy Center... does anyone know if those run 24/7?

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » May 3rd, 2016, 6:03 pm

They're usually on, but not that bright. There are just plain digital billboards in areas of the city as well.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Re: RE: Re: U.S. Bank Stadium Construction Updates

Postby FISHMANPET » May 3rd, 2016, 6:37 pm

Seriously. Everyone here hates fun. I think our city should be bright and playful and energetic. Led lights and screens do just that, and so does media mesh to an extent. Does anyone really know how often it will be used and at what brightness? They're just testing it right now.
I had fun once, it was awful

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » May 3rd, 2016, 10:17 pm

I love the Guthrie LED stacks. I like the Twins tower. I think this video board looks tacky—and tacked on!—as all hell.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

VikingFaninMaryland
Nicollet Mall

Postby VikingFaninMaryland » May 3rd, 2016, 11:21 pm

It is Minneapolis Moda... We are not used to "bait and switch" UPGRADES around here. Usually it's downgraded materials, etc. when changes occur.
Fully Agree. I have no problem with MediaMesh, but a full HD LED board is a qualitative upgrade from the Mesh. What surprises me is that they don't seem to have thought to put media mesh on the back side of the stadium facing the interstate. There sure is a big black wall well positioned for ad revenue.

VikingFaninMaryland
Nicollet Mall

Postby VikingFaninMaryland » May 3rd, 2016, 11:25 pm

Media mesh looks like crap anyways. That's what the Twins have at Target Field and it's called the Twins tower or something like that. It's located in the outfield in right field next to the parking ramp and there's a clock on top. Not a good look IMO.
There are levels of quality of mesh. If you go to Time Square, you can see some pretty high quality full color mesh in front of building w. windows.

moda253
Nicollet Mall

Postby moda253 » May 4th, 2016, 7:40 am

It is Minneapolis Moda... We are not used to "bait and switch" UPGRADES around here. Usually it's downgraded materials, etc. when changes occur.
Fully Agree. I have no problem with MediaMesh, but a full HD LED board is a qualitative upgrade from the Mesh. What surprises me is that they don't seem to have thought to put media mesh on the back side of the stadium facing the interstate. There sure is a big black wall well positioned for ad revenue.
I actually hope they don't do an LED ad board on that side as I have to drive by there daily and as it is heading south on 35w is already a PITA without added distraction.

nfschauer
Nicollet Mall

Postby nfschauer » May 9th, 2016, 8:13 am

Turf installation to begin this week! Will be fun to watch on the interior cams.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » May 11th, 2016, 9:34 am

Some Nordic Village-inspired art coming to stadium plaza: http://www.startribune.com/minnesota-vi ... 378897221/

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » May 11th, 2016, 11:05 am

Pretty bland and corporate for a signature piece of public art.

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » May 11th, 2016, 12:06 pm

Pretty bland and corporate for a signature piece of public art.
My thoughts exactly. This isn't so much an artwork as just a Medtronic billboard.

BBMplsMN
Nicollet Mall

Postby BBMplsMN » May 11th, 2016, 12:46 pm

I'll reserve final judgement until I can see it in person, but I really like this sculpture. I like the movement, the mirrors and the LEDs. And I like that you can walk inside it rather than just look at it. I could do without the Medtronic logo on the adjacent piece, but I can live with that. Didn't they sponsor the entire plaza, so the Medtronic name would be somewhere anyways. I wish we had more large-scale sculptures around the downtown area.

nBode
Union Depot

Postby nBode » May 11th, 2016, 11:08 pm

^I agree.

illman00
City Center

Postby illman00 » May 12th, 2016, 4:45 pm

This is on the video board right now...

seanrichardryan
IDS Center