Postby dajazz » March 3rd, 2017, 10:26 pm

Yup, that is definitely going to be the West Elm hotel

dajazz
Nicollet Mall

Re: West Elm Hotel

Postby dajazz » March 24th, 2017, 6:04 pm

Article on the hotel:

http://www.startribune.com/west-elm-pla ... 417052224/

Doesn't specify the location but I'm confident it will be the surface lots on 1st St across from Aria that were just sold. My guess is the store/showroom will be part of the Foundry development since the same developer is doing both.

ztr421
Nicollet Mall

Postby ztr421 » March 29th, 2017, 8:14 am

A thing I found. Probably just one of several proposals? But it gives a sense of what they're planning.

https://issuu.com/lja-wai/docs/semper_w ... posal_hire

dajazz
Nicollet Mall

Postby dajazz » March 29th, 2017, 8:25 am

Interesting that the proposal was for a 9 story building, I thought the maximum height for new infill in this area was 6 stories?

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » March 29th, 2017, 8:25 am

That proposal is 9 floors... "It's too tall and doesn't fit the neighborhood!" haha! jk. This looks great!

The floor plans in this are split between hotel and condos. Did we know this is mixed?

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » March 29th, 2017, 8:32 am

That parking entrance on 1st hopefully doesn't happen. Just use the back like everyone else.

dajazz
Nicollet Mall

Postby dajazz » March 29th, 2017, 11:39 am

That proposal is 9 floors... "It's too tall and doesn't fit the neighborhood!" haha! jk. This looks great!

The floor plans in this are split between hotel and condos. Did we know this is mixed?
I hate to be that person but....it's too tall and doesn't fit the neighborhood. It really sticks out in the view of it looking towards the river, especially with the 2-3 story buildings across the street next to Aria. Don't get me wrong, I like the design and it would work great on Washington Ave, but in this area I think they should chop 3 floors off. Get rid of the condos, just make it a hotel and be done with it.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » March 29th, 2017, 11:43 am

Looking towards the river from where, (almost no one can actually achieve that vantage point) and who owns that view? It would be a more valid argument if it was imposing on the river parkway... shadowing the bike way etc etc.

Also isn't this right next to the taller federal reserve bank? I don't think it will be out of place especially with a 6 story development planned just across the street.

*I also don't think any of the local business owners would be upset with more homeowners in the area.

dajazz
Nicollet Mall

Postby dajazz » March 29th, 2017, 11:55 am

Looking towards the river from where, and who owns that view? It would be a more valid argument if it was imposing on the river parkway... shadowing the bike way etc etc.

Also isn't this right next to the taller federal reserve bank? I don't think it will be out of place especially with a 6 story development planned just across the street.

*I also don't think any of the local business owners would be upset with more homeowners in the area.
I'm referring to page 25 of the proposal posted above, the bottom right photo shows an aerial image towards the river and gives an idea of the mass of the building.

The fed is the same height, 9 stories, but it's set back, on 1st street it's only 2 stories, and across from the hotel/condo it's only 3 stories. The planned 6 story development isn't exactly right across the street, it's on 2nd street, the Foundry building will be rehabbed and any new infill next to it will only be 2-3 stories.

I just checked and sure enough the Warehouse District Design Guidelines (page 30) state that the height of any new buildings in this area shall be between 2 and 6 stories.

http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/www/gro ... 264805.pdf

dajazz
Nicollet Mall

Postby dajazz » March 29th, 2017, 12:01 pm

Also, regarding the river view, technically the North Loop Master Plan lists the new Federal Reserve Bank as focal point/landmark and says the view corridor towards it should be enhanced and preserved (page 43)

http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/www/gro ... 277702.pdf

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » March 29th, 2017, 12:09 pm

Looking towards the river from where, and who owns that view? It would be a more valid argument if it was imposing on the river parkway... shadowing the bike way etc etc.

I'm referring to page 25 of the proposal posted above, the bottom right photo shows an aerial image towards the river and gives an idea of the mass of the building.

The fed is the same height, 9 stories, but it's set back, on 1st street it's only 2 stories, and across from the hotel/condo it's only 3 stories. The planned 6 story development isn't exactly right across the street, it's on 2nd street, the Foundry building will be rehabbed and any new infill next to it will only be 2-3 stories.

I just checked and sure enough the Warehouse District Design Guidelines (page 30) state that the height of any new buildings in this area shall be between 2 and 6 stories.

Right, but only a drone would be able to achieve that vantage point. It's not technically blocking the river.

I'm not disagreeing that the height guidelines are there... I'm disagreeing with them in general. It's two blocks from the 1st ave towers, 1 from federal and 1 from 3* new and 1 proposed 6 story buildings, not too mention if the lot behind bachelor farmer ever gets developed. I just don't think it's as big of a sore thumb as you're making it out to be... that's only 30 to 40 feet taller than a bunch of buildings in the surrounding area.

I'm also not saying I wouldn't be happy with a shorter version, I just don't think this is too tall.
Last edited by Nathan on March 29th, 2017, 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » March 29th, 2017, 12:12 pm

Also, regarding the river view, technically the North Loop Master Plan lists the new Federal Reserve Bank as focal point/landmark and says the view corridor towards it should be enhanced and preserved (page 43)

Maverick totally made this irrelevant, as you can't see it at all from Hennepin northbound and the set back makes any view corridor down 1st impossible as the historic buildings and 6 story allowed building would also completely cover it.

dajazz
Nicollet Mall

Postby dajazz » March 29th, 2017, 12:27 pm

Right, but only a drone would be able to achieve that vantage point. It's not technically blocking the river.

I'm not disagreeing that the height guidelines are there... I'm disagreeing with them in general. It's two blocks from the 1st ave towers, 1 from federal and 1 from 3* new and 1 proposed 6 story buildings, not too mention if the lot behind bachelor farmer ever gets developed. I just don't think it's as big of a sore thumb as you're making it out to be... that's only 30 to 40 feet taller than a bunch of buildings in the surrounding area.

I'm also not saying I wouldn't be happy with a shorter version, I just don't think this is too tall.
Sorry, I should have clarified earlier, I didn't mean the actual view of the river I was only referencing the image in the proposal that was angled to the river, to me that image showed just how big the building would be in comparison to the other buildings.

Fair enough. Personally I like that this area doesn't have that much height. To me it seems out of place in the immediate block, the Foster House next to it is only 2 stories, the building on the other side is the same, meanwhile you'd have a huge 9 story in the middle.
Last edited by dajazz on March 29th, 2017, 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dajazz
Nicollet Mall

Postby dajazz » March 29th, 2017, 12:29 pm

Maverick totally made this irrelevant, as you can't see it at all from Hennepin northbound and the set back makes any view corridor down 1st impossible as the historic buildings and 6 story allowed building would also completely cover it.
True, but the document doesn't reference that angle at all, it specifically points out an angle coming from the SW to the NE that would be close to where this development is going to be.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » March 29th, 2017, 12:36 pm

True, but the document doesn't reference that angle at all, it specifically points out an angle coming from the SW to the NE that would be close to where this development is going to be.
And as I said, any 3 to 6 story building (allowed height) In this location would also completely block the federal reserve bank because of its setback... making it pretty irrelevant.

http://imgur.com/svP7yTg

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » March 29th, 2017, 12:43 pm

Hey, look, another set of guidelines that's ridiculous on its face. Funny how they keep popping up.
Last edited by amiller92 on March 29th, 2017, 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » March 29th, 2017, 12:45 pm

Fair enough. Personally I like that this area doesn't have that much height.
That's nice. Personally I'd like more people to be able to live there.

dajazz
Nicollet Mall

Postby dajazz » March 29th, 2017, 12:53 pm

Fair enough. Personally I like that this area doesn't have that much height.
That's nice. Personally I'd like more people to be able to live there.
Then you plan to protest that a hotel is being built instead of all condos/apartments?

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » March 29th, 2017, 1:09 pm

For the most part, space inside urban buildings is fungible. If this is not built because you don't want a hotel, that puts pressure on a hotel elsewhere within this neighborhood, which further raises housing costs and pushes people out.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » March 29th, 2017, 4:22 pm

A couple things to note. Based on the plans in the link, the building we are seeing is just the hotel. Condos would be a separate building next door, not on top of the hotel itself.

With regards to the Fed, the Fed is still an office building, so those 9 stories are going to be a lot taller than a 9 story hotel building. Also, the focal point of the fed is on the opposite side as this building would be. The side of the fed facing this development is just a bland office wall. Nothing special or significant.