Archive Apartments - 110 1st Street N

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Cat385
Metrodome

Re: Archive Apartments - 110 1st Street N

Postby Cat385 » July 11th, 2021, 5:03 pm

This is such a site sensitive building. It looks fresh, but it also looks like it belongs with it's older neighbors. Too bad the passageway under the mid section of the building ends in a blank fortress wall of the Federal Reserve. A little pocket park could make that passage downright magical. It will be interesting to see how active the passageway becomes once this is occupied.
The Fed does have a grass slope with a few trees just to the west of the alleyway across the street. They only use it for K9 training and, once a year, they live scenario train and pepper spray the new recruits. Maybe they could share?
Probably not….

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Archive Apartments - 110 1st Street N

Postby alexschief » July 27th, 2021, 9:33 am

It's a great building. Something I like about it is that you know it's new, but it's not especially obvious how new it is. The design is timeless in a way. They did a great job with it.

I love the cut-through, although I think it's funny that several apartments appear to open up onto it? Must be weird to live in one of those. Something that I also found interesting is how the Archive completely changes the character of Azine Alley. In this weekend's sun and heat, it almost felt almost Southern European, with the tan brick of the Fed and the red brick of the Archive, the mostly-blank walls on both sides, and the narrowness of the street really standing out from everywhere else in downtown. Dumping the Archive in front of the Fed really blocks the awful anti-urban design of that building from contaminating the area.