Gaviidae Common / Downtown YMCA

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Gaviidae Common / Downtown YMCA

Postby mnmike » November 17th, 2016, 9:12 am

They are making the windows bigger on the top floors (so that won't really match) in the old Saks building....I just hate how this is chopped up into so many owners.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » December 6th, 2016, 9:07 am

Not sure if this is different than what was shown before, but this rendering of the signage was attached to a DMNA email this morning:
http://www.thedmna.org/wp-content/uploa ... design.pdf

Silophant

Postby Silophant » December 6th, 2016, 9:24 am

Ah, that's much better than the giant Y shown originally. Although, now that they're modifying the 7th St side to have larger 4th floor windows, I'd prefer that they just go all the way around the building so it matches.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Silophant

Postby Silophant » December 6th, 2016, 6:33 pm

Updates from DMNA meeting:

1st and 2nd floors (6th St corner) will be used for health and wellness activities. Will still look like storefronts.

3rd and 4th floors: The Y only bought the Gaviidae portion of these floors, not the portion above Walgreens. They do have the entire 5th floor though. Complex!

The central escalators between 2 and 3 will be replaced by stairs, because fitness.

The atrium will not be filled in, but have bridges built across it to improve circulation. I'm a little concerned about how that will work out.

The Y apparently owns the 4th-floor skyway, and would like to use it for something creative, but... apparently the city's skyway standards do not allow for the actual bridges to be used for anything but walking. Hopefully they can get an exception, as this is kinda a special case.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » December 7th, 2016, 6:32 pm

Story on United Properties moving their HQ to Gaviidae:

http://www.startribune.com/united-prope ... 405329006/

thatchio
Nicollet Mall

Postby thatchio » December 17th, 2016, 9:30 pm

Could a skyway that is only to be used for walking be used for treadmills?

nowhouse
Block E

Postby nowhouse » December 18th, 2016, 1:32 pm

Treadmills! Brilliant.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » March 1st, 2017, 1:21 pm

YMCA application to plaster Y everywhere they can is before the CPC on 2/6.
http://minneapolismn.gov/www/groups/pub ... 194865.pdf

Staff recommendation:

A. Conditional use permit to allow a dynamic sign.
Recommended Motion: Approve the application for a conditional use permit to allow a dynamic sign, subject to the following conditions:

1. The conditional use permit shall be recorded with Hennepin County as required by Minn. Stat. 462.3595, subd. 4 before building permits may be issued or before the use or activity requiring a conditional use permit may commence. Unless extended by the zoning administrator, the conditional use permit shall expire if it is not recorded within two years of approval.
2. To ensure the sign would not be confused with a traffic signal, it shall not be located in the first or second window bay starting from 6th Street South.
3. Unless otherwise authorized by the City Planning Commission, the sign shall comply with all requirements of Chapter 543 of the zoning code.
B. Variance of the dynamic sign standards for duration.
Recommended motion: Deny the application for a variance of the dynamic sign standards to allow sign messages that remain static for a period of less than 60 seconds.

C. Variance of the dynamic sign standards for luminance.
Recommended motion: Deny the application for a variance of the dynamic sign standards to allow the dynamic sign to display messages or be illuminated when the use is closed.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » July 26th, 2017, 11:13 am

They installed the bridge on the 4th floor.

Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » July 26th, 2017, 11:20 am

Ouch.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » July 26th, 2017, 11:20 am

Be nice is they hung some artwork off of the bottom or etc. Even some sort of lights to take your eyes off of the bottom of the bridge. I've always loved looking up in the building.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » July 26th, 2017, 11:21 am

I had a really hard time interpreting the plans as to actually how many bridges and where...and are the stairs connecting going in the atrium, or just outside? I sure hope when this is done they lease up the 1st and 2nd floor space to something interesting.

transplant
Metrodome

Postby transplant » July 26th, 2017, 4:46 pm

I have not idea what the final product will look like but the bridge in this picture is not done. It needs guard rails and will probably need to fire proof the steel so I am guessing it will be clad with something to hide the fire proofing.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » July 26th, 2017, 6:08 pm

I had a really hard time interpreting the plans as to actually how many bridges and where...and are the stairs connecting going in the atrium, or just outside? I sure hope when this is done they lease up the 1st and 2nd floor space to something interesting.
As I understand the plans, the central escalators from 2 to 3 in the middle of the atrium, which have been removed, will be replaced with stairs in that same location. A bridge across the atrium on level three will be constructed, right above the bottom of those stairs. A set of stairs will be built from that bridge up to level four, on the south/east (away from Nicollet) side. Then, a set of stairs will be built from the level four bridge up to level five, on the Nicollet side.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » November 3rd, 2017, 12:49 pm

If you're a fan of the atrium, avoid at all costs.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » November 3rd, 2017, 12:55 pm

Meh, it's better than what they could have done to it, but those staircases are harsh.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » November 3rd, 2017, 1:17 pm

I mean, at least it's not a surface parking lot ;)

Silophant

Postby Silophant » November 3rd, 2017, 1:27 pm

I'm so confused about the staircases. Will there actually be exercise machines and whatever running right up to the atrium railing that they couldn't have put those staircases where the escalators used to be?
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » November 3rd, 2017, 1:52 pm

I'm so confused about the staircases. Will there actually be exercise machines and whatever running right up to the atrium railing that they couldn't have put those staircases where the escalators used to be?
Floor Plans

seamonster
Nicollet Mall

Postby seamonster » January 29th, 2018, 6:04 pm

The pool will not be open until 2/5/18 or so, but this is mostly a remarkable upgrade from the LaSalle location. The locker room is great - no need to bring a padlock. All new exercise equipment. The gymnasium is significantly smaller, but nicer. I did not try the virtual reality exercise equipment, but did relax in the hydro-massage chair for a bit. Nice! I suspect an uptick in memberships, though a December opening would have helped, resolutions and all.