Peavey Plaza

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
612transplant
Nicollet Mall

Re: Peavey Plaza reconstruction project

Postby 612transplant » November 20th, 2012, 6:14 pm

^^^ A much better proposal and having a restaurant is a great idea. Now, can there be a compromise between all the stakeholders in this renovation project :?:
I don't know if there needs to be any "compromise" if this thing gets listed on the NRHP, per se. But, I think a big part of the goal is maintaining the signature fountains...

Uptown46
Metrodome

Postby Uptown46 » November 20th, 2012, 7:55 pm

The Preservation Alliance of Minnesota also had an update on their blog yesterday:

http://www.mnpreservation.org/2012/11/1 ... vey-plaza/

Apparently the Alliance is going into some sort of mediation with the city in early December from the lawsuit they filed against the Peavey demolition.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » November 21st, 2012, 9:27 am

You had me second guessing my memory here, so I googled it:

http://tclf.org/news/features/charles-b ... -proposals

I think this was Friedberg's official "bridge burning" with the city on this project, and the juncture at which we started referring to the city's endorsed redesign project as "Oslund's."

Granted, that link is a little bit ambiguous about whether Friedberg and Birnbaum were ok with the project when they submitted it to the city, but at least they absolved themselves eventually...
Ah, interesting, kinda seems like the city was going through the motions, but just trying to power through this...

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » November 21st, 2012, 6:41 pm

Ah, interesting, kinda seems like the city was going through the motions, but just trying to power through this...
Exactly. Corrupt process to please a few Orchestra Hall Docents footing some of the bill.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » January 14th, 2013, 9:39 pm

BTW, there is a sign facing 12th St showing the ugly Oslund winter rendering with 'COMING SOON'.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » January 14th, 2013, 10:10 pm

I am pretty sure those signs have been there since September?

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » January 14th, 2013, 10:28 pm

BTW, there is a sign facing 12th St showing the ugly Oslund winter rendering with 'COMING SOON'.
Yes, unfortunately. The "coming soon" sign will be there for awhile. I really doubt the renovation project to retain most of the current plaza's design will move forward quickly. It's very clear that city leaders (and some important people involved with the orchestra and Orchestra Hall renovation) were in favor of Oslund's proposal. I suspect there are some hard feelings. It will be a long, long process before anything happens :(

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » February 5th, 2013, 9:35 am

Another downtown landmark is having trouble with the homeless, I bet it's Peavy Plaza attracting them to the area. http://www.startribune.com/local/minnea ... page=2&c=y

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » February 5th, 2013, 10:24 am

Another downtown landmark is having trouble with the homeless, I bet it's Peavy Plaza attracting them to the area. http://www.startribune.com/local/minnea ... page=2&c=y
Tear that slum down!!!

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » February 5th, 2013, 11:48 am

The old Mpls library had a similar issue for as long as I can remember. And homeless hanging out in libraries is common in most big cities. I doubt you can ever really "solve" this problem. It's just a question of managing it so the environment stays safe and peaceful, and the library can be used for its intended purpose. Same idea goes for Peavey Plaza.

fehler
Rice Park

Postby fehler » February 6th, 2013, 9:01 am

Sure it can be solved.
1) Open a public, internet-only "library". Nothing but rows and rows of computers free to use all day, in a nice metal shed hidden away from the well-to-do. Cut down on the mass of access at Central.
2) Start charging for computer access at the Central Library.
3) Enforce loitering laws within the library.

web

Postby web » February 6th, 2013, 9:19 pm

sounds like class warfare to me.......just because someone is homeless doesn't mean they are "disruptive" on the computer.....this article is lumping all into the same boat. I am sure the teens who are causing the problems are probably not homeless.

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » February 6th, 2013, 11:34 pm

This is not a class warfare issue, but it is an issue that needs to be addressed. I refuse to take my children to that library anymore simply because it is disgusting in there. Men use the sinks to bathe in, the carpeting and many chairs are urine soaked, and building itself is just plain filthy. The county cannot pay enough to maintain the facility to a clean standard because they cannot keep up with it. I've spoken to the staff there and they have simply given up, it's a losing battle. It's sad to see such a significant investment be left for crap!

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » February 7th, 2013, 11:02 am

oh i dont know...ive never had an issue there, i love the central library and growing up in minneapolis this has always been something you have to contend with. some people smell...there are reasons for that. put your head around living on the streets, it's a terrible way of life.

what is different, as has been pointed out, is that the library has basically become an internet cafe/book depository. isn't the purpose of the public library to serve all? these people do not have the means to have internet access, something we all now take for granted as a way of life. so we have the computer use in the center of each floor, easily monitored by staff, bless those people who toil away working at the central libary each day. i always see security making the rounds when i'm there and feel safe. and i avoid the bathrooms...i mean that's just common sense, unless u really really need to use it, bathrooms in this type of public space aren't going to the taj mahals of cleanliness. what do u expect, scented soap and soft music?

but it's a great building and i could think of worse places to have to work everyday.

Ubermoose
Nicollet Mall

Postby Ubermoose » February 7th, 2013, 11:50 am

sounds like class warfare to me.......just because someone is homeless doesn't mean they are "disruptive" on the computer.....this article is lumping all into the same boat. I am sure the teens who are causing the problems are probably not homeless.
Class warfare??? The article talks about putting homeless in touch with county services to help them out.
Homeless issues are up in the neighborhood as a whole, with drinking and people passed out in skyways and such. I work security in the area and the issue is witha very small percentage of the homless. The teen problems have been down in my area because it is winter, but up until November we had numerous problems with teen crime and mobs.
I feel sorry for the people who work at the library and have to deal with some of the issues that go on, that they probably never dreamed would go along with the job.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » February 7th, 2013, 12:39 pm

I have lived in a downtown condo building for years, and my neighbors and I unanimously agree that if we had beat cops ( with good people skills and special training) who consistently patrolled the "hot spots" downtown we would have a large reduction in nuisance and more serious crime. They are a significant deterrent. The sad truth is our city government lacks the will to really make an concerted effort to do anything concrete. They have this reactive, bandaid approach you see every year with increasing security after a very serious problem arises. Case in point was the terrible situation in Peavey Plaza last summer.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » February 7th, 2013, 1:08 pm

I have lived in a downtown condo building for years, and my neighbors and I unanimously agree that if we had beat cops ( with good people skills and special training) who consistently patrolled the "hot spots" downtown we would have a large reduction in nuisance and more serious crime. They are a significant deterrent. The sad truth is our city government lacks the will to really make an concerted effort to do anything concrete. They have this reactive, bandaid approach you see every year with increasing security after a very serious problem arises. Case in point was the terrible situation in Peavey Plaza last summer.

The city like many others out there have limited fund to do that type of police work. THey are spending money on the larger issues. IF we could get more money for lawenforcment then things would get better. But until we get some leadership in Washington that will unlock money for cities, it will not happen.

martykoessel
Landmark Center

Postby martykoessel » February 7th, 2013, 4:45 pm

Should we be starting a Minneapolis Central Library thread?

Sticking on this subject, I spend a lot of time in the Central Library, and I'm very pleased with the new approach Security and staff are taking. I know many of the homeless there by sight and sometimes by name, and a majority are people whom I genuinely like. All are struggling financially and many face mental illness, alcoholism or drug addiction.

However, some are just plain nasty people. These folks, beyond being merely disruptive, abuse other people verbally and sometimes physically, steal, vandalize and create a hostile atmosphere.

The point I got from the recent article is that Security and Library staff are working better together to walk that fine line between showing appropriate compassion and letting the Library fall into chaos. There are more people in the Library to help the homeless and staff is better trained on how to deal with them, yet there is less tolerance for the nasty persons and for gang-bangers, drunkards and persons reeking of urine.

The men's stalls in the restroom off the atrium used to function as permanent offices for the homeless, and the wastebasket there was often chock full of discarded gin and rum bottles. No more. Security responds quickly when someone gets out of hand, so staff and patrons in general don't have to feel threatened. This is good.

By the way, the Children's section has always felt safe and comfortable, since solo adult homeless persons have never been welcome there. To get into the children's bathrooms a key must be requested from a librarian, and they are clean and safe.

So, despite seeing an increasing number of homeless people, I think the Library feels better than it did a year or two ago. It's not being allowed to fall into ruin, and it serves well the people who are legitimately using all it has to offer, homeless or otherwise.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » February 7th, 2013, 8:03 pm

Should we be starting a Minneapolis Central Library thread?
I mentioned the article because one of the main reasons often quoted by 'Demolish Peavey' cheerleaders is that it's become a place where the homeless congregate.

gahwi003
Metrodome

Postby gahwi003 » March 23rd, 2013, 10:32 pm

Since this is now registered as historic, will there be any work done on the plaza? I'm a little confused.