Peavey Plaza

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
helsinki
Landmark Center

Re: Peavey Plaza reconstruction project

Postby helsinki » October 19th, 2012, 2:45 am

Many homeless prefer the street to shelters because shelters are not nice places. They are violent, incidents of sexual assault are high, and theft is rampant. Also, let's not kid ourselves, in addition to mental illness many of the homeless are serious substance abusers. Shelters have strict drug and alcohol policies - this keeps the homeless away also.

nasa35

Postby nasa35 » October 19th, 2012, 6:15 am

Many homeless prefer the street to shelters because shelters are not nice places. They are violent, incidents of sexual assault are high, and theft is rampant. Also, let's not kid ourselves, in addition to mental illness many of the homeless are serious substance abusers. Shelters have strict drug and alcohol policies - this keeps the homeless away also.
Do you have a link supporting that?

helsinki
Landmark Center

Postby helsinki » October 19th, 2012, 7:23 am

Do you have a link supporting that?
Here is one of many: http://www.tonic.com/post/why-many-home ... -shelters/. They are not hard to find.

Another interesting aspect that the article above briefly mentions is that once people become homeless, it is incredibly difficult for them to land any sort of job and reintegrate. Just showering and having clean clothes becomes an huge logistics problem.

JMS9

Postby JMS9 » October 19th, 2012, 10:12 pm

I don't know why anyone would need a link to "support" anything Helsinki said. Nothing he said was outrageous.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » November 14th, 2012, 9:36 am

Peavy has now been submitted to the NRHP:

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php? ... 9797221745

Cross your fingers.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » November 14th, 2012, 10:16 am

Peavy has now been submitted to the NRHP:

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php? ... 9797221745

Cross your fingers.
YEAAAHHHHHHH!!!

*Fingers Crossed*

:)

612transplant
Nicollet Mall

Postby 612transplant » November 14th, 2012, 11:55 am

I for one don't know much about this process. What does the timeline look like?

Also, my understanding is that the NRHP is rather arbitrary in its standards....is this a Hail Mary pass?

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Postby mplser » November 20th, 2012, 10:26 am

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » November 20th, 2012, 11:43 am

This is so awesome. :D . The decision to demolish the original plaza without preserving some of its original character was poor judgment on the part of Oslund and the city.
Last edited by John on November 20th, 2012, 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seth
Metrodome

Postby Seth » November 20th, 2012, 12:12 pm

This is great news!

Maybe it was posted in this thread already, but I didn't know that the original designer had been asked to make improvements to the park that would maintain its significance and help meet the city and orchestra halls requests.
The Cultural Landscape Foundation (TCLF) and the Preservation Alliance of Minnesota (PAM) today unveiled a new design concept for Minneapolis’ Peavey Plaza, developed by award-winning landscape architect M. Paul Friedberg, the site’s original designer.
http://tclf.org/landslides/m-paul-fried ... avey-plaza

612transplant
Nicollet Mall

Postby 612transplant » November 20th, 2012, 12:22 pm

Friedberg was on the design team, initially, but resigned..."creative differences."

The design in your quote was pretty much ignored by the city. Hypothetically, though, if the NRHP saw it, it could substantiate the claims that Peavy does not need a design overhaul at the scale or cost that the city wants...

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » November 20th, 2012, 12:33 pm

Friedberg was on the design team, initially, but resigned..."creative differences."

The design in your quote was pretty much ignored by the city. Hypothetically, though, if the NRHP saw it, it could substantiate the claims that Peavy does not need a design overhaul at the scale or cost that the city wants...
Was he actually originally involved from the get go? I thought his submission for redevelopment arrived too late for review, never really taken seriously, and was eventually deemed to expensive?

Konante
Nicollet Mall

Postby Konante » November 20th, 2012, 1:30 pm

What's the next step if this happens? It sits idle until sufficient money is allocated to re-do it?

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » November 20th, 2012, 1:59 pm

What's the next step if this happens? It sits idle until sufficient money is allocated to re-do it?
Technically it was going to sit idle until they had enough money to re-do it anyways. their plan was what 8 mil? and the preserved plan was like 10 mil... not really THAT different. But I think historic status gives them some added financial benefits?

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » November 20th, 2012, 2:26 pm

WOW it's like night and day differences!!

"interacting with water"

OR

"Dinning in a park"

considering the downtown market and 80% of all children I see are so tiny they are still in strollers I wonder how enjoyable they will be having there interacting experiences with the water elements. :lol:

The only thing I don't like is the restaurant is out of the line of sight a few well placed signs would help people learn that such a restaurant is just steps away! Though lining a plaza with retail signs is not a good idea though I think if done tastefully It would be an fantastic addition to Nicollet Mall. I don't see how anyone could disagree with the original developers new plans! It fits in much better than the other redesign and having a restaurant will draw in more people and increase the usage of the plaza. Its cheaper I think the outdoor digital screen could be removed from the plan for some cost cutting but I sure hope this plan is the they actually build when the time comes!

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » November 20th, 2012, 2:28 pm

That restaurant reminds me of Millennium Park in Chicago or Rockefeller Plaza in NYC. Pretty cool idea if you ask me.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » November 20th, 2012, 2:36 pm

And that awesome suspended pedestrian bridge solves a lot of the accessibility problems, and looks pretty sweet. I think cool enough to draw people into the park, and back towards the potential restaurant space.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » November 20th, 2012, 3:15 pm

^^^ A much better proposal and having a restaurant is a great idea. Now, can there be a compromise between all the stakeholders in this renovation project :?:

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Postby mplser » November 20th, 2012, 5:33 pm

I like the restaurant idea. Reminds me of the cheesecake Factory in Chicago. And they kept the fountains in the corner! :D

612transplant
Nicollet Mall

Postby 612transplant » November 20th, 2012, 6:13 pm

You had me second guessing my memory here, so I googled it:

http://tclf.org/news/features/charles-b ... -proposals

I think this was Friedberg's official "bridge burning" with the city on this project, and the juncture at which we started referring to the city's endorsed redesign project as "Oslund's."

Granted, that link is a little bit ambiguous about whether Friedberg and Birnbaum were ok with the project when they submitted it to the city, but at least they absolved themselves eventually...