Thrivent HQ & Moment apartments - 500 7th St & 650 Portland Ave

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
grant1simons2
IDS Center

Re: Thrivent HQ & Sherman apartments - 500 7th St S

Postby grant1simons2 » May 7th, 2020, 6:06 pm

That’s nice, but what can you tell us about this part of the meeting?
https://www.startribune.com/police-minn ... uu-i-57owM

Oh my lord.

karlshea
Nicollet Mall

Postby karlshea » May 7th, 2020, 8:48 pm

Zoom's security problems were well-known before the pandemic, so it's not surprising it happened on that platform.

relux
Metrodome

Postby relux » October 15th, 2020, 10:35 am

From October 9th

Austinite
Nicollet Mall

Postby Austinite » October 15th, 2020, 11:09 am

Great shot. I really like how Thrivent's new HQ turned out. I didn't realize there was a ramp leading to underground parking.

Wish Hennepin County would do something with the exterior back side of Thrivent's old building. At least paint it so it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » October 15th, 2020, 12:55 pm

I believe that the solid portion is granite facing, so I'd say that's better than any paint they might cover it with.

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » October 15th, 2020, 2:49 pm

A mural would be an improvement, but I agree that if they were to just paint it a solid color it would be worse.

BigIdeasGuy
Union Depot

Postby BigIdeasGuy » October 16th, 2020, 12:41 pm

Or the city could have said the proposal on the backside of the building with twice as much parking as housing is crap go try again but that ship has sailed.

And yes I know Thrivent demand those spots which isn't the problem the problem is how bland and unimaginative the surrounding apartment building is.

Austinite
Nicollet Mall

Postby Austinite » October 16th, 2020, 12:49 pm

Or the city could have said the proposal on the backside of the building with twice as much parking as housing is crap go try again but that ship has sailed.

And yes I know Thrivent demand those spots which isn't the problem the problem is how bland and unimaginative the surrounding apartment building is.
I actually like the design of the building. True - wish it had been taller. More importantly, should included street level retail to cater to the increasing number of residents and workers in this area, as well as visitors to the park, stadium instead of skyway level retail.

HKM
Metrodome

Postby HKM » October 20th, 2020, 10:03 am

I actually like the design of the building. True - wish it had been taller. More importantly, should included street level retail to cater to the increasing number of residents and workers in this area, as well as visitors to the park, stadium instead of skyway level retail.
There is a coffee shop with beer and wine on the street level of the building on Portland Ave. I could be mistaken but it appears it will be open to the public in non-covid times since it has outdoor entry, signage (small round sign semi-obscured by trees in the absolute nearest corner of the pic), and space for outdoor seating. Not saying this is adequate retail, but beats empty storefronts.

It will be interesting to see what street-level retails goes in with in-development projects nearby:
*Daycare planned for street level of adjacent apartment building
*There is a diner planned for the street level of the (stalled?) "Smith Lot project" at the SE corner of 7th Street & 5th Ave
*Street level retail is planned for the under-construction building on the south side of 8th Street between Park and Portland (there's a new-build Wells Fargo branch on the SE corner of 8th & Portland)
*Vacant street-level retail at NE corner of Washington & Park
*TBA street-level retail at Zygi's under-construction building on SW corner of Washington & Park

MinnMonkey
Landmark Center

Postby MinnMonkey » January 25th, 2021, 11:21 am

At the end of this article it says the apartment project is expected to break ground in April.

https://m.startribune.com/developers-of ... 600014602/

"Sherman said that he is still proceeding with plans for an April start date on a nearby 220-unit rental building on what is known as the Thrivent block, but he has adjusted his expectations on rents and has adjusted the unit mix to better meet changing market conditions."

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

contrast
Nicollet Mall

Postby contrast » February 1st, 2021, 12:48 am

Article/update on the Firefighters for Healing component of the project:
https://www.startribune.com/downtown-mi ... 600017417/

This is a really great collaboration between Sherman and the nonprofit- and its great to see the city quickly addressing the ordinance so they can proceed. Sherman said he expects construction to begin in April and wrap up late in 2022.

uptownbro
Rice Park

Postby uptownbro » February 1st, 2021, 11:04 am

Even if this isnt the most "exciting" project its still a great addition to this side of downtown and the city as a whole. Every project that breaks ground this year in my view is a win and will help with the build up of elliot park.

grrdanko
Landmark Center

Postby grrdanko » February 1st, 2021, 11:33 am

I'm excited about the Skyway connection to the hospital. This is a big deal for mobility limited people. It also connects the largest downtown employer to the rest of the system. That's a big win for the cbd.

luigipaladio
Nicollet Mall

Postby luigipaladio » May 10th, 2021, 3:02 pm

Business Journal says that Sherman has purchased the half block for this project. Hopefully, this means there will soon be construction. Filling out this block will definitely strengthen the neighborhood. Yes, it would be a good spot for something taller, but under current circumstances, getting this project built is a plus. Now let's see some proposals for some hefty residential towers closer to the core.

MinnMonkey
Landmark Center

Postby MinnMonkey » May 10th, 2021, 5:24 pm

Equipment has arrived on this block today, hopefully it is for this project. They mentioned a couple months ago they were hoping to start construction in April. Image

Austinite
Nicollet Mall

Postby Austinite » May 10th, 2021, 6:16 pm

Equipment has arrived on this block today, hopefully it is for this project. They mentioned a couple months ago they were hoping to start construction in April. Image

Looking at how this is all going to pan out - is the mid-block only designated for drop-off/pick up? Just thinking this would be great area to create a shared street - with street level retail/restaurant space on otherside. Really wondering why Mpls. doesn't focus on creating new retail/restaurant nodes downtown (not counting North Loop - which has nicely developed organically). Nicollet was really destroyed by allowing huge office/residential developments with huge lobbies off Nicollet with either no or very limited retail/restaurant space. The Wells Fargo development fronting The Commons was a huge missed opportunity. There should have been retail/restaurants completely lining the street level instead of apartments - think - dry cleaners, branch of Sebastian Joes, quick grab and go restaurants. The skyway of both buildings of Wells Fargo are also severely lacking.

MinnMonkey
Landmark Center

Postby MinnMonkey » May 11th, 2021, 6:27 am

More equipment arrived this morning. I think this one is a go.

sanchopanza
Metrodome

Postby sanchopanza » May 11th, 2021, 5:42 pm

Excited to see this go up.
What is going on across Portland? Staging or new construction?

MinnMonkey
Landmark Center

Postby MinnMonkey » May 11th, 2021, 6:52 pm

Excited to see this go up.
What is going on across Portland? Staging or new construction?
That has just been storage for plywood and barriers for the trial. Right now I don't think there are any plans for that lot, but it hasn't been used for parking for a while.

MinnMonkey
Landmark Center

Postby MinnMonkey » May 12th, 2021, 12:22 pm

This project has definitely started.