O2 - Washington/Portland Mixed Use - 22 stories - 247'

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
NickP
Target Field

Re: Washington and Portland Mixed Use - 22 stories - 252'

Postby NickP » January 23rd, 2020, 9:51 pm

It looks like they went back to the previous coloring of the tower.

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » January 24th, 2020, 9:01 am

The design is quite attractive, but you cannot call a project "transit oriented" and then build one parking space per unit, plus a ton of extra public parking (with three separate entrances and curb cuts!!). At best, this is "transit adjacent."

Sorry Sherman, I don't make the rules.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » January 24th, 2020, 10:40 am

This whole site looks great. Sherman used to be a pretty prolific condo developer, though I think they got burned pretty bad. With the minor tweak to condo defect lawsuit laws having passed the legislature back in 2017, it doesn't seem to have made much of a difference for most developers. F&C and Twin Cities Business used to publish articles like "Where Has the Condo Market Gone?" pretty regularly in ~2013-2017, but I haven't seen anything recently. It would be nice to see comments from Sherman and Mortenson, etc on the current state of why they aren't doing condos. This 22-story building would seem to be a fit for condos, as would Sherman's "Encore" building in the Mill District. Same with Mortenson's Rafter in NE, etc.

rhettcarlson
Nicollet Mall

Postby rhettcarlson » January 24th, 2020, 11:07 am

I like the white metal paneling this and Nordhaus use. Not cheesy neon colors and such a nice break from Mortenson fiber cement panels.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » April 8th, 2020, 9:02 pm

This is finally coming to the CPC for approval next week - here's the packet.

I'm hoping the incoming recession doesn't kill this one. I don't know if the extra-complex financing scheme they must have assembled (market-rate apartments, subsidized apartments, city-owned fire station, privately-owned and operated public parking structure) makes it more or less or less vulnerable to that sort of thing?
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Silophant

Postby Silophant » April 13th, 2020, 4:32 pm

And it passed, including the staff-recommended conditions to get rid of the proposed blank north wall looming above the Crooked Pint building and, more importantly, getting rid of the extra entrance-only curb cut to the parking ramp on 3rd St. Hopefully they can get started this summer.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » January 20th, 2021, 8:50 am

This is back, and I am thrilled.

It's now two stories shorter, with ten fewer units, seventeen more resident parking spaces, and forty-eight fewer bicycle parking spaces. The design has also been VE'd a bit.

So why am I happy about it? Because the independent parking ramp that was planned at the heart of this project has been scrapped entirely, replaced with only a small surface lot. That's 316 parking spaces that will never be built, a net change of 285 parking spaces on this project. I suspect that with uncertainty about office working in the future, Sherman decided a commuter parking ramp wasn't worth the gamble. Regardless, this project will now add a net of just 83 parking spaces to this site (existing lot has 222 spaces), while adding over 300 new homes (90 of which will be available at 60% aMI). A big win for affordability and the climate.

Now let's hope this actually breaks ground.

uptownbro
Rice Park

Postby uptownbro » January 20th, 2021, 9:12 am

I cant but find the tower very disappointing now as with each new design it looks cheaper.

Silophant

Re: Washington and Portland Mixed Use - 20 stories - 226'

Postby Silophant » January 20th, 2021, 11:27 am

A little disappointing that so much of this downtown site now reads as a one-story building from the street, but good to see it still moving forward, and good to see the giant parking ramp gone. That's an interesting development, since the public ramp wasn't something Sherman wanted, necessarily, but a condition from Allied Parking to allow sale of the site - the development had to include a public ramp with more spaces than the lot had and sell it back to them to continue to operate. So it's not so much Sherman deciding that SOV commuters aren't the future of downtown so much as it's a parking operator deciding that, which is big news.

Interesting that the skyway connection is marked as "future". If it doesn't get built as part of the initial project, I can't really imagine such a long dead-end portion being added later. Maybe they're still trying to talk the Crooked Pint and Eagle Bolt building owners into connecting to it and helping to pay for it?
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » January 20th, 2021, 3:29 pm

Man, 3rd could be a good street for continued retail, restaurant use for the stadium and new density. Walk-up units and fitness rooms just take that away entirely.

Austinite
Nicollet Mall

Postby Austinite » January 20th, 2021, 4:51 pm

Man, 3rd could be a good street for continued retail, restaurant use for the stadium and new density. Walk-up units and fitness rooms just take that away entirely.
I've frowned on street level walk-ups and street level amenity spaces in all these new development for a while, especially in the downtown core. Does nothing to activate the street, and honestly hardly ever seen anyone in most of the fitness rooms. I think it's kinda funny it seems residents with gyms continue to fork out money to pay for gym memberships, etc.

Austinite
Nicollet Mall

Postby Austinite » January 20th, 2021, 4:54 pm

The street-length lobby and amenity space along 4th for the 365 Nicollet never should have been permitted.

Brenns
City Center

Postby Brenns » January 21st, 2021, 12:52 pm

I've frowned on street level walk-ups and street level amenity spaces in all these new development for a while, especially in the downtown core. Does nothing to activate the street, and honestly hardly ever seen anyone in most of the fitness rooms. I think it's kinda funny it seems residents with gyms continue to fork out money to pay for gym memberships, etc.
It's not great, but restaurant and retail space was a hard sell to developers even before the pandemic. Still a net positive for density as far as I'm concerned.

Edit: Quoted the wrong post - fixed!

BigIdeasGuy
Union Depot

Postby BigIdeasGuy » January 22nd, 2021, 1:03 pm

Maybe they're still trying to talk the Crooked Pint and Eagle Bolt building owners into connecting to it and helping to pay for it?
That building may survive this building cycle but I'm guessing it doesn't survive the next one.

grrdanko
Landmark Center

Postby grrdanko » May 31st, 2021, 3:33 pm

Looks like they are getting ready to start. The billboard has been taken down and equipment is being delivered to the site. ImageImage

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » June 3rd, 2021, 4:50 pm

Finance and Commerce had an article yesterday about the land purchase.
https://finance-commerce.com/2021/06/sh ... n-project/
It's locked, but the synopsis has:
An entity related to Sherman Associates purchased land for the developer’s three-building, multiuse project in downtown Minneapolis for $10.5 million late last month. The Minneapolis-based developer plans to construct two apartment buildings, including a 21-story tower, as well as a Minneapolis Fire Department station on the site.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » June 3rd, 2021, 8:18 pm

Site all torn up now

martykoessel
Landmark Center

Postby martykoessel » June 4th, 2021, 3:05 pm

Will the new fire station be built before the old one is torn down, much like the Larking managed the Wells Fargo branch?

Silophant

Postby Silophant » June 4th, 2021, 3:14 pm

Yep. And it's now a separate version, unlike the previous plan which had the underground parking extend under the fire station building. So, it should be faster to build, presumably.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » June 16th, 2021, 7:31 pm

Its amazing how Sherman can be so good at executing project after project, and Alatus can suck so bad at it! They both do similar developments, but only one can execute.